Command & Conquer: Dawn of Tomorrow teaser thread

Kilkakon

Yay a reply! Thanks Inq :) If I go ahead with the changes I'll give Russia a replacement unit as well then.

The main thing is having enough shps to fill the various requirements. Anybody know why sprites.openra.net went down? I don't know of any other places for TD sprites other than here to be honest. If I can find suitable shps and not spend 6 months slowly making 3 more units that would be a smart call. Ultimately I just don't want to delay things too much longer. Maybe I can loot White's stuff again :P

45 minutes ago, Kilkakon said:

Yay a reply! Thanks Inq :) If I go ahead with the changes I'll give Russia a replacement unit as well then.

The main thing is having enough shps to fill the various requirements. Anybody know why sprites.openra.net went down? I don't know of any other places for TD sprites other than here to be honest. If I can find suitable shps and not spend 6 months slowly making 3 more units that would be a smart call. Ultimately I just don't want to delay things too much longer. Maybe I can loot White's stuff again :P

There is a couple in here https://ppmforums.com/index.php?f=110&sid=3fae8a26530345aaa3c9f37a7c27d6a2

Its pretty much a mix of all types of shp's so you'd need to trawl it. (RA2 TS TD RA etc)

Nooze made a tank destroyer, might be useable to you once converted to TD palette? https://ppmforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=44081

Besides that there are shp files included in certain maps on https://resource.openra.net/. Wither its easy to track down which ones & the maker/author of the shp's is another question.

• Thanks 1

On 4/4/2018 at 7:58 PM, Inq said:

There is a couple in here https://ppmforums.com/index.php?f=110&sid=3fae8a26530345aaa3c9f37a7c27d6a2

Its pretty much a mix of all types of shp's so you'd need to trawl it. (RA2 TS TD RA etc)

Nooze made a tank destroyer, might be useable to you once converted to TD palette? https://ppmforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=44081

Besides that there are shp files included in certain maps on https://resource.openra.net/. Wither its easy to track down which ones & the maker/author of the shp's is another question.

Holy crap, that looks amazing!... I wish I could make SHPs like this! O.O

Sorry Kilk... hadn't been around for a while... I need to make sure I check up on this thread more often.

Sometimes not a lot of units can still work out for a team, as long as they have a variety of warheads. They have tanks, long range flame and AA? That's pretty much all that GDI uses in TD. Grens, M.Tanks, Hummers (snipe flamer troops) Mammoth/bazooka for AA.
Given that you're only aiming for SP missions, I'd think it'd be fine. So it'll be more about how the mission plays and the feel of it, I'd say.

Tropical sounds interesting for a theatre. I really like how your mod is based all around the world. It's pretty cool.

I've managed to implement the Windmill :) Thanks to Nyer for letting me know the hex bit to change to allow additional frames.

posted image

I've also re-implemented some of the buildings that have since been removed to use for regular buildings, in fact all the buildings above were not usable until today.

Thanks to Inq's suggestion, I've added a new Russian light vehicle to replace the outgoing Rocket APC. It's called the Malyutka; equipped with a single bazooka rocket on a light and fairly quick chassis. I've gone with using White's sprite for this one:

posted image

I'll be adding 2 more units, the Missile Crawler and the Tear-gas APC, soon :)

2 hours ago, AchromicWhite said:

Holy crap, that looks amazing!... I wish I could make SHPs like this! O.O

Sorry Kilk... hadn't been around for a while... I need to make sure I check up on this thread more often.

Sometimes not a lot of units can still work out for a team, as long as they have a variety of warheads. They have tanks, long range flame and AA? That's pretty much all that GDI uses in TD. Grens, M.Tanks, Hummers (snipe flamer troops) Mammoth/bazooka for AA.
Given that you're only aiming for SP missions, I'd think it'd be fine. So it'll be more about how the mission plays and the feel of it, I'd say.

Tropical sounds interesting for a theatre. I really like how your mod is based all around the world. It's pretty cool.

Thanks for catching up and sharing your thoughts ^^ I appreciate getting some sweet feedback. Hope the above was in line with what you're thinking :D

posted image

The missile crawler has now been added! Notice how it's actually now for Tomorrow--I decided to move the MRLS over to Japan as they have it in real life :)

Next up will be Tear Gas APC--it's actually already implemented hex editing wise, I just need to come up with some graphics. I'm open to suggestions--currently thinking of the regular APC with some nozzles added to the front and two small tanks on top?

