Tiberian Dawn - The Huge Collection (single player)

Chimas

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone,

Given the recent announcement, I'm really interested in knowing, extra-officially, if the MAP EDITOR in the Remaster edition will be able to import this collection (maps, triggers, teamtypes, etc) or if it is only for Skirmish and Multiplayer?

I hope EA don't scrap away this valuable asset.
I'm asking to Jim_Intern on reddit, but I don't think he will even read, due to the amount of hype (and posts) right now.

Any answer is welcome.

I would honestly choose custom content any day over a remastered edition of C&C if it meant I would lose all these campaigns. It just wouldn't be worth it.  I mean, if I wanted good graphics, I would have already moved to one of the other remakes of C&C out there.

Edited by Lightning Hunter

• 2 months later...

I made GDI pack 340 / SCG340

I got way into C&C again.  Been since 1995.  Told the other commander from back then.  Now I've built him an expensive computer as a result of our RTS-lust on his dime.  I'm going to load as many levels as I can and I'm not going to hear any guff about it.  I intend to release GDI pack 380 also.  Chimas needs to get in this thread again.  That pack of 1996 levels had some freshies.  alien, alien_2, alien3, ambush, armagdn, betrayal, diecast (2 and 3 are savegame only), dinoramp, impossbl, killem, militia, tgw1_3. r_cy should have an .ini, it's listed in the readme contents, but someone muffed it at some point so it's just savegame.

SCG340 = https://mega.nz/file/ouhwHaAJ

Key is #gJy5OQ-jTd-kOb9RNKJe7qlHXajMVJAXbAOdipZEMnA

This is real, now.  I compressed the work Chimas does, with all the spreadsheeting and double-checking and formatting and naming with the numbers like he had them prepared and all that, check the Base count and the Structures and the TeamTypes and Triggers and all sorts, into a short period instead of his leisurely pace.  I've got the Excel sheet, still working.  But it made me temporarily insane when I went to notify the forum.

So I'd intended to just release GDI pack 340 as a "beta1" but the big red notice made me just put it out here.  Seems right though.  Gave Darkstar387 the linebreaks people would always ask for.  Indicated NES number of each while still having room for the climate and map size tags in the map load screen.

What about MattAttack's excellent Pro campaign replacement level pack to make up part of GDI pack 380?  I'm confused by his stipulation that no one's allowed to touch his work.  It seems no one has touched it at all, since using it in his required format means replacing ¾ of one's campaign, then having to fix it to play normally, then again to check his maps with your saves.  It's more realistic to put them in GDI pack 380 as a beta release people can actually enjoy, play the levels, and offer feedback.  Will tag them explicitly in the map load like for the Darkstar387 levels, with numbering.  Sorry to blow the secret level and the cash trigger but I think it's worth it to have people actually play the levels.  People want to load a level, enjoy a nice looking map with a good challenge or critical thinking or skill required, whatever people like.  But they don't like moving save files around and replacing/un-replacing .MIX files.  That's what is keeping these old-school savegame levels from being in these packs, file manipulation fatigue.  People couldn't be bothered to include the .bin and .ini with their releases, it put upon the end user too much.

This spreadsheet is baller.  Just shook loose another new level from some 2001 ancient web page's zip files.  Everything named wrong, most levels in the packs already.  But this one nugget shines through.  Not just a flash in the pan.  Genuine unique fingerprint thanks to the data in the spreadsheet.  No briefing is always a bummer, but means I get to play it and write mental things.

Chimas, do you ever laugh yourself silly seeing the original 1995 and 1996 briefings?  People's mission.ini things talking about how "John Luke" wants you to "make it so" and don't get "beamed up'" by the laser towers, with crazy spelling and grammar from the 11-year-old authors.  Love it.  DOOM WADs all over again.

Alright now I just found Crash2 that goes in between Crash Override and Crash3 in the packs already.  This is big.  Another freshie.

Note: this is definitely a beta1 type of pack, given the SoloMission=True flag and the need to doublecheck BuildLevel in all the levels.  And make sure no Briefing videos were un-linked.

SCG340.7z

Edited by Chrons
Chimas has more levels according to the spreadsheet, we can make SCG380 if MattAttacks authorizes it.

On 3/12/2020 at 4:39 AM, Chimas said:

Hi everyone,

Given the recent announcement, I'm really interested in knowing, extra-officially, if the MAP EDITOR in the Remaster edition will be able to import this collection (maps, triggers, teamtypes, etc) or if it is only for Skirmish and Multiplayer?

I hope EA don't scrap away this valuable asset.
I'm asking to Jim_Intern on reddit, but I don't think he will even read, due to the amount of hype (and posts) right now.

Any answer is welcome.

Map format is 100% unchanged.

Now... this'll be immediately clear when the game releases anyway, so I don't think there's much harm in posting it here:

Since the remaster does not use name formats to distinguish multiplayer maps from single player scenarios, the single player maps need the ini key "SoloMission=True" in their [Basic] section in order to be accepted by the Remaster as custom scenario.

