C&C development

Zjorz

nobody likes the crate and nobody would turn crate on in serious match.

u played for few days and don't know wth is going on. I just asked this idea to some other people and they all want to see airstrike in higher tech. It's just matter of how we are going to adjust it.

Personally I would give that strike to GDI and increase its reload timing twice longer than ion cannon recharge so it sort of balance out.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't mind GDI having air strike in mp. If it's possible to create a new tech level ( 8 ), Nod could have the strong nuke you have in singleplayer while GDI could have Ion Cannon+Air Strike but both only in tech level 8. To balance things out the nuke might be usable only once like in singleplayer/unlimited and/or GDI could have a lower/higher quantity of A-10's at it's disposal accordingly or longer/shorter "reload times" for Airstrikes. I support this idea at least, and as long as it's tech level 8, you don't have to worry about changing TD forever, since you could always play tech level 1-7 with the weak mp nukes and no air strikes.

Just my 2 cents.

u played for few days and don't know wth is going on. I just asked this idea to some other people and they all want to see airstrike in higher tech. It's just matter of how we are going to adjust it.

Personally I would give that strike to GDI and increase its reload timing twice longer than ion cannon recharge so it sort of balance out.

I played it in the last couple days I also played it a few times a few months ago.

I personally think the airstrike should be a campaign-only weapon or a crate powerup in MP, like the parabombs in RA

Well, I just happen to like playing non-serious matches :roll:

By the way, even if the airstrike was in the game... what would it be linked to? The Comm Center? That would give it to GDI pretty much right away, meaning even a full power nuke would in no way balance it out. GDI would bomb the shit out of everyone early game.

and if Nyerguds does this, I (and a lot of other players) would blame him forever. FOREVER! :P

foreverrr__pinkie_pie_vector_test_by_aln447-d4nvj2t.jpg

By the way, even if the airstrike was in the game... what would it be linked to? The Comm Center? That would give it to GDI pretty much right away, meaning even a full power nuke would in no way balance it out. GDI would bomb the shit out of everyone early game.

and if Nyerguds does this, I (and a lot of other players) would blame him forever. FOREVER! :P

foreverrr__pinkie_pie_vector_test_by_aln447-d4nvj2t.jpg

that's why I said increase reload time for airstrike. Only 1-2 SAM can take care of A10 so A10 is virtually useless.. If you don't have any anti-air structures or units by the time the enemy has COMM, u must be serious noob.

Talking about the reality, game pretty much end before anyone even build for COMM.. Let's play 1v1 Nyergud and go ahead make COMM and watch me kill you before u even blink your eye.

An large poney image that I won't quote

that's why I said increase reload time for airstrike. Only 1-2 SAM can take care of A10 so A10 is virtually useless.. If you don't have any anti-air structures or units by the time the enemy has COMM, u must be serious noob.

Talking about the reality, game pretty much end before anyone even build for COMM.. Let's play 1v1 Nyergud and go ahead make COMM and watch me kill you before u even blink your eye.

Heh. I WON'T build Sam-Sites in most games, unless my enemy is spamming Helicopters. Even then I usually spam rocket infantry and bikes then :P Also, A single SAM site won't even destroy a Chinook, so it is someway useless alone.

As told above, people does NOT build comm-centers unless he want to build AGT or Obelisks, or even commando rush. The Comm. center is somehow useless to GDI, since usually people do Tank Rush with GDI, and for getting the anti-everything Mammoth tanks you only needs Repair Bay.

An large poney image that I won't quote

Aw. That sounded like a pretty obvious reference to me :P

http://youtu.be/MmRYccuXWNA

Wow, what game have you been playing? In the campaign, I once put a map FULL of SAM sites just to see if they'd finally manage to destroy the airstrike. No dice. From the moment there's more than one plane, they'll ALWAYS reach and bomb the target, because the SAMs close again after killing one plane, which makes them lose ridiculous amounts of time while the rest flies on to their destination. The only things that can properly take out A10s are owned by GDI.

