CnCNet Forums

Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kilkakon

Command & Conquer: Dawn of Tomorrow teaser thread

Hey there everyone. It's been a year since last update, wow! While I've been more active on my Discord server it's way past time to let you know how things have been going.

First off, here's an animated GIF of Eva, a start on the cinematics:

output_lCcK5U.gif

I've yet to do more with her but I am happy that she's finally got to a place where I'm proud of how she looks rather than internally screaming. I hope to get some time to flesh out her remaining frames soon.

Otherwise, I've done some work with Nyer on projectiles, allowing two as of yet classified units to work correctly and have nice attacking animations. It goes without saying Nyer is a beast and nothing would have been possible without him. :cncsmirk:

I've also done a significant amount of improvements on the maps. I had a friend play through the campaigns and note any issues with AI pathing and so on. I actually had to remake FoT6 entirely as it wasn't possible to fix the problems with the old geography. I'd say that at least half of the maps received improvements of one form or another. Those map reworks are all done now, with the possible exception of FoT3, which I feel is a bit stagnant and leads to overly defensive while waiting for reinforcements play.

Last and most importantly, earlier this year I tried to move my C&C setup to my Windows 10 PC, to my loss. I had issues getting the resolutions and shaders to work properly, followed by further hard crashes to desktop when I tried to run through my campaigns repeatedly. As of time of writing, I'm unable to play through the CoA campaign without a crash on CoA6, and it crashes even earlier when playing through the FoT campaign first. This really shattered my morale for the project as I was completely at a loss of what to do about it.

unknown.png

Then, this week, I'll call it divine inspiration, I remembered of an old university assignment that I did back in 2011, where I used C&C as an example of game testing, as I knew of several ways to crash it back then, the most reliable of which was using sc*.mix files to introduce cameos and then proceed to play a campaign. Nyer's recommended solution for solving this was to store all my icons directly in the *icnh.mix files, which seemed to resolve the issue back in the day. Thinking that this problem might have returned, I ran through the vanilla C&C campaign using my existing cncdraw settings, which worked without incident. Then I went back to my project, and replaced the *icnh.mix files with the vanilla ones. Lo and behold, the crashes disappeared entirely.

So my current working theory is that the game is not handling my larger mix files properly (mine are 218KB, the vanilla ones are 120KB). Perhaps it's because I have jungle files in the directory that I am not using (could delete them just to be safe, the extra theatre seems too much trouble for now) or it is related to the sc*.mix crash which was easier to provoke. At the end of the day while it's not yet working I have hope that a solution can be found now that I know what's wrong rather than the unknown fog of shrouded mystery.

I'm also spurred on by the news of EA remastering the game. I'd like to beat them to release if I can.

Sorry it's been so long everyone. Let me know if you want to see anything in particular or if you want any additional information.

• Upvote 1