This key obviously has no effect on the classic game, so there's no harm in just adding it to everything. So add that to the inis and you can prepare this collection for the Remaster.

9 hours ago, Nyerguds said:

Since the remaster does not use name formats to distinguish multiplayer maps from single player scenarios, the single player maps need the ini key "SoloMission=True" in their [Basic] section in order to be accepted by the Remaster as custom scenario.

This key obviously has no effect on the classic game, so there's no harm in just adding it to everything. So add that to the inis and you can prepare this collection for the Remaster.

Wow I'm glad I just saw this... I was just about to update my campaign.  I'm assuming I still do this even if my missions are replacing the original campaign?  i.e. scb04ea, etc.?

Matt, ever hunt down any of those custom videos?  The Covert Ops MIX kept some new ones right in there with the levels.  Where do these YouTube videos of cut content come from?  Surely some could be restored to VQA.  Make a story where Kane has a weird stroke and the WIN= him doing that 1994 promotional speech.

12 hours ago, MattAttack said:

Wow I'm glad I just saw this... I was just about to update my campaign.  I'm assuming I still do this even if my missions are replacing the original campaign?  i.e. scb04ea, etc.?

I have no idea about campaign replacement, sorry. This is just about addon missions; the remaster equivalent of putting stuff in the New Missions menu.

Hi Nyerguds,

Thanks for the heads-up, the INIs will be updated in the weekend. Every game might work differently in regards to mods and workshop material on Steam. If it's simple, the collection can be uploaded in the first or second week after release.

Hallo Commanders,

Some plans for the short term:

1. - I've been busy and sometimes overloaded due to the COVID19 consequences over the economy.  I'll participate more often from now up to the second semester. Just don't expect me to be agile, things will be done over time;
  2. - Release of this collection on Steam after launch;
  3. - Focus on stand alone missions first, both GDI and Nod. So, campaign and mini-campaigns will have support later. Have no plans at the moment to organize Skirmish maps;
  4. - Focus on the "authors" of the past, from 1995-1999. Guys like @Darkstar387 and @MattAttack are here with us and can answer your questions and suggestions directly, so let's keep praising their work in their threads. Updating the works of all the contemporary authors since 2000 will be dealt later in the collection. I'm telling you this because if we get a second fever on publishing (like it happened in 1996), the mapmakers will have to wait;
  5. - A thread about this collection will be created in reddit, but cnc-comm will remain as the main source of updates and news. A short version of this thread will be kept in cncnz.com also (right now it's outdated);
  6. - In Steam, this collection will be classified as easy-to-mid level of difficulty,  at least for the first batch of missions (95-99). The reason for this is to attend better the casual player that might not perform well in the multiplayer scene;
  7. - The first upload of the collection might contain only the missions made by Andrew Griffin as a form of tribute (for a few days), regarding how the fan-made missions started back in 1995. It will work also as a place holder.

I'll be answering more matters soon. Feel free to make comments.

• Like 1

Hey guys! It's been a long time since I said something here.
Hi @Chimas, thank you for making the huge collection of solo missions in TD. If you don't mind, would you not publish my mini campaign (scb90e# with # being a - e)with the collection on Steam workshop? I'd like to publish myself when the time comes. Also I will be adding to Steam the multiplayer maps that I have made from 7~8 years ago and some new ones.

Regards

2 hours ago, GiftS said:

Hey guys! It's been a long time since I said something here.
Hi @Chimas, thank you for making the huge collection of solo missions in TD  ...

Regards

Hi @GiftS,
Certainly!
I am holding all missions published after 2000 and also mini-campaigns.
Take your time, revise your maps and good to see you back.
Thanks for the kind words.

• Check 1

You find a zip containing Park Kwan-soo's r_cy.ini from 1996 yet like it did originally on release?  Here are the details for the GDI part of the old-school pack and some Angelfire levels from packs with previously added maps.  Have sources if needed.  I guess I statted out the Nod levels also, throwing them up.  Don't forget Messiah as one of the modern mega-designers with his Discovert Ops set, he updated map 7 in October 2018 and hints at more to come.  His might not be compatible with the new release though?  What's the word on that, the special 1.06c compatibility things like Color flags and BioLab/Temple penetration?  Was fun editing Messiah's mission briefs, his English is only very slightly askew so one is able to maintain the full intended meaning of every word and sentence.

new.old.levels.png

new.old.levels.2.png

new.old.levels.3.png

new.old.levels.4.png

Edited by Chrons

Hi Chrons,

Thanks for the contact, just to let you know that I'm not a native speaker in English language, so eventually I require a more formal expression, this way I can keep up with the conversation. Please, make better use of paragraphs or bulleted list whenever the subject changes.

17 hours ago, Chrons said:

You find a zip containing Park Kwan-soo's r_cy.ini from 1996 yet like it did originally on release? 