Also, you assume I know how to change the reload time of superweapons. I don't. I don't even know how they're linked to buildings, except for the fact it uses the broken Prerequisites system. It's very possible that if I link the airstrike to the Comm Center, some random civilian building will also get the ability, and on some maps (Village of the Unfortunate, most probably) you'll get civilians bombing the crap out of the most northern player. I already had problems with that after giving the civilian buildings power to prevent the ridiculous 0/0 balance decaying; it caused the Witch Doctor's Hut building in Desert theater to get a fully functional ion cannon ability. The only reason the same doesn't apply for the nuke is because only a Temple has the ability to actually do the launching animation.

...really? You're going there? "amg I'll beet u onlien to prov my poitn"? I don't even play competitive multiplayer! I like games with crates and Mobile HQs. I use retarded tactics like teching up to advanced comm from the start just to see my opponent wonder how the hell I ion cannoned his weapons factory in early game. I like C&C for its fun factor, not the retarded "ololol im bettar thn u" competitive side. I don't give a damn about rebalancing the game, since I'm pretty sure Westwood is better at balancing than I am. It's my patch, and as I said, I won't touch it. See also, the Pinkie Pie image above, and Pichorra's relevant comment on the subject.

Also, my name is Nyerguds. Nyer-guds. Knee-air-goods. Capische?

Heh. I WON'T build Sam-Sites in most games, unless my enemy is spamming Helicopters. Even then I usually spam rocket infantry and bikes then :P Also, A single SAM site won't even destroy a Chinook, so it is someway useless alone.

As told above, people does NOT build comm-centers unless he want to build AGT or Obelisks, or even commando rush. The Comm. center is somehow useless to GDI, since usually people do Tank Rush with GDI, and for getting the anti-everything Mammoth tanks you only needs Repair Bay.

Well... Thing is the A-10s might be able to take out bikes and rocket soldiers before they can effectively shoot down the things, let alone the fact that they have shorter range so they might be less effective in defending other units or buildings from the A-10s.

/OT Are Mammoth Tanks really that powerful? :D Thought they were less effective than a grenadier/hum-wee/med tank combo.. So the question arises, are mammoth tanks in fact actually effective anti-bike units? Any real pro feeling like commenting on this? Lovehandles?

Wow, what game have you been playing? In the campaign, I once put a map FULL of SAM sites just to see if they'd finally manage to destroy the airstrike. No dice. From the moment there's more than one plane, they'll ALWAYS reach and bomb the target, because the SAMs close again after killing one plane, which makes them lose ridiculous amounts of time while the rest flies on to their destination. The only things that can properly take out A10s are owned by GDI.

Are you sure you put the map full of SAM Sites? Perhaps if you spaced them out a bit in groups of 2 or so... Anyway, I don't really even care, wouldn't mind GDI having some of those A-10's remain effective against Nod.

It's just a question of balancing the thing somehow, doesn't matter if either Nod or GDI ends up theoretically with more damage output over time with nuke/ion&airstrike as long as the other party has the advantage at SOME point. Maybe the nukes could even be reusable but just as powerful as in SP.

Anyhow, Nyer, since we're the ones so keen on bringing this thing into a reality, I'm pretty sure we can test it ourselves and try to work out a sane balancing formula for it without bothering you too much, since you're busy with other projects anyway. All I would ask is make a separate option (maybe like the crates/mcv undeploy/bases/etc options) for SP (Singleplayer) Superweapons, so those of us who don't like it can play without it just as easily as turning off the crates, and those of us who want to experience the true power of the Nod and GDI arsenal in online games have a way to do so. There is another way to look into the issue than rebalancing the game or changing it forever. Hell, the 6 player mode and mcv undeploying changed the game forever? At least according to that logic. It's not really changing the weapons to something foreign to Command & Conquer, those are the weapons of Command & Conquer in singleplayer, it's more like the *dramatic music* full Command & Conquer experience...

