Command & Conquer: Dawn of Tomorrow teaser thread

Kilkakon

1 hour ago, Syrianrefugeeengineer said:

Very nice job! It looks fantastic.

But one thing: Please, change your design, that you only need a facotry and barracs to build apcs :).

Can you implement stealth apcs as well?

And how many factions do you have? USA, but what else? Russia? China? Northcorea?

COntinue the great work!

There isn't a multiplayer, dude -.-

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Syrianrefugeeengineer said:

Then make one, "dude" ;).

This mod was started well before CnCNet was at the level it's at now.
And, Kilk has expressed before that he has, in no way, balanced this mod for multiplayer.

Instead of demanding stuff, why not go and check out what this mod is and is all about.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, chem said:

Very very impressive, well done!!!

Some very loose suggestions

Id like to see the artillery with longer range, and faster turning speed! ie behave like a real artillery and fire far!

Can you give the A10 a super chain gun?

Id like to see Tank shells kill troops too, it seems silly that a tank with a cannon cant kill a troop and that a troop with a machine gun can kill a tank or a building, maybe make tanks immune to mini gunners, and mini gunners die to 1-3 shots but make them super cheap to compensate like 25 credits? Also make the bazookas do more damage to tanks and troops to further balance

If a human is hit by a tank shell armor piecing or not he is dead, same with a bazooka lol I always thought that was a lame way to balance the game ie to make it very unrealistic

Thank you Chem :D

I like your suggestion of making the Artillery more powerful. It's woefully underused in the classic game. The other suggestions would infringe on the other factions too much, but I'll make the Artillery less clunky to use ^^

On Sunday, 21 January 2018 at 8:05 PM, AchromicWhite said:

The new humvee sounds insane... like I'm scared it'll legit be OP... even in campaign, haha.
Maybe being such a glass cannon it'll be alright. Would have to test it to be sure.

Yeah, it's got 300 HP, light armour and dual chainguns. Too strong? Who knows :P

13 hours ago, Inq said:

Progress looks great Kilkakon:cncsmirk:

Only artwork suggestion would be:

Perhaps add a little weather damage/rust to the flat panels on the powerplant rework.

Ah yes that one was for my Christmas map! It was a bit difficult to draw that one as I have very few colours in that range. Glad you like it though--I won't be using it in my mod just yet as I have no space for it but I will be releasing it for public use when I have redone the buildup animation (the one in the Christmas map was a bit rushed)

6 hours ago, Syrianrefugeeengineer said:

Very nice job! It looks fantastic.

But one thing: Please, change your design, that you only need a facotry and barracs to build apcs :).

Can you implement stealth apcs as well?

And how many factions do you have? USA, but what else? Russia? China? Northcorea?

COntinue the great work!

Hey welcome to the thread man! I hope you'll enjoy the game when it's released.

There's 5 main factions :) Forces of Tomorrow, Company of Answers, USA, Russia and Japan.

As White pointed out, this is a single player mod. If it's really popular then I'm happy to explore a multiplayer version, although I'd probably have to pick two factions and do some pretty heavy hacking away at things to make them far. One team doesn't even get a Weapons Factory haha.

In the mean time you can check this vid out if you wanna see some gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIFisBPfMlE

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Syrianrefugeeengineer said:

How about "priests" like in AoE I for the Company of Answers? xD

Which would do what, exactly? C&C has no support for healing weapons, nor for capturing units. The only way to repair is through the repair pad, and the only way to capture units is by putting an engineer into a building the unit is docked to.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

TD is indeed a problem in that regard.

But wait, has the hospital not once been modified? Or was that through RA?

What if one group has all infantry being classified as vehicles? How would that work?

Just posting idea's. I don't know if it works.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys! Time for another update--this time the Machine Shop!

posted image

As you can see my plan with it is to have it as a tall 1x1 building with concrete bib. There's a slight issue in that the only way to implement this is to make it a power-plant sized building (size 3) with a small footprint, which means that most people look like they are attacking the ground behind it rather than the shop itself, and selection box for it is unnaturally large.

What do you guys think? :) Looks good? Any suggestions or done well as is? Should I give up on the bib entirely?

Edited by Kilkakon

The bib does look a bit odd.

What  was the reasoning behind the 1x1 choice? (not sure why such a small shop, would need two large smoke stacks!)

It looks good with the area you have to work with... although perhaps the bunker part should be shaded grey also. (or house colour)

Edited by Inq

I was inspired by addons from Starcraft :), which are pretty small. I could have gone 2x1, but this is what I ended up landing on after moving blocks and objects around in 3D Studio. There was also the desire to have that L shape on the bib, but as you say it looked strange after the fact. I wanted something that looked Weapons-Factory-esque but not copy/pasted.

