How do I place a chinook onto the map?

Pat_Pas

Yes it's just for a multiplayer map

...there's no "just" about that. A lot of the mission scripting stuff has a tendency to act odd in multiplayer :-\

Heck, anything related to AI units acts odd. You'll be lucky if they don't start randomly flying around or something, because all AI units on a multiplayer map revert to the Hunt command.

I think what they are trying to say is that the manual is for single player missions.

Multiplayer script is a lot more complicated and you shouldn't be starting by there.

Umm... No. This is plain wrong. There IS NO MULTIPLAYER SCRIPTING. At all. There is only the single player scripting, which in many cases works in multiplayer, but often not as it should.

Umm... No. This is plain wrong. There IS NO MULTIPLAYER SCRIPTING. At all.

Thanks for clearing that out, it was a wrong suspicion.

Pat_Pas

If you're planning to have chinooks and MCVs for whatever reason in a multiplayer map, make the map first as a 1x1 map just to make things work and after that you replicate things to the number of players you want. Diminishing risks will make your life easier. Another tip is to create a single player mission in an empty map size 15x15 and you make triggers and teamtypes work for the human player alone, later you copy and paste the command lines to the other MP map and adjust the parameters accordingly.

The problem is in multiplayer the waypoints automatically have the setting to be a spawn point for your mcv.... I don't know where you can block this command, the other thing with the chinook works now as it was intended to. For MCV starting points you just place a waypoint there and it's done...but that is the problem now. I have just seen this working on a different map but there the chinook points were the same as the mcv start points, only difference is that the chinooks dont appear right in the beginning.... If this doesn't work maybe I have to reject the fun part in the multiplayer map then and make a "standard" map out of it.

Ohh, that! I'm fairly sure I fixed that in my patch. Waypoints above 11 (0-11 being twice the maximum number of players) can be used in multiplayer scripting and will never act as MCV spawn points ;)

Waypoints are a specific range, by the way, from 0 to 27, because internally, somehow, they represent 'A' to 'Z'. (You see this on the trigger "DZ at 'z'", which puts a flare at waypoint 'Z', meaning, waypoint 27.) So you can't just use waypoint 302 or something ridiculously high like that; the game only reads them up to 27. Also, they don't need to be filled up in order. So just use waypoints 11 and above.

Pat_Pas

If you're planning to have chinooks and MCVs for whatever reason in a multiplayer map, make the map first as a 1x1 map just to make things work and after that you replicate things to the number of players you want. Diminishing risks will make your life easier. Another tip is to create a single player mission in an empty map size 15x15 and you make triggers and teamtypes work for the human player alone, later you copy and paste the command lines to the other MP map and adjust the parameters accordingly.

Bad idea as well. Maps smaller than the playing resolution have a ton of problems all by themselves... making a 1x1 map could crash the game for reasons completely unrelated to the scripting.

Also, even if what Nyer said wasn't true (which I'm glad it is), you could always just make it a 'no base' map and give players MCVs instead of starting waypoints.

That doesn't work. You can't 'not' give starting waypoints. Multiplayer logic says each player needs a spawned army, each at its own waypoint. You'll just run into the same bugs we had before when there were less starting points specified than there were players on the map, namely, the waypoints getting read from an array that was never filled, resulting in it using whatever crap happens to be left behind in memory there from previous operations and using that as starting points.

In fact, with my patch, the ingame LAN UI will see it as a 0-player map (since there are 0 valid waypoints) and refuse to let you start the game, and I sincerely hope cncnet copied these logics.

Not to mention, manually putting MCVs on the map will make those MCVs be there for all 6 players even if the map is played with less than 6, resulting in AI MCVs.

Oh, and, um, that would in no way solve the problem of the chinook landing spots, since those ALWAYS need waypoints :P

Yeah, no no it worked! I also thought of that second opportunity but I am glad it works now.

Glad you got it working!  :D

Bad idea as well. Maps smaller than the playing resolution have a ton of problems all by themselves... making a 1x1 map could crash the game for reasons completely unrelated to the scripting.

:D

He means a 1 vs 1 map to get the triggers, teamtypes etc work and then copy-paste them to all 6 players.

A one-cell map, nice idea indeed.  :laugh: