How do I place a chinook onto the map?

Pat_Pas

White: as the others said, those are simply reinforced on the map from the start :)

Aircraft are not part of the normal units, and can thus not be placed in the [units] section. They would require an [Aircraft] section, but reading of this section was disabled in the game because there are bugs with placing aircraft that way.

you could've actually linked to it, Chimas :P

http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/cncstuff/cctxt/ccmanual.txt

Pat_Pas: Basically, the "Reinforce." and "Create Team" triggers have a parameter in them that refers to the list of Teamtypes. Teamtypes, in turn, specify the units in the team, and have a list of commands that allow them to move to specific spots, as specified by Waypoints. Waypoints are a list of locations on the map.

So you need to make a waypoint of where your chinook should go, make a teamtype of one chinook and tell it to move to that waypoint, and you need to make a trigger to reinforce that teamtype at the start of the mission.

If you're planning to get into mission scripting, though... read that text file. Completely. Everything you need to know is in there.

Also, additional note: never combine a chinook teamtype to place on the map with any other units, or it will act as airdrop, meaning the chinook will drop off the other units specified in the team, and then fly away again, off the map. The teamtype should always be one single chinook :P

One trick envolving Chinooks: usually, you use an engineer or the Commando to steal an enemy Chinook, but you can use CTRL+SELECT to grab an allied or neutral Chinook to your control (the engineer can do that to many allied or neutral structures too). This way  you can fly in a Chinook without risk loosing it to anti-air fire, because air units enters the map through random spots.

I think a similar bug happens with APC's, where they will be carrying all of the other units in the teamtype (including vehicles)

It's not a bug, it's a feature. It allows such airdrops, and it allows APCs with infantry to be reinforced. It simply has the limitation that you can't add other things into the team.

One trick envolving Chinooks: usually, you use an engineer or the Commando to steal an enemy Chinook, but you can use CTRL+SELECT to grab an allied or neutral Chinook to your control (the engineer can do that to many allied or neutral structures too). This way  you can fly in a Chinook without risk loosing it to anti-air fire, because air units enters the map through random spots.

I wouldn't advice this; it's horribly counter-intuitive for the player. If you set the "Edge" correctly on the house the chinook is from you can always make it reinforce from a side of the map that ensures it won't encounter anything player-owned hostile. If there is non-player owned hostile stuff on the map, just make the chinook of a different house allied with all other involved houses except the player.

Pat_Pas: On that note, the "Edge" setting on House settings (the "players") decides which side of the map reinforcements come from when they enter the map ;)

I refuse, on the grounds that you clearly didn't read the manual. You just clumsily threw together the stuff I said when first summing up the trigger, teamtype and waypoint stuff, while ignoring all the details.

So READ THE MANUAL TEXT FILE. IT HAS EXAMPLES OF THIS STUFF, AND THE FULL EXPLANATIONS BEHIND THEM. There's even an example of a trigger of an infantry airdrop. Take that, minus the infantry in the airdrop, and with its time set to 0, and you're there.

Really. Unless you read through all the stuff about triggers there, there's no way you'll manage any of the other scripting you'll undoubtedly need in your mission  :dry:

Going over your stuff:

-The chinooks don't have move commands. They have sleep commands. I assume this is because you never did anything more than creating them in some editor. As it is, this means there's nothing connecting them to the waypoints.

-The triggers have "None" as triggering action. This means they don't trigger. "None" is a dummy trigger that means "I didn't fill this in" :dry:

I read the manual before and now again, what I forgot to mention is that i didn't write the files letter for letter, I created the maps with the XCC editor, so I didn't really know just by the text what to fill in where. Atm I try to understand the editor's Teamtype and Trigger function with re-reading the files in texteditor, thanks so far, I hope I get it with what u already wrote. But please also understand I have no clue about programming and also english is not my native language, so I try best, didn't just want to let others do this because I don't want by myself.

Well, this isn't programming at all... it's just scripting. Telling the game what to do, and when. Triggers have a cause, an effect, and modifiers. You need a trigger with as cause "time", as effect "reinforce", and as modifiers, non-repeating, the chinook teamtype, and the counter set to the start of the mission, so, 0.

Though typically, Westwood missions with multiple helicopters have a different time for each trigger, like, 0 on the first, 1 on the second, 2 on the third, etc, so it's possible that more triggers with the exact same time don't work.

The teamtype, as I said, needs a command to move the helicopter to that waypoint. No matter whether you do this manually or through some editor, the act of adding a command shouldn't be too hard if you read the docs. I do think XCC shows the triggers and teamtypes in the same way that they end up in the ini file, no?

OK here an update... the chinooks appear! But how can I manage that the mcv doesnt spawn there, too? The map should have 5 spots where only chinooks appear and 5 spots where the mcv can appear.... Is there some way to block the mcv spawn points on some waypoints?

MCV? You didn't mention any MCVs... what exactly is the intended purpose of your script setup?

There's no way to just "spawn" units on a map... if you want MCVs, you either pre-place them, or make them reinforce from the edge of the map just like the chinooks. Only, they'd need to actually drive their way in, of course.

Yes it's just for a multiplayer map, not mission scripting, I just want to place some chinooks there for the start, just like seen in the files (scm files are multiplayer only?!).

To clear any misunderstanding: I created a map with XCC editor for Multiplayer, the 5 spawn points of the 5 MCV for the players are captured in sandbags. On a different isle there should be some engineers and neutral chinooks so that u can get your heli, catch up some units from another isle and then free your mcv.

So actual I need 5 waypoints for the MCVs for the players, and another 5 waypoints just for the helis which can't be simply put on the map just like neutral buildings can be.

With the waypoints now I finally could get my chinooks where I wanted, but the MCV spawns on such a point too, sometimes.