CnCNet Forums

Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
stoz

Can't Install Tiberian Sun on Pop! OS (Ubuntu / Linux) - Download Failed dotnetfx.exe

Question

Hi,

I installed cncnet_1.0_all.deb successfully however when it tries to run the initial setup/update it gives an error:

Download failed: Success.

In the window behind it seems that it is trying to download dotnetfx.exe and failing with the error "Cannot connect".

Subsequent attempts to launch cncnet give the following error:

0009:err:mscoree:CLRRuntimeInfo_GetRuntimeHost Wine Mono is not installed

However, if I run

rm -rf ~/.local/share/cncnet

then run cncnet it will open the cncnet window with the same "Download failed: Success." error while trying to download dotnetfx.exe

I am running Pop! OS 20.04 which is based on Ubuntu 20.04. Any help is appreciated.

Screenshot from 2020-08-02 10-37-30.png

6 answers to this question

Not sure why this would happen, but you can try the following:

rm -rf ~/.local/share/cncnet

Now modify the "cncnet" bash script and change this:

INSTALLER="$WINEPREFIX/drive_c/CnCNet.exe"
INSTALLERURL="https://downloads.cncnet.org/CnCNet.exe"

To this:

INSTALLER="$WINEPREFIX/drive_c/CnCNet-dotnetfx.exe"
INSTALLERURL="https://downloads.cncnet.org/CnCNet-dotnetfx.exe"

Now run cncnet again.

You should be able to get to the launcher now, but i'm not sure if the downloads will fail in there as well or not

Having the same issue on Pop-os as well.

Can you please explain the second part of changing the bash script? I downloaded the .deb... where can I find the bash file?

2 hours ago, linuxuser said:

Having the same issue on Pop-os as well.

Can you please explain the second part of changing the bash script? I downloaded the .deb... where can I find the bash file?

It's in /usr/bin/cncnet after you install the .deb.

edit it with sudo nano /usr/bin/cncnet

Got past the first download issue, but now I've hit another download fail. I opted to install the full game of TSF...

Looks like the picture didn't upload. Anyways the failure is at movies02.exe with a status of cannot connect.

I can launch the game but when selecting the single player I get an unable to load the scenario with an ok box then it kicks back out to the GDI or NOD campaign selection screen.

Any chance there is another download alternative that I can point to?

Thanks!

I guess it might be a good idea to install a different version of wine, looks like a wine bug to me

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By bk57
      Finnaly learned to use SHP. editor and after cople of days of hard work made some new skins for Tiberian Sun
      They could be used on cncnet even after modifying files you will still be able to play multiplayer

Download: GDI sidec01.mix - Nod sidec02.mix
      Put them in "...TiberianSun_Online\MIX\put_here" replace "sidec01.mix" and "sidec02.mix".
      Backup files before in case you change your mind to use old ones after again. Enjoy!
      ____________GDI____________

___________Nod___________

Note: I found sample templates online all I had to do was photoshop for some time.
    • By default user
      Hi everyone,
      I know there several posts out there on Virtual Machine LAN networking, but I haven't come across any referencing VMware ESXi.  Was hoping I could start one.
      Here's what I'm trying to do...
      I have a ESXi host running vSphere 6.5.  On it are several VM guests running Windows 10 (build 1903).  All VMs are using VMNET3 virtual NICS, w/8GB RAM, and quad core vprocs.
      I'm having a heckuva time getting LAN networking to run for any CNC game (Dune 2000, TD, TS, RA - doesn't matter, symptoms are the same).
      On the VM, all games install successfully using the latest builds.  All will run without error too.  
      On the example below, I'm running Dune 2000.  As you can see in 'screenshot 1', it does not allow me to join or create a new game.  What's interesting is that the IRC client does not appear to load despite being previously installed.   The Windows firewall is turned off.

Now, by contrast, on a regular laptop - the same game installer will allow me to create a new game or join an existing one.
      I welcome your thoughts.

• By Divatox
      A little help, im trying to do this situation:
      A have 2 bases for the AI, NOD1 and NOD BASE
      After i destroy 3 power plants, 1 obelisk of light will supercharge and explode. (in NOD1)
      On final sun how can i make this happen?
    • By Stukade
      I read the post about the "Esc button bug" but it wasn´t helping me.

When i press by mistake "Esc" in a game the menue pops up and the mouse is missing. So i have no chance than killing the game by Ctrl+Alt+Del (whats often kills the game for others).
      - Tiberium Sun
      -Win10
      Are the "Renderer" settings the reason? I´m using "automatic".
    • By [email protected]
      Want to change the units colours to GDI or Nod palettes but i can't find a way to in XCC Mixer and SHP Builder only seems to have RA2 stuff so i don't know. Is there anyway to do this, i just want to have accurate campaign unit colours.