I'll post an updated screenshot tonight once I've done the hex editing to make the refresh work. Without the bib players can build it behind the factory to make it look like a megafactory haha.

Yeah, it looks neat, but just a bit strange for C&C being so small.
Would be cool if we could actually do add-ons.
Sill, maybe having the 3 spaces of bib is fine... I mean, it's different, but it doesn't look graphically incorrect.

The icon looks really nice, too. Really good job on that, actually. Did you just snap a picture of the 3D model and paste it onto a stock cameo background? 

Edited by AchromicWhite

Hey thanks White :)

If you guys think that I should try again or make it larger I'm happy to try. Could always make a little scrapyard arrangement around it and make it 1x2 with a bib.

The icon is a bit of a combination actually. I removed the refinery from its icon to create that countryside, then rerendered the model at the appropriate angle and did a bunch of touchups to get to what you have here.

3 minutes ago, Kilkakon said:

Hey thanks White :)

If you guys think that I should try again or make it larger I'm happy to try. Could always make a little scrapyard arrangement around it and make it 1x2 with a bib.

The icon is a bit of a combination actually. I removed the refinery from its icon to create that countryside, then rerendered the model at the appropriate angle and did a bunch of touchups to get to what you have here.

I think, it's up to you how you want to do it, I guess it's just a more outlying feature of a structure in that it's so small. I did actually plan to do a similar tech styled structure in C&C:CR but have never gotten around to it... it was going to replace the GAP generator. So, as I say, it looks fine, just different.
But as you say, you could also just remove the bib, and have a different feel for it again.

Well, the icon looks great regardless. Nice job.

• Like 1

Yeah after having tried and implemented the 1x1 size, I feel that going wider just makes sense as the small one looks odd and too tiny. Power of experimentation! Might even be enough to centre the current building on a 2x2 bib with a few barrels around it (or even by itself)

I don't actually have internet at my new place yet, so my posts will slow down for the next few days.

I'm back online!

Here's a preview of what I've managed during my downtime. Can you spot all the changes?

posted image

• Finalised Machine Shop, including damage frame (I like the 2x2 bib :D )
  • Finalised APC icon
  • Darkened Hum-vee windscreen so it fits with the Teal scheme better
  • I also buffed the Artillery, although you can't really see that with a screenshot :P

Edited by Kilkakon

On 15/02/2018 at 11:50 AM, Kilkakon said:

• Finalised APC icon

Might just be mild ocd... but should you not mirror the APC icon so its driving left to right like the rest of the vehicle icons? :P

Machine shop looks good on the bigger bib - I do still find it a bit odd being so small.

• 2 weeks later...

Heh heh what can I say White? :D You're welcome~ Hit me up if you do make anything cool.

I've started to go through the maps again and try to fix up the issues brought up in testing. About 6 maps will need to have their triggers or layout rearranged to some degree.

Still feels good when my to do list went from over 2000 characters to under 2000 characters :cncsmirk:

• Like 1

I've been thinking a bit more about the faction balance and had an open question for you all.

Would it be a problem if Russia lost access to the Rocket APC? They already have SSM and Mammoth tanks to handle anti-air, and their infantry lineup is the worst in the game.

If I do remove the Russian Rocket APC, I can then think about implementing the following ideas:

• Japan Move the APC functionality to the Tear Gas Tank, making a Teargas APC
  • Japan Add a Missile Crawler, a long range missile launcher that is effective against aircraft, vehicles and buildings, but not infantry
  • Remove Rocket APC from both Russia and Japan, making it a Tomorrow exclusive vehicle

Food for thought :) Let me know what you think

EDIT: http://kilkakon.com/c&c/russia.php#units and http://kilkakon.com/c&c/japan.php#units are the current arsenals :)

Edited by Kilkakon

• 2 weeks later...

Well as there's been no reply, I thought I can share something that I was tinkering with Jungle. I love Tschokky's work with the theatre, but I was wondering if it would be possible to do some palette changes to make something more tropical.

posted image

... into...

posted image

This is a bit closer to what I was thinking. Note that this is a very rough colourisation job so this isn't really representative of what the final product would be should I end up doing more. I would of course only want to proceed with Tschokky''s blessing.

On balance, however, I feel that this is a bit too much work for this main release. This mod has already taken a decade of development off and on and it'd be nice to finish it this year. :) Maybe for a follow-up add on campaign?

Edited by Kilkakon

• 2 weeks later...