Tiberian Dawn - The Huge Collection (single player)

Chimas

Thanks guys, no worries on the defensiveness heh, discussion is what gets the ball rolling :)

if you happen to be standing on the waypoint [glow=blue,2,300]17[/glow], I don't believe the chopper will even appear onscreen.  You may hear "reinforcements have arrived," but nada....

haha, i experienced this too. EVA says "reinforcements have arrived" and i'm waiting there and nothing shows up :P or sometimes the chopper makes a brief cameo..

Hi RC,

I think you should make a more fair assessment, before saying the mission is "very" broken. If you don't take into account that you're a good competitive player (rather than a casual player), any mission will be easy.....I find hard for you to have fun with SP missions.

Actually, I had great fun doing the mission. My style is usually to find out where the AI's weaknesses are, then exploit them and end the mission as fast as I can - so I have something nice to show on YouTube :P That is why I ordered Airstrikes at the NW corner, knowing it was there. The mission always gets fun when I succeed in discovering the weak points and developing strategies from there.

You made a good point though about competitive vs casual players in SP missions, which I'll talk about later on.

The Chinook problem is not a mission problem, rather a game problem, as explained by Matt. I don't think it's a problem: in real life it will land whenever is possible, just like in-mission. The fact that you get annoyed by not having the reinforcement, just emphasize how cool the mission is. You have to adapt and go ahead.

I actually beat the mission without the chinook reinforcements and it's actually better that way - without the engies, the enemy airstrip would make a harvester. I then captured the ref, got some extra money from the silos and an active harvester; that sped up the game by a few minutes. But that's not the point really..

Matt actually explained the proper way to program the chinook, so there is an element of human error here...no disrespect to Lin Kuei, I can see from this mission that he's got good skills. For consistency though, reinforcements should at least arrive on the map. What happens right after they arrive is uncertain of course; we can accept this uncertainty.

The lack of power is something I'll have to check...

Yup. The mission would be on a whole new level if all obelisks were powered. That would give me a new challenge and of course more fun!

About the uncapturable BioLabs...But you can't call it "very broken" just because of the last 2 enemy structures standing up in-game.

This is the main reason why I felt the mission was broken, and like what you mentioned in your later post, no matter how easy the mission is, it'd be frustrating to realise you can't beat it..

The only way a mapmaker have to counter your gameplay style is by making a fast paced game. The only mapmaker doing modern missions like that is MattAttack.... In one hand, it's coward to the casual player and in the other hand it's a way to get more replayability (desired by players too). So mapmakers have to ponder about the right point of balance.

This is the strongest point that you've mentioned and you're absolutely right. It got me thinking not just about the different approaches in creating missions, but playing them too. A developer who makes missions for casual players might not like to see a competitive player beat the game quickly, while developers who make challenging missions want the opposite. I've got mostly good responses for my speedrun videos, but there are others who feel that the mission should be played 'as they are'; their opinion is valid as well.

Based on my anecdotal experience, most players in any game tend to be casual (about say 80%), then there are the semi-competitive ones (maybe 18%) and another 2% who strive to be the best. So logically easier missions will gain a wider audience. To get the ‘right balance’ and most popularity, putting easy missions at the start (say missions 1-4) would give a good impression and retain your audience so at least more people are talking about them for the moment. What happens at the later levels is your choice – if popularity is still the main objective, continue making them relatively casual and easy…if you want pro discussions then make them super tough. Risks - making all missions easy would get you dismissed by the pros, while making all missions tough would make most people quit at level 1 and not talk about it any further.

In any case, I hope more people would play the missions and upload videos of their playthroughs. As you know videos speak a lot more than just forums posts..

Sorry for such a long post :P

........The BioLabs have been addressed in its own thread and the author didn't change it.

ha ha... I thought you were totally calling me out-- I didn't realize you were referring to LKO!  well at least it motivated me to FINALLY fix the errors in BIOLAB.  (After I uploaded, I noticed 1 tiny misaligned cliff edge, but I'll let it go until I revise it for my TD for Pros campaign)   

• 4 weeks later...

QA collaboration

user: Taurus 1620

- I also want to draw attention to an error in the package with the designation SCG094EA -Tiberium Island M-05: Tiberiate War, the occupation of buildings engineers the game ended as a failure ;

- SCG 95 Wounded Eagle - just after the beginning of the 14's during the second mission ended as a success and continues for 15 mission;

- SCG099EA The GDI Airforce (except 4 missions - line operations NOW, after successfully destroy the enemy base and the remains of troops remained on    the radar continues red-moving targets on the map ... invisible to almost 10 attempt :-) I ended the game I'm not uncovered the lower right portion of the map where the error occurred;

- SCG105 Death Mate, SCG133 Maximum Operation Overkill - after the mission errors recap, playing time, the number of destroyed, lost or units of buildings and scoring