Also, you assume I know how to change the reload time of superweapons. I don't. I don't even know how they're linked to buildings, except for the fact it uses the broken Prerequisites system. It's very possible that if I link the airstrike to the Comm Center, some random civilian building will also get the ability, and on some maps (Village of the Unfortunate, most probably) you'll get civilians bombing the crap out of the most northern player. I already had problems with that after giving the civilian buildings power to prevent the ridiculous 0/0 balance decaying; it caused the Witch Doctor's Hut building in Desert theater to get a fully functional ion cannon ability. The only reason the same doesn't apply for the nuke is because only a Temple has the ability to actually do the launching animation.

If the magnificent SP Superweapons -option is implemented, whatever happens, don't worry about the civilians. Even IF we manage not to fix issues such as civilians getting airstrikes and such, we always have the option to turn off the SP Superweapons option when playing particular maps.

Think About it Nyer, this could be something great

If the magnificent SP Superweapons -option is implemented, whatever happens, don't worry about the civilians. Even IF we manage not to fix issues such as civilians getting airstrikes and such, we always have the option to turn off the SP Superweapons option when playing particular maps.

...I don't have a clue what you're talking about  :huh:

u kidding me? read again? if it's made so that it can be turned off like crates etc? Is it not possible to make it so that when the option is off the airstrikes are gone from mp and nukes are weak as usual?

This is honestly the first I've ever heard about requests for an option to turn off superweapons.

Do you have some kinda reading comprehension problems? Or do you always intentionally misunderstand? Or can you not read slower since you can't think faster? I was talking about the ability to turn off a proposed new option. The new game option called Singleplayer Superweapons which brings airstrikes to multiplayer and the "singleplayer-strong" nuke as well.

Now?

This is honestly the first I've ever heard about requests for an option to turn off superweapons.

Do you have some kinda reading comprehension problems? Or do you always intentionally misunderstand? Or can you not read slower since you can't think faster? I was talking about the ability to turn off a proposed new option. The new game option called Singleplayer Superweapons which brings airstrikes to multiplayer and the "singleplayer-strong" nuke as well.

Easy. don't be aggressive, or people will start to ignore you.

/OT Are Mammoth Tanks really that powerful? :D Thought they were less effective than a grenadier/hum-wee/med tank combo.. So the question arises, are mammoth tanks in fact actually effective anti-bike units? Any real pro feeling like commenting on this? Lovehandles?

Now?

Yes, they are. Just spam them as the way you do with the bikes. People forget that the required time to BE ABLE to BUILD a mammoth is bigger than the bikes. Get some grenadiers if you want it to help getting rid of the bikes. The problem is that the War Factory is something really easy to get destroyed.

u kidding me? read again? if it's made so that it can be turned off like crates etc? Is it not possible to make it so that when the option is off the airstrikes are gone from mp and nukes are weak as usual?

Well, look. If the point of this discussion is bring the SP superweapons to multiplayer in a special Tech Level, why would you disable it JUST FOR some maps (that can cause confusions with people that are not appart of it)? Anyway, look again. If you somehow link the Airstrike to the Communications Center, it also can be linked to an unnespected structure, as Nyerguds spoke. The problem here is that we are entering into a part of the game's code that he think it is messed or hardcoded, where he got any idea how it actually works. Fixing it or implement it could take time, *IF* it is fixable. Westwood games is know for its dirty codes inside it's applications, and reverse-engineering can be painful, you don't know what to expect. Those implementations can cause serious bugs into the game. Let's just NOT expect much things.

Yes, they are. Just spam them as the way you do with the bikes. People forget that the required time to BE ABLE to BUILD a mammoth is bigger than the bikes. Get some grenadiers if you want it to help getting rid of the bikes. The problem is that the War Factory is something really easy to get destroyed.

So the question arises, are mammoth tanks in fact actually effective anti-bike units? Any real pro feeling like commenting on this? Lovehandles?

Hmm I don't see a question about grenadiers in that sentence...

