Command & Conquer: Dawn of Tomorrow teaser thread

Kilkakon

titletext.png

Command & Conquer: Dawn of Tomorrow

for Command & Conquer: Tiberian Dawn

Releasing on 30/5/20

C&C: Dawn of Tomorrow is a project for Tiberian Dawn. It has two complete 7 mission campaigns, featuring the main two factions of the project: The Company of Answers and the Forces of Tomorrow. There are also bonus missions for the other factions encountered during the campaigns: Russia, USA, Japan, Chris Brutal's forces and Civilians. The project is not designed for multiplayer at this time--due to the multiple changes I've made to the game, it'd be a little weird (and imbalanced, haha). It's not impossible however if there's interest :)

Who will you lead to victory? Will you attempt to conquer the world single handedly or seek to outwit the competition with corporate espionage? Will you take hold of one of the countries who are under threat from a dangerous terrorist regime? The choice will be yours... it was always meant to be yours...

The purpose of this thread is to show off some of the content that's being developed as it happens, so everybody's in the know! I welcome feedback and input on anything, and if you have any questions, I'll be more than happy to answer them.

teaserscreen0b.png

A typical day in the life of a Forces of Tomorrow base. Attacks on all sides. Nothing's getting through.

teaserscreen1a.png

Japanese forces entrench a small settlement against American aggression

teaserscreen2.png

Private security has taken over as the de-facto policing forces in this area. Note the dual tone structures

teaserscreen3.png

The Company of Answers lays siege to Tomorrow controlled shores

teaserscreen6.png

A forward Tomorrow Redoubt stands in defiance against Russian and US forces

teaserscreen5.png

These terrorists seem ripe for the taking... look, they even have Oil Refineries waiting for us... (thanks to White for the graphic I used as a base for mine)

Let's get into it and show off some of the factions' tech trees!

Company of Answers

Structures

answers.png

Units

answers-unitsa.png

Forces of Tomorrow

Structures

tomorrow.png

Units

tomorrow-unitsa.png

Russia

Structures

russia.png

Units

russia-units.png

USA

Structures

usaa.png

Units

usa-unitsa.png

Japan

Structures

japan.png

Units

japan-units.png

Keep watching this space! I'll be posting at least once a week with how the project is moving along. The next milestone will be a release for people who are interested in my upcoming mission making contest to use! And once again, comments and criticism is most welcome :laugh:

Edited by Kilkakon
Release date hype

Thank you White! :D As soon as I've finished the Japanese Conyard I'll happily launch the mapping contest so you guys can have a go!

It was a big temptation to use your troops for something :laugh: Be it for Chris Brutal's forces or otherwise. Hard to not make something OP though.

I was most tempted by the LMG guys. Give them the guard tower weapon. My problem with doing this is they completely outclass Navy SEALs and I'd rather keep SEALs as being the infantry kings. Snipers have a similar issue--they can get too strong easily.

Mortars are a possibility. As they'd share the same weapon as Redoubts I'd have to give them a clip size of 1... which could be a little slow firing. I'm open to suggestions :)

Honest John missile troops anyone? XD

Well, in my own mod, the sniper will NOT instant kill troops. He'll just do good dmg and have long range. Heavy M/G and regular rilfes in my own mod will be different warheads, the LMG will be infantry with the M/G warhead but without the extra dmg. The warhead will be the same vs infantry as regular rifle (small arms) but to extra against light vehicles and heavy etc. So, he'll be an expensive rifle if you only make him take on other infantry.

-Liam

Ah clever! Yeah when you have that much control over warheads then you can make some more interesting tactical choices :) I like it White!

In my mod, Navy SEALs are just minigunners with +20% speed, 3x damage, 3x range, a bit more health and 3x the cost.

I'm undecided on adding extra infantry (could add some rocket alternatives). I'll let you guys know what I decide.

Was trying out some experimental Mortar troops. Turns out, only Civilians can wield weapons with clips in C&C! For some reason my attempts to give normal units a clip of anything other than infinite just makes them never reload. :O

So it looks like the Mortar Troops, if I implement them, are going to have an interesting hit and run mechanic XD

Thanks to White, I modified his RPG soldier and put him into my mod! :laugh: Check 'em out!

teaserscreen6.png

These replace Bazookas for the Forces of Tomorrow, amusingly can spawn from destroyed civilian structures. Insurgents! XD

A comparison between the RPGs and Bazookas

- Both are $300, move speed 6, 25 health, 4 range, 60 rate of fire

- Bazookas fire 30 damage AP rounds

- RPGs fire inaccurate 50 damage HE rounds

The result is that RPGs are similar to C&C grenadiers with longer range and with anti-air capability. Should be interesting!

The mod looks good. Just a few questions though...

[*]Why isn't your website http://kilkakon.com/ in your sig? Is it a secret? :P

[*]What's the background story? On your website, it just basically says;  (paraphrasing): "You're either bad or good. If you're good - side with Company of Answers, bad - side with Forces of Tomorrow". I'm sure there's a lot more to it than that.

[*]Any sample videos?

[*]How come this is not in ModDB?

[*]Are you releasing a beta?

Thanks for the interest! I'll answer your questions in turn:

1. I had a button the left, so I thought it was a bit redundant! :laugh: I don't mind having it there though, was just trying to focus attention on the project.

2. Yes there is--I'll do a longer write up of it and post it soon. I was focusing on gameplay with this announcement so far!

3. Not at this time, but it's something I am considering when I have some video content as well.

4. I read the terms and conditions of ModDB and they were a bit concerning, making it sound like they took ownership of anything that was submitted to them. I will email them sometime to clarify this, I don't want my hard work getting taken off me.

5. I'm currently thinking of releasing a closed beta to people interested in making maps for the project, as a form of mini-contest.

Oh and @ Karpet, nice idea :) I'll think of something and show when I have something to show.

As Brandonvortex and Karpet have suggested, the Navy SEAL icon was a bit too much "RA2" and not enough "C&C". So I've modified it to match the original look a bit more, as well as giving it an icon, Karpet's suggestion going in as you can see below.

Also, thanks Allen :D I have worked hard on it :) The theatre needs a few more buildings before it's 100% done but I am pretty pleased so far! :laugh:

I'm making a start on the next map for the release. Only 3 more to go, and I have concepts for 2 of them nutted out already, so hopefully it won't be too long now before some of you guys can play! :cncsmirk:

navy_seal.png.42ffb405975ff91f59784e3e78734b13.png

It would have the regular "skirmish" that would just be multiplayer without any other players, so just some AI random units that you can go out and hunt, but that's all. Red Alert was the first game to have skirmish, this game is for Command and Conquer.

I will need to review the multiplayer side of things anyway... it's not remotely thought out at this stage (and there's problems, like every MP map would need to have triggers for money, and some stuff would be on the wrong teams, and only 2 factions would be playable... etc. etc.)