- SCG119 War Zone - after the destruction or capture the enemy base and the enemy remains behind the maps after sending intervals infinite number of reinforcements from my perspective unplayable mission

- SCG129 Jungle Fever - right at the beginning of the game (about 5 minutes playing) at the same time there is an error message: The instruction at 004288a6 referenced memory at 00003104. The Memory Could not be read from;

- few days later: Regarding the previously mentioned mission SCG129 Jungle Fever, complete the mission without any application errors when you do not expect and passively at the outset seize the north bridgehead, during the game the more errors there;

- SCG148 The March To Prague several times I literally froze pc. At the end of the mission when the attack on Airstrip NOD responds massive counterattack air, at the same time hangs not only the game, but overall pc stops communicating. This is quite a serious error;

- SCG160 Yucatan - Terror in the Peninsula, quite interesting and recreational mission, after about 15 minutes, takes place at exactly the same time an error message - The instruction at 00498f6b referenced memory at 0000b0f1 or 0000be23...mission can not be completed;

- SCG 165 XR 47, when the position of the radar game freezes. The game can be completed, but without the use of radar;

- SCG169, after 2 hours of heavy battles and gaining ascendancy game put another enemy in the form of application errors :-)

- SCG171 can be completed, if not waiting passively in a defensive position ... a greater number of enemy units game can not properly function and leads to application errors.

- SCG173 is probably badly treated missions from the author ... can not be completed

- SCG 206 - Devil or the Deep Blue is not for the average player to finish, includes many application errors ... personally I completed the mission to erase the configuration settings - Air2 = Time, REINFORCE., 150, Multi6, a10s 1 plus two more items I have not put down in fury. Practically about every other game has problems, but some exceptions can be holy patience to complete the mission;

- SCG207 Rescue Operation - your task is to rescue Dr. Moebius, the problem is that Dr. Moebius map does not exist, the mission can not be completed.

I created this post to keep adding Taurus findings over time.

Taurus doesn't speak english, so some things have to interpreted. For example, in SCG207, he is saying that there is no DR Moebius in the map.

If anyone else have something, I'll add it here.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone else played NOD 108:  Dr Death by Sunny Lee?  Man, that mission seems impossible!  I don't know if it is bugged or not, but I only received three commandos, two Stealth Tanks, 11 bazooka men, and a Mammoth Tank.  This seems like a lot, but you have to face multitudes of SSM Launchers that you can't reach (which is really unfair), 10-15 Mammoth Tanks, hundreds of enemy bazooka men, chemical troopers, guard towers, and much more.  When I reached the enemy base, I received a few more reinforcements that were useless - since they were cut off from my main force back at the start.  You have to kill EVERYTHING to win.

I beat the other missions by Sunny Lee with no problems at all, and I haven't had a mission stump me like this yet.  I know it can be beat if you keep saving/loading until each battle is won without losing any troops, but that is just a stupid way to win a mission.  I shouldn't have to save/load much, if at all.

Well, I beat it - but it took hundreds of saves/loads. :P

The ending statistics were ridiculous, and made me realize how lousy the scoring system is in C&C.  I lost 13 men, and killed 528 (including around 15-20 Mammoth tanks using only a handful of men to do so).  I lost 0 buildings (since you don't get buildings in this mission), and destroyed 23.  My ending score?  122 measly points.  If this had been a real military victory with 528 killed to 13, it would be almost like the 300 Spartans in Thermopylae.  XD

Hey guys, I'm finishing the review of a Nod campaign here (SCB92: rebirth of Nod by David Galli).

In some missions, there are some teamtypes where the TEAM PRODUCED PARAMETER* is 100 teams.

I hope those missions work later.

* G letter in Nyergud's manual

SCB092EA - The Rebirth of Nod II by David Gali II

M-01: Operation Ion 2  |   M-02: Waypoint action   |   M-03: Operation Ion   |   M-04: Island Assault   |     M-05: GDI Strike

M-06: Ion Theft    |    M-07: Operation Ion VII    |     M-08: Construction sabotage  |   M-09: Operation Ion 9

M-10: Green Beret Grunts   |    M-11: A New Ally    |     M-12: The fall of GDI I    |    M-13: The fall of GDI II

M-14: The fall of GDI III     |    M-15: The Rebirth of Nod

::: Link1 ::: Link2 ::: 

\edit

taking the second "L" out, now making corrections in other places ...

Edited by Chimas

Hey guys, I'm finishing the review of a Nod campaign here (SCB92: rebirth of Nod by David Galli).

In some missions, there are some teamtypes where the TEAM PRODUCED PARAMETER* is 100 teams.

I hope those missions work later.