I remember having seen a Park Kwan somewhere, won't be able to check it now. If it's not in the list, it's because it was broken, the map was poor or also the source I got it from was not sufficient. If you have a playable mission, send it in and I'll check what I can do about it. The list of missions you exposed via Screenshot are probably missions taken out.

I try to keep and fix missions that I believe are interesting. So there are cases that the map is a "boring" empty terrain and you find 12 power plants on a corner, so you can clearly see that those were not designed to be missions, just challenges between friends or some sort of testing.

Not everything is perfect on my side too, the Wounded Eagle campaign has some problems (unfinished maps), but I noticed only after release and opted to keep it there.

Don't forget Messiah as one of the modern mega-designers with his Discovert Ops set, he updated map 7 in October 2018 and hints at more to come. 

I think after 2017 I didn't add anything new at all, from any mapmaker. I think I saw the Discovert set thread and talked sometimes before 2017 with Messiah, but don't remember why I didn't bring in more.

His might not be compatible with the new release though?  What's the word on that, the special 1.06c compatibility things like Color flags and BioLab/Temple penetration? 

My collection never covered MODs, but we had some things like different theater sets like Snow, Amazon, Barren, which I don't know now what's gonna happen with them. Things will happen slowly, that's why only solo missions will be released first.

Another missions the collection does not cover are the missions with dinosaurs. I'm not against them, but believe they should be in a pack of its own. Whenever I find one with dinosaurs, I replace. But I don't keep track of them. Anyone is free to round them up and put together in a pack.

@Chimas, thank you for all your hard work, and for keeping this discussion going! I know I have been a bit absent lately, but I'm excited to see what the community cooks up now that the source code is out in the wild. I started playing the Remaster last night and I've been extremely impressed so far. I fully plan to port my custom missions over to the Remaster once I get a chance to check out the mission editor and the file organization structure and figure out how to submit files to the workshop. 

Has anyone here tried to simply copy and paste the map and initialization files from a custom mission over to the remaster yet? Lifes been too busy and I havent had a chance to try it myself

24 minutes ago, Darkstar387 said:

@Chimas, thank you for all your hard work, and for keeping this discussion going! I know I have been a bit absent lately, but I'm excited to see what the community cooks up now that the source code is out in the wild. I started playing the Remaster last night and I've been extremely impressed so far. I fully plan to port my custom missions over to the Remaster once I get a chance to check out the mission editor and the file organization structure and figure out how to submit files to the workshop. 

Has anyone here tried to simply copy and paste the map and initialization files from a custom mission over to the remaster yet? Lifes been too busy and I havent had a chance to try it myself

Hi  @Darkstar387, thanks for the kind words and hoping to see you soon on Steam. 

I put a sample in there, just look out for the HUGE collection, only 1 mission at this point to test the platform too. It's easy to upload, you use the map editor directly for that and, in that sense, it's easier than at least I was used to do when organizing and publishing the files here. The only drawback is that you have to upload each mission at a time, but i am the only one severely harmed for an obvious reason. Maybe you and @MattAttack either? You both have by now a large collection. But you still can put them together as a collection inside the platform, although each one still separated. The platform tells that, depending the configuration you choose for the collection, it will update on the subscriber side everything that is in the collection. But then, there's the other option that I didn't understand yet.

Also, I'm waiting @Nyerguds tell us what's gonna happen to his project once I have some misions with Snow theater and/or different colorschemes.

47 minutes ago, Darkstar387 said:

Lifes been too busy and I havent had a chance to try it myself

You don't say! I'm working weekends now since mid march, only one or two I was able to stop. I'll be uploading missions slowly, but it'll be fun anyway. 

Vixe,

Forgot to mention the easiest part.
Copy and Paste all *.bin and *.ini files in a folder like: C:\User\Documents\CnCRemastered\Local_Custom_Maps\Tiberian_Dawn
Then open the MAP Editor (after launching the game, the option will appear), open a mission you droped there by choosing the *.ini file, and then, in the FILE list, besides "save" and "save as", you'll have "publish". The rest is intuitive ...

I'll write how I want and I'll do what I want.  This is the pack that I call GDI 380, containing 40 additional levels to go with these packs as well as with 340's 40 levels.  Dabbing on MattAttack.  Dabbing on Messiah.  Dabbing on everyone.  These will work with the remaster, but Discovert Operation missions probably won't.  Maybe they will, who cares.  I'm the best man—I did it.

SCG380.7z

2 hours ago, Chrons said:

I'll write how I want and I'll do what I want.  This is the pack that I call GDI 380, containing 40 additional levels to go with these packs as well as with 340's 40 levels.  Dabbing on MattAttack.  Dabbing on Messiah.  Dabbing on everyone.  These will work with the remaster, but Discovert Operation missions probably won't.  Maybe they will, who cares.  I'm the best man—I did it.

SCG380.7z 287.39 kB · 3 downloads

...Wut?