How to install Red Alert 1 on Windows XP Vista 7 8 10 Linux MAC. 32 / 64bit

FunkyFr3sh

ah nice, thanks for testing! i've seen you talked about Tiberian Dawn compatibility modes in the other thread, that was actually what was needed to be tested :) I tried to remove them automatically during the install/patch on 64bit systems, did that work for you ? or did you need to go to the game folder and remove the compatibility modes manually for red alert too?

compatibility mode remained on C&C but i don't remember seeing any on redalert so i guess it worked on redalert but not on C&C. I'm currently trying to get C&C-TS working but the d/loads don't have the nod campaign or the expansion. I do have the registered ultimate pack, but that as you know doesn't run on win 8. so it looks like i can't get the full lot of the ultimate pack working :( well so far.. lol..

Hi Funky,

i enabled in RedAlertConfig the option "small infantry". it works fine but 2 inf's are excepted: the tesla trooper (soviet) and the mechanic (allied).

maybe i did something wrong. if yes pls tell me what:-)

anyway, big thx to keep this fine game alive.

greets.

Hi again,

i tested your older version of RA1installer (v1.61) / V3.03P2EAM

after a full installation with both addons, i replaced the original file HIRES1.MIX with the fixed one for small inf's (size: 462828 byte)

i started RA with aftermath.exe and chose the Aftermath mission "Shock Therapy". And what did i see.. small inf's:-)

So, the graphics for the 2 new inf's in aftermath seems to be available.

• 1 month later...

i fixed that longer time ago (small infantry bug), it does now work online and offline :)

its mainly a updated redalertconfig.exe, you can get it here:

http://funkyfr3sh.cncnet.org/files/ra-config.7z

but its also in the latest ra1installer.exe and the mini cncnet multiplayer package!

sorry about it, i totally forgot to tell you that its fixed :/

Hi XainSH!

I just tested it but i could not reproduce it, did you maybe use save games? can you upload your settings files (ddraw.ini and redalert.ini) ?

I saved the game right before i won mission 2, maybe you can get to mission 3 using my save game (attached it to this post)

There were some problem with the cnc-ddraw files and the credits screen if i remember right, i dont think it has been fixed ever :(

SAVEGAME.zip

Sound like the flaw found in older Iran .exes. I think it was fixed after 3.03P R264. The bug was that if you loaded a Ant Mission saved game you would get a Unable to read Scenario error after you won. Oddly you could play all of the Ant Missons in one sitting just fine. Iran said it was a CD check in the loading code, it was preventing the game from recognizing the savegame as an Ant Missions.

Credits background was removed for some kind of bug and has never been fixed.

What version are using? I dug around and found that R282 was the verson that fixed the saved game bug with the ant missions. The newest I have is R82 that has the updated secondary color scheme that makes the MCV and Ore Truck say the main color and changes aircraft to secondary color.

R82 seems to be working fine was well.

Hello I have been having this issue and cannot switch firewalls. I use Comcast, it pays free for my Norton security, every other day I wake up and Norton's Sonar Activity has removed the cncnet.exe file. So everyday I have to re install, re install maps, re adjust settings, reinstall music, I try to run as admin, im on windows 7, I try to click Allow cncnet.exe in my firewall section for Norton. Please if Anybody has any suggestions on how to make this work, I can not change Internet Security. Thanks

All norton users have the same problem, cncnet5.exe is getting deleted after each update with an alert containing "WS-Reputation", it deletes the file cause it is new and therefore has a low reputation according to norton ... "WS-Reputation" is NOT a virus, so please dont think it is (many people sadly getting scared cause they dont know what the message means)

What you can do is:

1. Upload the file to norton and they will add it to their trusted list on the next update (usually takes 1-2days). Note: everytime there is an update for cncnet5 you will need to upload the file again and wait once more 1-2 days until you can use it (i did that before, but im not doing it anymore cause i dont like to support their broken programs..)

2. Get a better anti-virus program, all the free ones have a higher quality than norton. With norton you getting hammered down with false detections and you cannot really know if the file really got a virus or if its just another false alarm ... one day you will just start to allow everything cause its not clear which file got a virus or not and you dont have any security anymore at all

also, read this: http://www.codeandweb.com/blog/2012/06/23/how-symantec-ruins-independent-developers

Updated to 4.6.0.0:

Added ra95_Mod-Launcher.exe (You can use that file to launch ancient mods, it wont break the mods since it doesnt load custom mix files)

Updated RedAlertConfig.exe (Fixed the problem with ddraw.dll which stopped the config from saving the settings)

Updated Inno Download Plugin (version 1.3.2 - https://code.google.com/p/inno-download-plugin/ )

The Installer will now ask you to swap the CD's if you try to install both CD's but you only have one CD-Drive

CnC-DDraw will now be disabled by default for Windows Vista users