Jungle tileset

Tschokky

So, um... why didn't you make it jungle.mix? C&C95 actually SUPPORTS Jungle as theater.

You mean, if I save the *.MIX file in C&C95 folder as jungle.mix and set a map with the parameter Theater=Jungle, will it run directly?

C&C95 has always contained an entry for Jungle theater; it's where the idea for even making this came from. Only, in the original game, before my patch, the theater templates and terrain objects had a "theater ownership" set that excluded them from Jungle theater. When I added the Snow theater, I changed these ownership values to make them all work in any theater. As a side effect of that, Jungle is perfectly usable now.

As Matt pointed out, though, just renaming the .mix file won't work; all the files inside it need to have the .jun extension, too.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As Matt pointed out, though, just renaming the .mix file won't work; all the files inside it need to have the .jun extension, too.

Heyo, Tschokky: can you do this, since you're the father of the child? ...

umm... it's not hard... just extract all the files from the mix, rename them all from .tem to .jun, repack it in a mix file, and call that file jungle.mix.

It would make more sense for Tschokky to finish those collapse frames before releasing it as new jungle.mix, though :P

umm... it's not hard... just extract all the files from the mix, rename them all from .tem to .jun, repack it in a mix file, and call that file jungle.mix.

It would make more sense for Tschokky to finish those collapse frames before releasing it as new jungle.mix, though :P

I use FreeCommander to do my mass file renaming and/or mass file extension.

Yup.

Obviously it needs a "jungle.pal".

[edit]

Well, logical it doesn't work. You made it a Tiberian Sun mix file :huh:

Always use XCC Mix Editor (not XCC Mixer) to make mix files for Tiberian Dawn, and always make sure that in XCC Mix Editor, the type of the mix file is put to Tiberian Dawn before adding any files into it.

Also, all the .mrf files need to start with the theater letter as well, so for example "tclock.mrf" needs to become "jclock.mrf"

[another edit]

Also, it will never work unless you got a jungicnh.mix with the correct .jun icons, too.

Always use XCC Mix Editor (not XCC Mixer) to make mix files for Tiberian Dawn, and always make sure that in XCC Mix Editor, the type of the mix file is put to Tiberian Dawn before adding any files into it.

I always use XCC Mix Editor because I don't know how to use XCC Mixer to make mix files, I use it to extract solely. Unless you're referring to that.

Still, I don't know where in XCC Mix Editor I can choose the proper game. As far as I could see that is done in XCC Mixer, not XCC Mix Editor.

And by last, I blame you all, because it wasn't THAT simple, after all eehheheehehh ...

Still, I don't know where in XCC Mix Editor I can choose the proper game.

Click the "Options..." button. It has options of the mix file. Like the type, and for RA/TS/RA2 types, the encryption.

ok, on a more serious note, I'm getting no trees, but since I'm testing in a TEMPERATE theater swaped to JUNGLE in the INI file, there might be something I'm doing wrong.

Hmm. Good point. Looks like I simply expanded the Temperate trees to Snow, rather than made them free to use in all theaters, like I did with the terrain. Probably because incorrect tree usage in theaters that don't have them crashes the radar minimap when it doesn't find the graphics to resize.

I guess this means that, without further exe edits, jungle can indeed not be used on the "Jungle" theater name in C&C95...

Well, changing theaters' palettes is a bad idea in vanilla C&C... for RA the whole UI depends on the palette, and in both C&C and RA, there are special remap filters (.mrf files in C&C95; not sure about RA) that depend on the palette since they re-sort it to get visual effects ingame.

...I should really make a tool for creating those.

Ah right! I don't actually have a palette editor... I've been doing everything using temperat.pal for C&C, even my new theatre work.

That's not hard... convert a SHP to image with XCC with that palette selected, then open it in some image editor that can edit the image's palette (Paint shop pro, Gimp), save it, and then in xcc, right-click on the image and select "copy as PAL".

(I'm still not quite sure why Olaf never built in file type detection for JASC palettes though, to allow converting them back to C&C type palette. XCC can convert TO them, but not from. And JASC palettes are easy to edit; they're plain text)