Jungle tileset

Tschokky

Oh wow, this just keeps looking better and better.

For the rivers, maybe try looking at some actual jungle rivers for inspiration. I can understand that to be tricky... in saying that, if nothing ends up looking that good, just having regular rivers from temperate may not look that bad at all. Either way, this is looking absolutely great :)

-Liam

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 - I prefer the dark blueish green. If it gets green like the RA1 palette, it will JUST look like a different TEMPERATE theater.

2 - For cliffs over water, IDK if it's going to be feasible, but in jungle and rain forests we have AGUAPÉS that are pretty much trees growing from inside the water. To design that might be hard, but the problem is to have that repeating everywhere in the map. I advise to have a try, but I wouldn't be so enthusiastic (given that I'm not a pixel artist).

3 - one curiosity, the "teal" drops on the river bank are to emulate the waving water in-game?

4 - This is a too early request, but after the theater is ready, would be a good thing to have a teamcolor set that works fine with this theater. For example, Kilkakon has created a teamcolor for his MOD that is already present in Nyerguds patch that I enjoy a lot (I think it's warmsilver teamcolor). But this is a bonus, not a must-have. Just have the idea and wanted to comment.

5 - I too believe the output is getting great!

post-edit: aguapés = water hyacinth, according to google translator

As far as the palette choice goes, I agree I can't speak for RA, but for C&C a good half of the palette changes on theatre just for the terrain. Just a thought!

Water cliffs: There seems to be a few brighter pixels creating a bit of a jagged effect there. Would it be possible to smooth those out?

The change isn't bad. The one prob is somthing you haven't take notice of yet. The water in RA1 is animated. During any converion they get messed up. So some parts of the water that was animated won't be and other that wasn't will be or the colors will be shifted. This makes the water glow in and out.

To fix this there are only 2 good ways. 1st, use the stock water and colors. 2nd, remove all of the animated water colors. To use the stock stock water and colors you need 2 new palettes. One is for XCC and one for use your paintshop program. for the 2nd you will need one to use with your paintshop program.  Since your not using the stock water color it is best to use the 2nd option. If you want the info and needed palettes let me know.

preview3.png.6bcdd8ed5f8759de809eaa817a8ae566.png

This was the tileset made for the (rather abandoned) Tiberian Dawn XTended project:

http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/files/tilesfix_164.png

(don't mind the the purple; it's animated water, changed in colour on the palette to be preserved through the conversions)

Unfortunately, the custom base palette of the theater gave problems with shadow, movement flash, selection flash and edge-of-shroud filters. I have yet to find a good method for reproducing those.

I might have to make a tool where you actually have visible RGB and brightness/contrast tweak controls, and which then generate a table from that result, but I've never done something like that...

Everything looking awesome so far! Maybe in the new jungle theatre the clear terrain can be a lighter shade of green (like in Nyer's screenies), while the thicker bush beneath trees can be achieved by using other template pieces (like the regular dusty patches or snowheaps of the winter theatre). Also, it sounds like too much work but might be interesting, roads can be even more ragged in the jungle, like the ones in this beta screenshot :

convoy.gif

Or like the bibs under the buildings in this one:

nodbase.gif

If I were to do it, I'd just do it simple and split regular roads right down the middle to form tracks.

um, that's just Temperate theater.

And these bibs are actually terrain tiles rather than SHP files like the bibs are now. They're in the game, but completely unused.

And to be honest, they don't look very good as bibs. As the screenshot shows they were more supposed to be a kind of roads... maybe an idea stolen from Warcraft 1, where buildings in a 'town' need to be connected with roads.

Tschokky:

I'm glad that the last privew pic was in the RA1 palette but as I feared the water colors have been shifted and the water will look like it is glowing in game.

I took you preview and used one of my RA1 water palette using Maintain Indexes so that any water color would be made into bright dots. As you can see below the colors got messed up. I put stock copies next to the water falls to how how much they were shifted.

Also grass on the fords make no since as the tanks would crush it and make it dirt like the road.

Preview_4.png.0a54ca841ec308fb096fd04a86139126.png

I'm attaching my water palette. RA_Water.mix needs to go into the directory that XCC Mixer has for RA1. When you start XCC Mixer you should be able to find a new palette under Red Alet. It will be displayed as RA_Water.mix - RA_Water.pal. With RA_Water.pal you can extract out tiles with the animated water colors nice and visable

The RA_Water.pal is in JASC format fo use in many paint shop programs. If you use the RA_Water.pal with Nearest Color Matching it will remove all animated water colors. If you extract a tile using XCC Mixer as PCX or PNG you can use RA_Water.pal with Maintain Indexes you can take tile what was extracted using the stock palette and change the tile so that the animated water colors nice and visable.

Also PCX2RMT.EXE works by using Maintain Indexes so any .pcx can be saved with the RA_Water.pal and PCX2RMT.EXE will convert it to the stock RA1 palette just fine.

RA_Water.zip

Allen: Wow, thank you, you saved me some goofy work with those palettes :) What you've written is exactly what I was thinking about, using a tweaked palette for water animations since I went into this problem in my complete desert conversion theater as well. I'll fix that as well.

Sorry everyone, there isn't going to be much progress today, lots of uni stuff to do.

Someplace in the Red Dawn thread I posted an updated desert in the thread that fixes the rivers and maybe the water falls as well. I removed all of the animated water from the beach (SH##) tiles. You should be able to blend the from the stock Water Cliffs (WC##).

My water pallete dosn't work 100% of the time as some times Red and Green get changed to another Red and Green that is on the pallete. What I do is use PCX2RMT.EXE to convet them and use XCC Mixer to check using the stock pallete *any bight Red and Green dots will stand out in the water). Than I use rtmtype to finsh them.

Below is screen of the stock and the my water pallete the colors in the Red box are animated. fun fact: The Red inside the box is used to make the flame nozzles glow on the Flame Tower.

RA_Pal_and_RA_Wat_Pal.png.11e733d9b20cf3f846db1948d647518f.png

I generally fixed this by making two palettes:

-One with everything black besides these animated water colours, which I made the purple gradient seen in the Pirates theater pic.

-The other being the target theater palette with just these water colours changed to the same purple gradient.

Then, to fix it:

-Convert the original game-version of the tile you edited with that first palette, so you ONLY get the (purple versions of the) animated water colours on it.

-Delete everything except the animated water stuff, leaving the rest transparent in the editor.

-Open your own new version of the tile, and load the adapted theater palette into it so it has the purple colours on it as animated colours. It's best to load it into it matching nearest colours, so your start pic has NO animated water colours at all. (Otherwise other water pixels might accidentally turn into animated colours too, ruining the effect)

-Paste the purple colours from the first pic onto that, to get the final fixed piece, with correct animated colours.