Tiberian Sun, Windows 8

Dan9550

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It works!  I had previously replied asking for more details, this is the edited version.  I had selected that same 16-bit option, along with Run as Admin, and WinXP SP2 compatibility mode, but had not run it in Windowed mode (or to be more precise, I did try Windowed mode, but not with all the other options at the same time).  The combo of all of these changes, and the wrapper DLL just dropped into the SUN folder with no other options, worked like a charm.  The game is perfectly playable, just like it was on Win7.

To summarize :

1). Create a shortcut to Game.exe

2). Right-click Properties - Compatibility - Compatibility Mode - Run this program in compatibility mode for Win XP Service Pack 2.

3). Same compatibility dialog box under Settings - Reduced Color Mode - 16-bit

4). Same compatibility dialog box under Privilege Level - Run as admin

5). Shortcut properties - add " -win" to the end of the Game.exe Target so that it reads: [whatever directory]\SUN\Game.exe" -win

6). Edit the SUN.INI file video section to put in whatever video size you like (for instance, 1280*1024)

7). Go to this site : http://bitpatch.com/ddwrapper.html  Download the ZIP file, and unzip ddraw.dll and aqrit.cfg files to the same directory where you found Game.exe

Done!  Works like a charm.  Thanks Turboman!

Thanks,

DD.

Hi.

I registered only to say that I too have this problem, and this solution doesn't help, sadly. I have Windows 8 Pro 64-bit edition. I'm doing exactly like in the quoted post and I get this:

209Nwl.jpg

However, when I set the compatibility mode to either Win98 or Win95, the game starts, but with some awful colours, here:

Wq2zol.jpg

Is there anything else I can do?  :(

(...)

Then i uninstalled the game and downloaded the game from this site, did all the fixes again and now i was able to play for about 30 minutes without a crash. Unfortunately i did not have time for longer session now, but this looks promising.

(...)

What do you mean "downloaded the game from this site"? May I download alternative version of TS somewhere on this site?

Woah man! I didn't even know that TS is freeware now. I downloaded the game from the link you gave and it actually works, thanks! The problem is, it works... barely. The framerate is so choppy, and the game crashes so often that it's pretty much unplayable... oh well...

Well try this:

Disable all compatibility settings on game.exe and extract this into your TS folder:

http://tore.cnc-comm.com/TS_Win8fix.zip

Thanks, it works almost perfect now.

There are a few little issues so far that I've noticed: it crashed once after trying to start a new mission, I can't alt-tab of it and the menu still disappears from time to time, mainly after I save a game. But who cares really, I can finally play this game on W8. Thanks once again!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys, I noticed that users on this forum are active and have knowledge, I loved the feedback users gave to each other here

I tried my best to read all the comments here before answering (with a solution) just to make sure I don't answer something that is already answered

I noticed that you shared a file to be placed on the TS folder, which is a good fix

I made a tutorial today on how to play Tiberian Sun Online on my Blog, and on the same Tutorial I answered many questions related to the game, like the "Glitchy Menu Thing"

I saw many users posting on other forums another way (the best way) to solve the glitch on the game menu, without the (alt+tab) thing

Your post is about a problem with the game menu, feel free you can check my http://saidi-theory.blogspot.com/2013/01/play-cnc-tiberian-sun-online.html

This message goes to all the users: This tutorial teach you how to Play TS Online and it contains Q&A Like the glitch with the menu

I shared my tutorial since the technique on my tutorial was not shared here yet

I'm not spamming and if you have a question feel free to ask me  :)

I want to share my experience and to learn from yours

Good luck :)

I'm not sure if maybe I missed this, maybe I'm just stupid, but I still don't understand how to change the configuration in the ddraw download located in the earlier post, I saw that ForceDirectDrawEmulation needs to be 1 as does NoVideoMemory, but I don't understand how to change them :( I have downloaded the CnC graphics patcher as well as the http://tore.cnc-comm.com/TS_Win8fix.zip and applied all of the compatibility settings, but the gameplay is still choppy and menus freeze whenever I save the game. If somebody could just post how to change the setting in the config of the ddraw that would be great, if not I'll make-do I guess. Thanks for all the help! 8)

Huh, so you mean this may just be caused by power saving options?

Yes, and this fix works perfect for windows 7 users

I installed Windows 8 today and I couldn't fix it

and the menu glitch that I'm facing is exactly like the one posted by a guy on this forum

It is different from the normal glitch

on Windows 7 32x

Corrupted Menu ~ Works when clicked on it ~ But is corrupted

OR

Frozen Menu ~ Can be Unfrozen by using the scroll on the touchpad to activate OSD

Both (Corrupted and Frozen) menu on Windows 7 can be fixed by using "High Performance" plan, it's kinda obvious why it only happens with laptop users

on Windows 8 64x

Its totally frozen ~ Scroll thing doesn't work, and like the guy said "You can only hear thing, but you can't see anything"

I'll try to search for a fix, which seems impossible to me.. I have some theories and I'll check them tomorrow

And I hope that my theory is right since 85% of the users on the worls skip that thing.. I hope it works it works.. if it does I will post it here tomorrow

Thanks and Good luck

I had the same issues on Win8 x64. The ddraw.dll fixes made it possible to play but i had always scrolling lags and sometimes issues with the menus (mostly saving). After a lot of try&error i've found a way were these issues are gone (well main menu isn't centered because of static resolution, but i think thats no real problem).

1. Compatibility mode for Game.exe (only 16bit colours and admin)

2. sun.ini resolution 1362x740 (max screen is 1366x768 but removing some pixels at the borders solved scrolling lag)

3. used http://bitpatch.com/ddwrapper.html with NoVideoMemory = 1 and rest default

4. start Game.exe with -win for window mode

i've played some games with saving and so on without any issue...

Well I guess i'm cursed lol I tried your fix and it seemed to work, but then as soon as I scroll tells me main executable has stopped working!  XD Then I tried a couple of other things and now it doesn't even open the game anymore  :P ill keep fucking with it, once again thanks for all the help guys

I was looking for a solution and was trying various things on this thread and found a method that worked for me.

Now I'm using the TFD version running windows 8 pro 64 bit, I don't know if we're on a certain or different version by now, but I think if I have it working, I should let it be known how.

obviously I have the 1.0.3 rev 4 patch installed.

I was running into the whole no menu thing.

I have the comparability on windows 98 / Me, 16 bit color, run in 640x480, and run as admin.

The only real changes I made were to add the files a from the ddwrapper zip and the TS WIN8fix zip.

For what its worth, I'm also using sun.exe, not game.exe

EDIT: I just did a complete uninstall and re-install and confirmed that this set up still works.

ddwrapper and IE-ddraw aren't compatible with each other. There's no point in combining them it only results in wasted disk space.

Does sun.exe work, but not game.exe for you Izzyness? If so then Microsoft might apply some compatibility fixes on sun.exe, but not game.exe which would be rather interesting.

Hm..... I had not realized that they are not compatible with each other.

I was really trying all methods.

Then I suppose just the win8 fix did it.

And you are right, I just tried to run it without the ddwrapper files and things still worked fine.

And I just copied the compatibility settings over to game.exe and things still worked.

The only thing I can really tell you out of the ordinary is that my graphics card, nvidia 660m GTX, is handling the game, not intel hd graphics (I'm using a laptop if it hasn't been given away by now).

And I'm using the 310.90 nvidia driver.

Perhaps run the game with the graphics card?

• 5 months later...