Well, look. If the point of this discussion is bring the SP superweapons to multiplayer in a special Tech Level, why would you disable it JUST FOR some maps? Anyway, look again. If you somehow link the Airstrike to the Communications Center, it also can be linked to an unnespected structure, as Nyerguds spoke. The problem here is that we are entering into a part of the game's code that he think it is messed or hardcoded, where he got any idea how it actually works. Fixing it or implement it could take time, *IF* it is fixable. Westwood games is know for its dirty codes inside it's applications, and reverse-engineering can be painful, you don't know what to expect. Those implementations can cause serious bugs into the game. Let's just NOT expect much things.

Dear God. You actually answered your own question in the same paragraph.

Your question:

why would you disable it JUST FOR some maps?

Your answer:

If you somehow link the Airstrike to the Communications Center, it also can be linked to an unnespected structure, as Nyerguds spoke.

EDIT: So like Nyerguds said, the civs might get ahold of airstrikes... So, yea I think that should answer your question. Unless,

unless some other Nod/GDI structures also get the air strike thing, then... Then we've prolly failed, but at least the option to disable SP Superweapons would revert everything back to normal.

u could just said in beginning that Westwood code is difficult to solve instead of how air strike would cause the problem in the game balance and all that bullshits especially when you are not even into serious match but likes to messing around with the game. But I think you can still try and test before releasing it to cncnet5, unless you don't have time for it.

Anyway I will run test game with crate on whomever believes A10 is overpowerful. I will show u couple of anti aircraft can easily knock down A10.

Well, look. If the point of this discussion is bring the SP superweapons to multiplayer in a special Tech Level, why would you disable it JUST FOR some maps? Anyway, look again. If you somehow link the Airstrike to the Communications Center, it also can be linked to an unnespected structure, as Nyerguds spoke. The problem here is that we are entering into a part of the game's code that he think it is messed or hardcoded, where he got any idea how it actually works. Fixing it or implement it could take time, *IF* it is fixable. Westwood games is know for its dirty codes inside it's applications, and reverse-engineering can be painful, you don't know what to expect. Those implementations can cause serious bugs into the game. Let's just NOT expect much things.

have you ever hosted game? there is little boxes you can check mark on to disable/enable for the features like crate, mcv undeploy, etc.. Jonttu was saying to add Superweapon there if new tech '8' wasn't applicable. He never said to make it work under 'some maps'..

And say to everyone that it won't work? come on, let's just do it well done. Not just us play the game. The ones that are in the community are the ones that are appart of those stuff.

Grenadier stuff: I said help, not a REQUIREMENT.

About the box stuff: If it is going foward, then it is Nyerguds decision :)

Can GDI Launch nuke if they got Temple of Nod? if yes, then superweapons does not really have a owner, so linking it to Comm. center would give both Nod and GDI the Airstrike. Can be a problem it is supposed to be GDI Only.

So, the point is, give Nod the SP Nuke, and GDI the Airstrike? perhaps a SP-Like multiplayer mode? (Like in Buildlevel 15?)

Uh, it had been suggested to add the whole shebang as extra tech level, which would make such an option completely irrelevant. Anyway, doesn't change the fact I'm simply not interested in doing it. Oh, and if you must know, yes, I do have a condition (ADHD) that makes it hard for me to concentrate properly on things I'm not interested in 8). I see no reason to apologize for skimming over half of the bullshit in this thread.

Can GDI Launch nuke if they got Temple of Nod?

Yes. The only place where superweapons are side-specific is in the Triggers system, where "Ion Cannon" instantly reloads the Ion cannon if you are GDI, while attacking you with it if you are Nod. Same thing the other way around for the nuke.

u could just said in beginning that Westwood code is difficult to solve instead of how air strike would cause the problem in the game balance and all that bullshits especially when you are not even into serious match but likes to messing around with the game. But I think you can still try and test before releasing it to cncnet5, unless you don't have time for it.

No, westwood code may be difficult to solve, but with some research it's probably possible. The reason I'm not even interested in spending time sifting through it for this is indeed because it'll change the balance in the game, which will annoy everyone who's used to the normal game balance.

