Jungle tileset

Tschokky

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Strange... the vortex is an animation, not a colour filter. From what I could see, .mrf files are just colour filters. And the vortex doesn't even change the colour, from what I've seen. It just deforms the shape.

Ah, it seems the inside of the vortex 'funnel' has a fade to black. Just like the shroud edges, that kind of effect would indeed require a .mrf file.

Matt: As I said, the .mrfs aren't sprites. They're just colour filters. It just so happens that this animation needs one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Heyo, Tschokky, are you around?

Do feel like creating that BARREN theater?

I think it would be cool!

Big yes to both! Just give me some time, I need to do more sketches - it's really difficult to work with RA's palette :( and besides I happened upon my old 286, 386, 486DX4, Pentium I-II-III computers and I deceided to repair them, only the 286/386 needs fix now. Yep. The others all work, and they all have sound, networking, some have SCSI / PCMCIA support so it's really cool.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

As I explained, that's because terrain tiles have a "theater ownership"  value set. It makes sure maps containing terrain objects from wrong theaters can't actually spawn those on the map, since they'd show up as invisible objects, and would crash the minimap's graphics resize function.

This is, at the moment, still 100% hardcoded in the exe file, in the big list of terrain objects. Just like units and structures have a list of owners, terrain tiles have a list of theaters.

As I explained, that's because terrain tiles have a "theater ownership"  value set. It makes sure maps containing terrain objects from wrong theaters can't actually spawn those on the map, since they'd show up as invisible objects, and would crash the minimap's graphics resize function

No need to explain again, I remember the explanation you gave the first time. That doesn't answer my question though: are there any plans to redo this or do you feel it unnecessary at this point? 2 years have gone by so I'm guessing there's very little demand for it now.

Given the sad fact most of the interest in C&C1 seems to come from me patching it, It's probably a bit of a two-way street... undoubtedly, "demand", as you put it, will rise again if I continue patching. But, not really feeling like it these days.

I patched out those terrain checks for Red Alert 1 btw, which is why it works for Red Alert 1. They were really annoying to patch out as they touched multiple different terrain objects and where placed in different places in the game code.

I can't even get the jungle tileset to work in RA1.  I unpacked the jungle.mix file from the new RAED download and dropped it into the red alert folder but 9 still can't get jungle maps to work in single player

Do you use the most actual version of Red Alert, that means RA303p? The original RA95.exe doesn't have the hardcode to read jungle, use this one: http://iran.cnc-comm.com/ra/

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Sorry for the obvious necro.
Came here to see whatever happened to this project, as I never saw it in a game...

Was there a reason that this wasn't just included in the CnCNet version of C&C95, where mappers would be able to convert a map to Jungle, much the same way we currently can for Snow?

Seems a shame to just leave it here. A lot of work went into it. I can't help but to feel that the more people get to play on it and experience it, the better. C&C's obviously not the most popular game anymore, so saving it for the release of some future mod just seems a bit sad (as demand for mods drops as the game popularity does, also.

Edited by AchromicWhite