RA Multiplayer Mod - "Tiberian Alert" - by Ferret

Ferret

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Could you perhaps make some video's, that highlight certain unique (if not all) units? And how you came to their initial designs?

Some constructive criticism by oppinion: Those faction bonuses at page one, need some more thought to them. In sufficient usefulness and balance.

Could you perhaps make some video's, that highlight certain unique (if not all) units? And how you came to their initial designs?

Yeah absolutely! Good idea.

Some constructive criticism by oppinion: Those faction bonuses at page one, need some more thought to them. In sufficient usefulness and balance.

Thank you for the insight, I appreciate the thought. Noted.

Ok.

4 things to keep in mind.

Smallest issue

+10% isn't the same as -10%

110/100 < 100/90

1,1 < 1,11

Thus we have 10% compared to 11%

Second issue

+10% damage isn't the same for all combinations. You need to see what kind of change you see in the number of hits. Theoratically, this could go from +0 to +200%. So, I advice to set up a table of every possible weapon against every possible target for a faction. And compare it to the default. The average should be +10%. If not, adjust the basic bonus.

The same goes for ROF, +10% isn't true. You don't spend time on the first hit for most weapons. The effects can be the same theoratically, +0 to +200%.

Third and most important issue

That -10% on costs. With the given above, is actually 2 times +11%.

Most wargames treat units as a body and weapon. Normal units have a 50%-50% distribution between body and weapon. Walls are 100% body. And glass cannons are close to 100% weapon.

Now, if most units are these 50-50 units. And the average of the entire army should be 50-50. Then +10% damage would mean 50-55. This is 105%.

-10% costs can be regarded as a 111% unit.

The only thing that nerves this 111% unit is a money map. Where costs don't matter.

But on money maps, you also have that -10% build time. Which works on army size AND resource managment. Skilled players on money maps will always pick Turkey. And on low money maps, it will be Russia.

Last issue

+10% speed? Does that even have use on small maps? Or is the reduced damage still in effect on faster units?

I think, that the only things you should play with are: ROF, damage and health.

Don't adjust build time and costs if the maps are very different. But if the money is fixed and relatively low for every map, you can add them without problems. Adjusting build time requires a lot of play testing.

Why no adjustment on range for a faction?

I think, that others have their own view on these things. But I like the math side of games.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...