* G letter in Nyergud's manual

oooh... if autocreate is not checked off, the AI will automatically produce 100 of that team.  Kind of overkill, because unless it's a team of 1 technician, it's unlikely that 100 teams will be produced before the player starts killing them.  See my post: "Punishing Players for Abusing Savegames"

SCB091EA - The Rebirth of Nod by David Gali II

M-01: Civilian Attack    |     M-02: UN Mixup    |     M-03: Counter Strike     |     M-04: Blindside     |     M-05: Pass

M-06: Chemical Strike   |     M-07: Tiberium Scare     |     M-08: Power Test    |     M-09: Technology Leak     |     M-10: A Traitor's death

M-11: Technology Theft   |      M-12: Ion Theft     |    M-13: Operation Ion

::: Link1 ::: Link2 :::

Edited by Chimas

Pack SCB090 is complete.

SCB090EA

After War

by GiftS

Missions M-01 to M-05

If you have the folowing packs in your C&C folder, you can remove them:

Nod - SCB91.mix, SCB92.mix, SCB93.mix, SCB94.mix, SCB96.mix, SCB97.mix, SCB98.mix, SCB99.mix

GDI - SCG91.mix, SCG92.mix, SCG93.mix, SCGB94.mix, SCG96.mix, SCG97.mix, SCG98.mix, SCG99.mix

They are now inside SCB90.mix, SCB95.mix, SCG90.mix, SCG95.mix

CnC Catalog is updated ::: link1 ::: link2

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi to all.

This is mine first time posting here.

I like to play campaigns in mine spare time and this huge collection is golden!

Yesterday I played:

SCG094EA - Tiberium Island by Andy Bridges and found some bugs in missions.

- 05 is finished at beggining because MCV is comming to late, ending the game before you even start.

- 07 is giving crash error: 0x00498f6b in cnc95.exe because 3 reinforcement at the end of a mission are comming in same time (as I learned from google = blocked reinforcements are crashing the game)

I changed 05 and 07 ini files to work properly and finish the campaign.

corresponding ini files are in zip.

Hope it helps, and thx once more for great collection.

SCG094EA_fix.zip

Heh. I'm quite sure your google result you got was my own research thread about these on CNCNZ ;)

So... heli reinforcements for the same house spawned at the same game tick can cause the helicopters for some of the teams not to get created correctly, hm? That's actually interesting information. I assumed it was related to reinforcements having either the same target waypoint, or having their waypoint blocked off, but these three triggers on the same tick in this mission spawn three different teams, and each of these has a different landing location.

Still, could be that. Can you confirm that when the crash happened, you didn't block off the place where the units tried to land?

By the way, it seems you actually removed the original at15 trigger in the WB mission... don't think that's necessary. If the above hypothesis is indeed correct, this kind of errors should be resolved just by making them one game tick apart, like this:

at15=Time,Reinforce.,349,BadGuy,Atk_B0,0
at16=Time,Reinforce.,350,BadGuy,Atk_B1,0
at17=Time,Reinforce.,351,BadGuy,Atk_B2,0

After all the mission maker definitely intended them as end-of-mission rush, so putting them much further apart makes little sense and just changes the intended mission finale.

Hi!

Heh. I'm quite sure your google result you got was my own research thread about these on CNCNZ ;)

:D that is the reason why I c/p your statement here, it was helpfull topic

Still, could be that. Can you confirm that when the crash happened, you didn't block off the place where the units tried to land?

You can replicate the crash if you add  at15, at16, at17 at the begginig of scenario or any where in script.

And yes, I am not bloking waypoints.

By the way, it seems you actually removed the original at15 trigger in the WB mission... don't think that's necessary. If the above hypothesis is indeed correct, this kind of errors should be resolved just by making them one game tick apart

I removed at15 but added another Atk_B3 with same units as in B0 and B2 teams and change waypoint becuause (please tell me if I am wrong) waypoints are on the edge of map, and what I found out is that all units from teamtype will not go out of chinook if there is no space around him.

That is what looks to me.

I am no map maker, this is mine first time even looking in ini files, so I must be wrong, but I think it is good thing to report if something is not working.

After all the mission maker definitely intended them as end-of-mission rush, so putting them much further apart makes little sense and just changes the intended mission finale.

That is funny part, all units don't go out of chinook if there is no space arround him. So I just added the waypoint where is space around, but still not to close to main base, because chinooks (that are landing in side your base) are destoyed in air by towers and Mtank.

Oh, I didn't see the teamtype you added! That's some nice work there, yes; you adapted the number of unit types correctly and everything :)

Thankfully, C&C1 missions are pretty easy to understand just from looking at them a bit. In RA, there's hardly any text left in the triggers and such; it's all just rows of comma separated numbers O_o

That is funny part, all units don't go out of chinook if there is no space arround him.

Ah. I see... and, I assume, as long as the "unload" command isn't finished, they never progress on to the "attack base" one, meaning they never move out of the way, either... :huh: