Tschokky's C&C-RA (almost total) conversion

Tschokky

It's hard-coded but I don't know where. Nyerguds probably knows how it works for C&C1. Ask him.

Well, in C&C1 it's just that the constructor-calls for the buildings contain pointers to the grids, which are basically a list of cells, using 64 as wraparound value to indicate "cells on the next line". Might be larger in RA with the megamaps.

There are 3 types of such 'grids': the actual impassable building foundation cells, then the cells that are not part of the footprint but also need to be redrawn (typically, the hand sticking out above the Hand of Nod, or the corners of the Repair Bay outside the actual '+' shape), and then a third which I generally call the "exit grid"; a list of cells which indicate where units move to after being produced by the building.

For example, the repair bay:

Foundation:

_X_

XXX

_X_

is cells list 1,64,65,66,129 (in C&C1)

Refresh:

X_X

___

X_X

is cells list 0,2,128,130

They are stored in Words (2 bytes, big-endian), and closed with the value 7FFF (so, bytes FF 7F). Might be they're DWords in RA though with the bigger wraparound value.

Note that these grids can contain negative cells. In C&C1, the exit grid of the Airfield is a ring all around the building, meaning it contains negative cells for those above the 0,0 placement coordinates. Likewise, the SAM site has refreshed cells above its actual building cells; I assume this is for the turret popping up.

You can review the details of all existing grids in C&C1 here: grids.ini

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

oh, I forgot... buildings ALSO have a general setting that indicates their basic building dimensions (without bib included). This is an enum, so the values don't immediately reflect the actual dimensions linked to it:

0=1x1

1=2x1

2=1x2

3=2x2

4=2x3

5=3x2

6=3x3

7=4x2

8=5x5

(again, this is in C&C1; RA1 could be different)

This obviously also needs to be changed if the overall dimensions are changed.

http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/cnc95upd/inirules/strdims.ini

• 9 months later...

Well hello!

I apologise for my long absence. Now I'm back and I have improved my own conversion. Here are some screenshots. I have also finished my barren tileset, and I modified the graphics so the minimap clear tiles can be given a nice color. All theaters feature a water/land ridge, and I made a snow ant hill. Enjoy!

bar.png.3d68450fb02ce59f9357babf8d5a0724.png

des.png.eb7042a2e14a62f7b9972587ff3ab59e.png

jun.png.84acd2ed70667dcebe827c7ffc1b8953.png

sno.png.7d49707ec73584708c3ed5d4775bd7ff.png

tem.png.d01190923cc256c7f2abf0cc296d4d92.png

win.png.58bd9eea613941606bb653ca87861db3.png

Oh my. I was in a hurry and forgot about the jpeg files. I replaced the pictures in the previous comment.

Difficult mysteries:

- how can I change ridge color in the minimap without changing tree color?

- weird: GDI and NOD both build orcas - if I change ownership they both build apaches.

; Apache

[HELI]

Primary=ChainGun

Strength=125

Armor=heavy

TechLevel=9

Sight=0

Speed=14

Owner=allies

Cost=1200

Points=40

ROT=4

Ammo=12

Crewed=yes

GuardRange=30

; Orca

[HIND]

Primary=HellFire

Secondary=HellFire

Strength=125

Armor=heavy

TechLevel=9

Sight=0

Speed=16

Owner=soviet

Cost=1200

Points=50

ROT=4

Ammo=6

Rotors=0

Crewed=yes

GuardRange=30

- can't disable rotor for orca

- light, medium and mammoth tank projectiles explode like grenades, they should have the frag-like explosion (they have it if firepower is upgraded)

- can't edit multiplayer starting units (NOD oddly has hum-vees, and GDI has SSM launchers)

- can't edit building foundations

Can you help me in solving these, or these features are simply not available? Thank you.

The Apache/Orca but is know in Red Dawn as well but why your AI is building Orca's I have no idea. In Red Dawn

[HELI]=Orca and [HIND]=Apache and it did build Orca for Nod but you swiched things to [HELI]=Apache and [HIND]=Orca and they still like to built Orca's?

Vary odd.

Try adding a Prerequisite to both. Set the Prerequisite to HPAD,BARR for the Orca and Prerequisite HPAD,TENT for the Apache.

the helicopter thing I have no idea, but your other mentioned issues are pretty much all down to stuff that we can't change

Oh no :\ there was a patch "Arda" in which foundations and rotors could be changed.

Allen: yes, prerequisites are probably the answer. Strange bug.

This was about the rotors though :P

And, wasn't the foundations thing bleeding just because of people forgetting the refresh layer of the foundation? A building has two foundations;  impassable cells, and passable cells that also need to be refreshed. Three for unit-producing buildings, since they have exit target cells too.

• FunkyFr3sh changed the title to Tschokky's C&C-RA (almost total) conversion