Command & Conquer: Dawn of Tomorrow teaser thread

Kilkakon

On 20/02/2017 at 3:49 AM, Kilkakon said:
How do you turn a 3D object into that???!!!

I positioned the camera at the right angle and then rotated the model over 32 frames :)

Which is kind of... how all C&C1 graphics were made. Don't really see how that's so amazing or surprising :D

• Like 1

Actually not quite--SAMs have an insane range in C&C, even longer than SSM missiles :O Because of their long range, they take very wide circular approaches to their target, which makes them easy fodder for SAM Sites. Against SAMs, you need 6 to reliably destroy one, due to the heavy armour on the site.

Against literally anything else though, these things rock pretty hard. They level base structures and most ground units.

Here's the icon I just made for the unit :cncsmirk:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am pleased to announce that I have completed all of the campaign intermissions. There's some string table work to go, but otherwise we're just down to videos and voice overs! The end is in sight!

So that I don't leave you with nothing, I will leave here an early sketch of my female character, Eva. Let me know if you have any suggestions for her as I am not experienced drawing women.

eva sketch2.png

• 5 months later...

Wow, has it really been six months? Feels bad man :(

I've opened up a Discord group for those who are interested in following my progress more closely :cncsmirk:

https://discord.gg/ZUs7VBT

My problem is that a lot of the remaining stuff I have to do is pretty spoilertastic :( So I have been working on things behind the scenes. One of the community members gave the campaign a play through and I fixed up all the issues he raised (Thanks so much!) but it feels bad to not have much for you guys. Might make a new map or something to give you some juicy content :)

posted image

A work in progress :D

Edited by Kilkakon
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey thanks for checking in White :) Was nice to see your message. I have been tinkering with X-COM a bit lately, but I have been inspired to get back onto things! Here's a sneak peek of something I was working on last night.

posted image

An edit of the silo to be filled with oil instead~

• 2 weeks later...

Happy new year everyone :)

Time for an update post on where C&C is at. My best friend gave the campaigns a playthrough for me through Steam streaming and was able to give me some useful feedback. I don't want to spoil anything in particular, but short version is that I'll be making some improvements to the Tomorrow campaign in particular as the attacks tend to come through one choke too easily, as well as the Construction Yards being too easily destroyed or seized.

The Company of Answers campaign was better received, although there were some worrying crashes that occurred through the game. I'm not sure if they were the fault of ddraw, Steam or C&C itself either, although notably with the singlecore feature of ddraw on the FMVs were basically unplayable (mega laggy). Might have to try different settings like the gdi renderer.

Crashes aside, he did raise a good point that mission 4 was rather long due to it being one of those "go out and destroy the whole enemy base" type missions. To help with the monotony I've decided to allow the CoA faction to build Chinooks, requiring the Airstrike Control.

Here's the updated tech tree:

posted image

The website has also been updated to reflect this change.

I was happy that my Christmas map was well received. I'll be polishing up and releasing the content that was included in the map for you all to use. If there's anything in particular that you want me to prioritise let me know.

• 3 weeks later...

Time for another update!

Continuing with advice from Scionox I have taken a look at the USA faction and attempted to breathe life into it with some unique additions to the team. While it was not my intention, USA did end being a bit of a "leftovers faction" as all of their "unique" items were shared with different factions. A bit too Age of Empires. Check out the revised tech tree:

posted image

Comments on the changes:

• The Machine Shop ($500) has been added. I've yet to design this structure, which will be my next project.
  • The Light Tank ($600) was a campaign only unit that has now been restored as a buildable unit. It uses White's SHP and has a single TOW rocket that operates in a similar way to the Mammoth Tank.
  • The Hum-vee ($600) has been reimplemented as a powerful all-rounder unit. It is slower and tankier than its C&C counterpart, and carries a dual chaingun. Basically a C&C Attack Helicopter on wheels. Ouch!
  • The Artillery (price uncertain) is an addition only possible with Nyer's hidden units. Thanks to help for helping unlock them for my use. This piece is quite similar to the C&C counterpart, with a bit more damage and range. I'm not sure about it--it might need to be more manoeuvrable to be worth using. Clunky as.
  • The APC ($600) is armed with dual minigunner weapons. It's a functional unit, designed to be a cheap transport. The icon is WIP, I would appreciate some feedback on it to make it 100%-- something still feels off to me.

Let me know what you guys think! :cncsmirk: Feedback is always welcome and greatly helps the mod out.

Edited by Kilkakon
  • Like 1