Your favorite Tiberian Dawn (C&C1) mission

Tore

Tell us your favorite TD mission! It can be both a user created mission (please provide a link to it if you can) or a official mission.

I like Nod mission 8 best because it is a bit challanging, and I like building turrets all over that map.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i liked the ally mission dont remeber which mission it was or if was for the playstation but you start off on the left bottom and some ridges of to the right that goes two entrances on at bottom and the other on top the tiberian was on top of you and the enemy had a nice base to the left top with two entrances one road to enter the base :up:

• 6 months later...

mine would be the one with the commando where you have to destroy the enemy con yard to win it... you also have a heli when you destroy the sam sites. it wass hard, and kept freezing near the top(dunno why) but it was challanging and i liked it!

i liked the ally mission dont remeber which mission

um, TD has no allies.

mine would be the one with the commando where you have to destroy the enemy con yard to win it... you also have a heli when you destroy the sam sites. it was hard, and kept freezing near the top(dunno why) but it was challanging and i liked it!

Wow, you never finished that properly? The real target is the airfield. If you destroy that, you don't have to redo the mission in a large base vs base battle but skip straight to the mission after that :P

In fact, you finish the mission no matter what building you destroy. But only one of them is actually the correct target.

As for the freezing near the top, that's probably this bug. It was fixed in C&C95 unofficial v1.05, and is part of my 1.06 patch now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

In fact, you finish the mission no matter what building you destroy. But only one of them is actually the correct target.

I've always wondered how they pulled it off. I believe it's the only such instance of alternate mission outcomes in the whole (Westwood's) C&C franchise (correct me if I'm wrong).

Oh, I know exactly how they pulled it off.

Every time a building is destroyed, it stores the building's ID in a global variable. So after the mission is finished, it can check what the last destroyed structure was. Since every structure in that mission triggers the Mission Accomplished trigger, the game can easily check if the one you destroyed was the airstrip, and if so, skip a mission.

(this is also used for the temple, for the special Ion Cannon ending in the GDI campaign, but with the added check that the weapon that destroyed it was the ion cannon. Not exactly sure how this one works though)

Fun fact... if you target one of the other buildings in that commando mission, that building is missing from the map in mission 7. It uses the same global variable to put an exception into the mission reading code, to skip the first building of that type :)

It doesn't work on the silos or power plants though, since there are several of those, so it wouldn't be able to determine which one was destroyed.

Of course, unless you took out the CY, this isn't too useful since they'll just rebuild the structure.

I'm also pretty sure that restarting the mission removes this exception. Or maybe you can cheat with it... destroy your own CY, then restart the mission, to make it remove the enemy CY? I should test that out, lol :P

well, I'm "liberating" a lot of these exceptions by turning them into mission ini keys, but this kind of thing seems hard to do in that aspect.

I've already made PassiveHelis that way (Nod mission 7, capture Orca), and mission-specific building capturability, to completely remove any limitation on possible mission capture targets (Nod mission 12, capture Adv Comm Center). You can read all about that if you click on my sig image ;)

• 1 year later...

Heh. What tactic do you usually use for it though?

I normally kill the most southern units of the east side siege, so my harvester can go harvest the south tiberium field without getting shot at, then put obelisks on the top and kill off the remaining units on the east side :)

Well, after luring all infantry and MLRSes from all the other side and lead them to fiery doom, of course. Kinda silly to fight EVERYTHING at once.

btw, Tore, if you read this... url tags to youtube automatically converting to embeds? NOT handy. You wanna do that, add a [youtube] tag.

I normally kill the most southern units of the east side siege, so my harvester can go harvest the south tiberium field without getting shot at, then put obelisks on the top and kill off the remaining units on the east side :)

I use the same sort of tactic, but I generally use turrets without any obelisks. Much better in case I run out of power. :P That nuke sure is handy...

• 2 months later...