And doing it just as feature that can be activated inside the map file seems like a really dumb idea.

/OT Are Mammoth Tanks really that powerful? :D Thought they were less effective than a grenadier/hum-wee/med tank combo.. So the question arises, are mammoth tanks in fact actually effective anti-bike units? Any real pro feeling like commenting on this?

Not sure there, but they're insanely good anti-A10 units.

Though beside that, if you use the S button to make them spam rockets, they're insanely deadly against infantry and lightly armoured stuff, especially since, unlike in RA1, the rockets are ADDED to the normal cannon weapon.

Uh, it had been suggested to add the whole shebang as extra tech level, which would make such an option completely irrelevant. Anyway, doesn't change the fact I'm simply not interested in doing it. Oh, and if you must know, yes, I do have a condition (ADHD) that makes it hard for me to concentrate properly on things I'm not interested in 8). I see no reason to apologize for skimming over half of the bullshit in this thread.

Ok, sorry. Well the thing about the game option thing was just that it could be either of the two. An extra tech level or an additional game option.

No, westwood code may be difficult to solve, but with some research it's probably possible. The reason I'm not even interested in spending time sifting through it for this is indeed because it'll change the balance in the game, which will annoy everyone who's used to the normal game balance.

And doing it just as feature that can be activated inside the map file seems like a really dumb idea.

What if you just implement it and we try and workout the best balancing formula?

I guess I don't understand the map file thing but it I assume it's the one thing that affects the superweapons?

Not sure there, but they're insanely good anti-A10 units.

Though beside that, if you use the S button to make them spam rockets, they're insanely deadly against infantry and lightly armoured stuff, especially since, unlike in RA1, the rockets are ADDED to the normal cannon weapon.

Interesting, very interesting, because I was just thinking lately and chatting with Dude (who's Lovehandles? :huh: :boring: ) about wether or not Mammoths could fare well in an anti-bike role.

It's exactly how I theorized about a late game setting where there are more than just a few of each (mammoths and bikes), thus mammoths could become effective anti-bike units due to their range and simpler microing involved. Using the S key specifically, not attacking directly nor using the G key is what my hypothesis about the mammoth's anti-bike capability was based on.

What if you just implement it and we try and workout the best balancing formula?

You just asked me "Hey, what if you do all the hard work first, and then we'll see if it'll actually be useful for anything?"

Guess what. Nope.

I guess I don't understand the map file thing but it I assume it's the one thing that affects the superweapons?

Map file thing? Oh, I thought some people were proposing making that special superweapons behaviour setting you mentioned into a map-specific ini option. Like the PassiveHelis option, it'd then need to be added to maps, and would only activate in the maps that have the option.

Hell, the 6 player mode and mcv undeploying changed the game forever? At least according to that logic.

Small note on this... both of these are features implemented by Westwood. All I did was exposing them. I didn't put weeks of work into them, like I would need to do to accomplish the thing you're asking me now.

My general philosophy for my patch is to fix bugs, reactivate lost features and assets, and expand modding and mission making capabilities, all without changing the way the game is played. Undeploying construction yards is a reactivated beta feature, and one that I never even exposed in multiplay; the CnCNet people did that. Adding airstrikes to multiplayer is changing the way the game is played. Hence, I won't do it. end of story.

Lol, jonttu and riseofbane. Just because you think your idea's are great doesn't mean they are.

I find it very rude you are both pressuring nyerguds into implementing your idea's to the game. The reason why his patch is so widely accepted by the community is because he has not touched the gameplay and balance of the game. 

Have you ever looked at ra2/c&c generals? A lot of people modded and rebalanced the game, and the community is split up between different patches and mods.  It was a very smart move by nyerguds to keep the original balance intact.

If you really want to implement your idea, please learn how to mod the game instead of asking nyerguds to implement it for you.

You just asked me "Hey, what if you do all the hard work first, and then we'll see if it'll actually be useful for anything?"

Guess what. Nope.

