Discussion about new stuff for Tiberian Dawn

Chimas

• 2 weeks later...

Nyers, you should make an enhanced Tib. Dawn version if you have free time. I don't ever see mods for Tib Dawn except yours. This enhanced mod would add stuff that was cut out from the game n stuff like that.

And, you can actually add new units? That's pretty amazing.

Donate? Meh. I make more money than I know what to do with, these days... really don't the donations anymore. I've been considering removing that button from my site altogether, but... it's such a nice button :(

I've heard once that a nobel prize scientist used to get a dolar per year from the university where he attended and when asked about the symbolism he said that no money would mean slavery ...

Hello all,

I have been thinking a lot about what I wrote regarding change of unit looks and introducing new units into Tiberian Dawn.

Introducing them into a direct remake of TD would probably upset how the campaigns are planned out, so instead I would suggest that some kind of 'side quel' is made or a kind of expansion pack, a companion to Tiberian Dawn that takes place during the war but in parts of the world not depicted in the original game; United States, Russia, South America, Asia, Australia etc.

Or perhaps a mission model that does not involve conquering pieces of the map, allowing focus on more story oriented missions (missing 'parts' of the first Tiberian War history)

Such a project would really be great as I have been thinking what kind of missions could be done with the new units.

A couple more units I would like to introduce on Nod's side that are based on C&C Renegade; the truck, portable machine gun turret, portable missile turret, truck mounted SAM launcher.

The truck would be a cheap multi purpose transport unit that on its own is not armed.

The mentioned turret types and SAM launcher can be combined with the truck, these do not count as buildings but vehicles themselves so they must be ordered through an airport.

They can not be used while the truck is moving in the field (the truck must be stationary for them to be deployed)

Destroying the truck does not mean destroying these units at the same time, though they would suffer splash damage.

Oh...kay... you have fun with that, then?

I've heard once that a nobel prize scientist used to get a dolar per year from the university where he attended and when asked about the symbolism he said that no money would mean slavery ...

Feels like the opposite to me. I started this purely as a hobby. People donating money to me makes it feel like an obligation for me to work on it...

Nyers, you should make an enhanced Tib. Dawn version if you have free time. I don't ever see mods for Tib Dawn except yours. This enhanced mod would add stuff that was cut out from the game n stuff like that.

Ugh...

1. It's a patch. Not a mod. Though I've made a few of those too, the 1.06 project is not a mod. Mods are modifications, aiming to change the game. I aim to fix and enhance, specifically in a way that does not change it.

2. I 'should' nothing. I do want (very much) to make the game ini-moddable, and maybe I'll make a showcase mod of the old dual-colour Nod buildings as seen on beta screenshots, just as proof of concept for that. From what I've seen, though, there isn't anything cut from the game that actually exists to a point where it can be re-added. The closest is the Jungle theater, for which the graphics were never even made. And to pull off making a new theater with its own colour palette, I'll need to create a set of very specific new tools to generate all the colour filters for shadow, movement flash, shroud edges etc, so even that is a lot more work beyond the graphics work.

And, you can actually add new units? That's pretty amazing.

I can and have, yes. The hardest part was fixing the bug where the AI keeps mindlessly building tons of them (a bug which was first discovered in Tiberian Sun, when you expand the units list to more than 100 units, hence why I still call it the "100 units bug"). There's even one release of the patch that accidentally included 4 of them. Unfortunately, the code isn't complete; units need offsets from the center for the firing flash of their weapon, and the location of the turret, and I haven't found that data. It's not in the normal unit data, otherwise copied units would've had it.

Ugh...

1. It's a patch. Not a mod. Though I've made a few of those too, the 1.06 project is not a mod. Mods are modifications, aiming to change the game. I aim to fix and enhance, specifically in a way that does not change it.

Strawman. I never said I was talking about patch 1.06. I meant a completely different mod based upon the patch (as in Mod - only works with patch 1.06c). Patch 1.06c would stay the same, or whatever updates you release.

Hey Nyer, you know that its ok to recieve money for nothing, it means you are doing/did something right. Charity is a good thing for all, part of the difficulty of recieving is doing it graciously, you will find alot of people suck at that.

Cncnet for example is well looked after for its efforts by its fans, not because we respond to the charity, but because the charity is a responce to our love (giving without expecting back). We could have much more money if I had stayed in charge and expanded hard sites to each continent like we had imagined but Funky and Iran are up now. So that chance was missed.

Keep working at your stuff when you have love for it and if you have more money than you know what to do with, grow some sense and use it properly.

Ugh...

Strawman. I never said I was talking about patch 1.06. I meant a completely different mod based upon the patch (as in Mod - only works with patch 1.06c). Patch 1.06c would stay the same, or whatever updates you release.

Meh. You said "an enhanced Tib. Dawn version". On your specific subject, though, beyond the double house colour for Nod, and the meagre remains of the code for the Jungle theater (which are, um, nothing beyond the orphaned entry in the array of theaters), I'm not aware of anything that was actually cut from the game.

Well, I think you pretty much put everything back in that was cut... music, gren throw sounds etc. But not sure you'd want to change any more than that purely for an enhancements patch.

You have, however, opened the way for some great mods to be made. I know Kilk is working on one.

There was an attempt at making an unofficial expansion for it ages back, called TDX. Sadly, it seems to have lost it's fire and crashed. I'd been thinking of making a mod for it, mostly just rebalance and maybe add some new units also... not quite sure what though.

At the moment I've been having a break from modding though, and still have 2 other mods I'd rather be working at when I get my computer set up again anyway, so that's pretty far off, and maybe never going to happen, as a result of it being so far off (but we'll see).

In the meantime though, TD has become quite popular online, and these great patches you've made, combine with the CnCNet team have rekindled the game. So it's not some big loss... and hey, I see someone's making a nice jungle theater for both TD and RA... maybe it could be added in as a selectable theater for people making maps ;) (haha, the one thing that we WERE wondering if WW ever actually made).

Either way, TD is doing great, considering how old it now is. So kudos on that Nyer. Cheers :) keep up the good work.

Oh, I also really like the building on the top left of the top picture on that link you posted Nyer... any chance of seeing it return?

That beta rep pad is cool too... maybe I should draw up a new one for my CR mod... as it just used the boring RA one at the moment.

-Liam

That desert civilian building is kinda blurry, though. Not really good material to recover something from. Sadly, the same goes for the repair pad, which I only got in jpeg format.

I did make a TMP file of that crashed A-10 in the second pic, though :)

http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/junk/stuff/mod/A10crash.gif

As for TDX, yeah, I know, I was part of it... but it relied on enhancements in C&C which I hadn't actually made yet, and it counted on me continuing the project at the same rate I had up to that point... which, erm, I didn't. Last patch release is 2 years ago, now -_-

I came to the conclusion that Myg and others are right, TD is complete and should stay an untouchable masterpiece.

In the other hand I accepted Iran's suggestion and have been testing OpenRA: the project is awesome, with many additions for TD, although there is a lot to work before it gets easy to code a single player mission. So I think this thread has reached a bit of its objective: I am really impressed with the current development of the JUNGLE theater - just waiting to make a mission on it.

Still, it has been a good discussion, thanks.

• 1 month later...