[TD] Kilk's oil truck

Kilkakon

Hi there everyone,

Inspired by White's oil truck and refinery, I've been making my own version. I based my refinery off of his (will credit of course) but am making my oil truck from scratch.

This is my first attempt fitting it to SHP. :D It started its life in 3D Studio Max. So what do you think? :) Comments and criticisms welcome.

EDIT: Yes, I know the shadows are awful. Ignore them please! :D When I do this again I'll render them without shadows and then stick them on again afterwards as they have blurred with the main vehicle too much.

harv.png.5f22fcccf2e21b6d36803a8b08e00698.png

Yeah, that seems a bit grainy... I'd use a palette with only the purple, the grey, maybe a tiny bit of blue, and the one green colour. Palette editing is a rather large part of getting SHPs converted right.

If you can upload a version of that in the original high-colour, I could probably do a better conversion for you.

Thanks for the offer Nyer. :) I think that I might tweak the model a bit more first--it's a bit thin in my opinion, like it was a one person truck. I might also turn down the under light, to make the darker parts of it a bit darker.

But yeah I'll definitely try something along those lines to get it less blurry.

There are also two ways of converting an image to a palette; using dithering, or matching each pixel to the nearest colour. Dithering is okay if you have large images and want the best colour approximation when it's viewed from afar, but for small sprites like this, you better use "Nearest Colour", since dithering gives this typical grainy effect you got there.

I did just that. :) Shadows help a lot don't they? Doesn't look like it's floating around anymore.

In my personal opinion, it's pretty close! Just a bit of work on the details like the tyre shape and the exhausts disappearing/blurring to hell and I think it'll be done. :D

harv.png.19b57e63e1e6ef15704ce47bf4400cf4.png

Here the truck is with the loading animation guy, thanks to White. :D

I've also added loading and unloading animations to the refinery too! Just cameos and actual oil tiles (and replacing the blossom tree with a derrick haha) and we're done.

... all for one map XD

EDIT: Should I call this vehicle "oil truck" or "oil tanker"?

harv3.png.dbb84f22f2e84c3b7669e2d96fe76162.png

• 2 weeks later...

Ha wow! I must admit I never quite worked out what that building was trying to be. Still, funny how I managed to get C&C style right.

When I get through some more websites I should be able to get on to doing some tar pits.

Yeeah, I found out about that when working on redesigning the buildings for the (now sadly rather abandoned) "Tiberian Dawn" mod for C&C3. I'd sketched something that had that oil tank, and then some kind of dumpster in front of it, and then one of the others on the team remarked "wait, isn't that thing in front of it just a truck cabin?" And then we all realized he was right, and it was really just an oil tanker. I should've realized, really, since the game's name string for the building is literally "Oil Tanker"  O_o

I guess the internal name, "ARCO", was supposed to be some generic oil company name.