Did I specifically say that you have to balance things out?

Map file thing? Oh, I thought some people were proposing making that special superweapons behaviour setting you mentioned into a map-specific ini option. Like the PassiveHelis option, it'd then need to be added to maps, and would only activate in the maps that have the option.

Well that someone wasn't me.

You can give your opinion about which is the best way to go but I'd prefer a new game option rather than a new tech level (even tho it would work as well) or a map specific feature.

Small note on this... both of these are features implemented by Westwood. All I did was exposing them. I didn't put weeks of work into them, like I would need to do to accomplish the thing you're asking me now.

My general philosophy for my patch is to fix bugs, reactivate lost features and assets, and expand modding and mission making capabilities, all without changing the way the game is played. Undeploying construction yards is a reactivated beta feature, and one that I never even exposed in multiplay; the CnCNet people did that. Adding airstrikes to multiplayer is changing the way the game is played. Hence, I won't do it. end of story.

I understand.

Then you go and create something out of "thin air" like the new side colors for units & buildings..?

Anyway, does it really take weeks of work to get the sp strong nuke for nod (probably one shot only) and airstrike for GDI (maybe 2 planes)?

GDI could for example get the airstrike capability from an Advanced Guard Tower.

It would make some sense gameplay balance wise, since when both GDI and Nod have built a Comm Center, GDI gets airstrike (w/ 2 planes) after 1000 creds into the superweapons arms race. While Nod is 1000 creds into getting the Nuke (1 shot). When Nod has the Temple standing GDI still has 800 creds left to go for the Ion Cannon. Nod might be able to use the nuke before GDI gets to use both airstrike and IC or might not. Still seems fairly balanced if Nod gets to wreak havoc faster but GDI ends up unleashing more destruction in the long run.

Visually it would make some sense too, since the Advanced Guard Tower even looks much like an Air Control Tower of sorts. So...

One more thing. The airstrike even when used by a human player has some weaknesses. Obviously you can diminish the damage received from the bombs by shooting even just one of the planes down. There's also the fact that since these are not the AI's A-10s, they will not follow you, so if you can dodge an airstrike you can come out unscathed.

Have you ever looked at ra2/c&c generals? A lot of people modded and rebalanced the game, and the community is split up between different patches and mods.  It was a very smart move by nyerguds to keep the original balance intact.

Thank you! It is indeed because of the way none of the unofficial patches for these games ever managed to become the de facto standard that I chose never to change the game balance.

Guess what. Nope.

Did I specifically say that you have to balance things out?

Wait, you honestly think the "hard work" I mentioned was the balancing? :dry:

You can give your opinion about which is the best way to go but I'd prefer a new game option rather than a new tech level (even tho it would work as well) or a map specific feature.

A new game option seems like something simple to you, but in reality, UI changes like adding a new button are nigh-impossible to do on assembler level.

Anyway, does it really take weeks of work to get the sp strong nuke for nod (probably one shot only) and airstrike for GDI (maybe 2 planes)?

Seeing as I don't have a single clue where to even start looking for these thing (including what it is that actually makes the SP nuke one shot only, or where the nuke damage for multiplayer is stored), it could be months of research before I can even start any experiments.

-I have no idea how/where superweapon timing is handled. Or any other build time stuff, for that matter

-I don't know how superweapons are linked to buildings. I just know it probably uses the same system as prerequisites, because it has the same overflow bug with high building IDs being seen as the same building as certain lower ones. However, since the logic used for prerequisites is so incredibly simple (and because of that, flawed) there's no way the two systems would actually use any common functions.

-I don't know what controls the amount of planes for the airstrike logic, and from previous experiences with the "Unrevealed Terrain" mouse tooltip and some other things like that, it's very possible that the MP airstrike uses the exact same logic as the SP one, meaning you get more airplanes on maps that happen to have higher map numbers.

ANY of these things might take months of research to crack.

Let me just add another one to that...

-I have a day job. Any work I do on the patch, I do in my free time, and I don't have all that much of it.