Tschokky

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

BIG WARNING WHEN USING XCC MIX EDITOR:

Make sure to set the mix file type (in Options) BEFORE dropping any files into it. This type will determine which algorithm the program uses for calculating the name ID, and this is done at the moment the file is dropped in. So if it's on TS or RA2 at that moment, the file names will be completely unreadable to the game, even if you change the mix archive to the correct type later.

Tschokky: Do we consider Allen's TD version the official one, or are you going to make one with the latest changes?

About the barren ground, more ideas will come after your first draft, I believe.

Kilkakon: I'm making a mission that is purely Urban Warfare. Can we talk on skype, so we can exchange the files? It's a whole city and it's ready, using the desert theater ...

To be honest, my theatre is pretty awkward. How to say this properly... it's basically 3 separate theatres smushed into one. If it was going to be made for general use it would need to be restructured, I think. What I will probably do is talk with Nyer once my mod is actually out.

BIG WARNING WHEN USING XCC MIX EDITOR:

Make sure to set the mix file type (in Options) BEFORE dropping any files into it. This type will determine which algorithm the program uses for calculating the name ID, and this is done at the moment the file is dropped in. So if it's on TS or RA2 at that moment, the file names will be completely unreadable to the game, even if you change the mix archive to the correct type later.

Never had good luck with making a new in MIX Editor as something seem to go wrong and I lose the file names or worse. I always do a copy and paste of stock mix for the game I'm working with.

Never had good luck with making a new in MIX Editor as something seem to go wrong and I lose the file names or worse. I always do a copy and paste of stock mix for the game I'm working with.

Yes. The file names is the thing I just gave you the fix for... :dry:

As for the problem with it not being able to make mix files, yeah, no clue there. I usually just copy an existing one and clear it out, too.

My understanding is no new tiles can be added to Tib Dawn.

Actually not true. I just never did it. Technically there can probably be up to 255 tilesets in C&C1 (0-254; 255 is reserved for clear terrain, and equal to 0). The game currently only uses 215.

But even without that, any currently theater-dependent tileset (e.g. the snow patches or desert shores) can be created for other theaters (though they should have the same terrain type cell usage), and any existing tileset file can be expanded to contain 256 tiles, though the terrain types used in any tileset are limited to 2 in C&C1, and without exe changes any extra cells will use the primary terrain type set for that tileset. And you'll need to hex edit your maps to actually add those additional tiles :P

(the adding-tiles-to-an-existing-tileset-file-and-hex-editing-it-into-a-map is how I did this, by the way.)

By the way, on a vocabulary-technical note: one terrain piece (like, a river piece, a bridge, a piece of rock ridge) is a "tileset" or "template". One cell of it is a tile (or "icon", I believe CCHyper called it).  :P

Yes. The file names is the thing I just gave you the fix for... :dry:

As for the problem with it not being able to make mix files, yeah, no clue there. I usually just copy an existing one and clear it out, too.

Did that way back when I first started. Most of the time I lost the names and other times the whole mix would get corrupted and be unable to opened at all.

Actually not true. I just never did it. Technically there can probably be up to 255 tilesets in C&C1 (0-254; 255 is reserved for clear terrain, and equal to 0). The game currently only uses 215.

But even without that, any currently theater-dependent tileset (e.g. the snow patches or desert shores) can be created for other theaters (though they should have the same terrain type cell usage), and any existing tileset file can be expanded to contain 256 tiles, though the terrain types used in any tileset are limited to 2 in C&C1, and without exe changes any extra cells will use the primary terrain type set for that tileset. And you'll need to hex edit your maps to actually add those additional tiles :P

(the adding-tiles-to-an-existing-tileset-file-and-hex-editing-it-into-a-map is how I did this, by the way.)

By the way, on a vocabulary-technical note: one terrain piece (like, a river piece, a bridge, a piece of rock ridge) is a "tileset" or "template". One cell of it is a tile (or "icon", I believe CCHyper called it).  :P

Kind of what I thought. The terrain types is limited to 2 in Tib Dawn? Passable and Non-Passable? Also can't XCC Editor be expanded so you don't have to hex edit each map to add the new tileset?

I go with "tileset" and "tile" but it seem like most call tilesets "tiles". It may have came from Westwood as in WinEd they call tilesets "tiles".

WinEd.jpg.4d7fa746e814225482b58e11c0abbcac.jpg

On 4/25/2014 at 10:13 AM, Allen262 said:

Kind of what I thought. The terrain types is limited to 2 in Tib Dawn? Passable and Non-Passable?

Oh, goodness, no. Identified types are Clear, Water, Rock and Beach, but since these types take up IDs 0,2,3,6 there are probably more types in between. They simply aren't used, and I never bothered testing their effects.

It's just that C&C1 can only set three parameters for a tileset: the primary terrain type, the secondary terrain type, and a list of which cells use the secondary type. All the other cells simply default to the primary type.

You can check all of that out here:

http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/cnc95upd/inirules/tilesets.ini

Example:

[SH11]
SecondaryTypeCells=0,3
SecondaryType=Beach
X=3
Y=3
PrimaryType=Water
NameID=46

Gives a tileset layout of

BWW
BWW

So, this is a corner beach.

Also can't XCC Editor be expanded so you don't have to hex edit each map to add the new tileset?

Um. I dunno. It's not my program? The latest version does add any known tiles you add into the theater mix file, though, so if you create, for example, some kind of desert versions of these snow patches from Winter theater, and add them to desert.mix, they will appear in XCC Editor. But you need to respect their original footprint, of course.

I see.

I think XCC Editor uses .xif that has all of the data on how to load and display units, buildings and well tilesets. I have a copy of XIF Editor but is come with no docs on how to use it. You can get the XIF Editor from the XCC website. Well XCC Editor seem to be just as smart as RAED than. The good thing is RAED and RA1 will let you change the footprint of any tileset.

XIF_editor.png.fe311fae77bab322bf6ccba81dd692f8.png

Tschokky: Could you upload all the files inside jungle.mix? When I open jungle.mix it doesn't show the filenames, just the random checksums for each file.

Note to myself: add jungle.pal when updating ra303p-data

XCC Mixer still doesn't show me the filenames of the files inside the MIX, could you upload the files inside the MIX in a ZIP file? I need it to update the ra303p patch data repository.

I'm just going with jungle.mix as RAED now supports Jungle properly.