17 hours ago, Kilkakon said:

posted image

The missile crawler has now been added! Notice how it's actually now for Tomorrow--I decided to move the MRLS over to Japan as they have it in real life :)

Next up will be Tear Gas APC--it's actually already implemented hex editing wise, I just need to come up with some graphics. I'm open to suggestions--currently thinking of the regular APC with some nozzles added to the front and two small tanks on top?

Nice, Maybe a teargas mortar?

posted image

30 minutes ago, Inq said:

Nice, Maybe a teargas mortar?

The Tear Gas APC is basically a fusion of a flame tank (that fires chem spray) and an APC... while the mortar would be realistic it isn't what the vehicle does.

Basically, how would a cool flame/chem spray APC look? :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kilkakon said:

The Tear Gas APC is basically a fusion of a flame tank (that fires chem spray) and an APC... while the mortar would be realistic it isn't what the vehicle does.

Basically, how would a cool flame/chem spray APC look? :D

Is it turreted? it'd look like this:

posted image

I guess for game purpose it could have a green tank on back rear? for identification

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Whoa everything's White :O What have you done White? :P

Thanks for the offer Messiah :) I had a look through and nothing really jumped out at me but I appreciate it.

I've had some opportunity to try out the new units after taking some time to release a shimeji update. Turns out the missile crawler was pretty OP, haha. I've pushed it up to $1500 instead of $1000 to help slow down mass missile crawler spam.

Thanks also to all the suggestions on how to make the tear gas APC look good. I'm thinking of going with trying to make two small gas tanks and strapping them on the back of the existing APC.

posted image

Some early work on the Tear gas APC. This is the Red Alert APC fused with the Mine layer's dozer blade. I do agree that having some gas tanks will help it be more distinct.

The Tank Hunter icon is also new--I wanted it to look less like the Light Tank now that the Light Tank's back in the game.

Ignore the radar logo, it's cut content that might come later :)

EDIT: Could somebody let me know what is the best ddraw to try? I've been having massive issues with videos and I'm wondering if it's my old ddraw version (circa 2012)

Edited by Kilkakon

• 4 weeks later...

To celebrate the cringe EA mobile C&C game I've finished off the Tear Gas APC. Sorry for a slow month, work took a lot out of me.

posted image

posted image

posted image

I would love some feedback on this one. I did the turret by hand and I feel it is like... 95% right? The rotations aren't really perfect but it's probably good enough, I would just like some confirmation :D

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kilkakon said:

To celebrate the cringe EA mobile C&C game I've finished off the Tear Gas APC. Sorry for a slow month, work took a lot out of me.

posted image

posted image

posted image

I would love some feedback on this one. I did the turret by hand and I feel it is like... 95% right? The rotations aren't really perfect but it's probably good enough, I would just like some confirmation :D

Literally came to forum to post about EA's new C&C title... at least we have you, Kilk, to fill all our C&C needs xD

It looks really cool. Simple design that borrows from a few other cnc vehicles.
The turret is locked, yeah? You could try doing a little shading under the barrel to give it a little more 3D effect. It does look like quite a bright turret, maybe a little cartoon like.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback White. :cncsmirk:

Yes the turret's locked. Currently that gold colour's being used for all the tear gas stuff--both the handheld thrower weapon that the infantry have and the turret here. Maybe the barrel could be another colour, I'm just concerned about contrast as Japan's the owner of the vehicle. I originally tried a black barrel but it got lost in the dozer blade.

The shadow's a nice idea though!

19 hours ago, Kilkakon said:

Thanks for the feedback White. :cncsmirk:

Yes the turret's locked. Currently that gold colour's being used for all the tear gas stuff--both the handheld thrower weapon that the infantry have and the turret here. Maybe the barrel could be another colour, I'm just concerned about contrast as Japan's the owner of the vehicle. I originally tried a black barrel but it got lost in the dozer blade.

The shadow's a nice idea though!

I'd agree with White; I think it needs shadow - so it pop's out a bit more, Perhaps a grey-blue barrel with shadow. (look at the GDI mammoth tank turret barrels for example)

I guess the barrel could also be made shorter or thinner as it's a short range weapon.

Overall I like the unit though.

On another note: What an absolute abomination that EA game is... Makes the cancelled Generals 2 or Chinese rip-off game look great in comparison. ?

• Like 1