Jump to content

CnCNet Forums

Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Command & Conquer: Dawn of Tomorrow teaser thread


Kilkakon
 Share

Recommended Posts

Yay a reply! Thanks Inq :) If I go ahead with the changes I'll give Russia a replacement unit as well then.

The main thing is having enough shps to fill the various requirements. Anybody know why sprites.openra.net went down? I don't know of any other places for TD sprites other than here to be honest. If I can find suitable shps and not spend 6 months slowly making 3 more units that would be a smart call. Ultimately I just don't want to delay things too much longer. Maybe I can loot White's stuff again :P

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Kilkakon said:

Yay a reply! Thanks Inq :) If I go ahead with the changes I'll give Russia a replacement unit as well then.

The main thing is having enough shps to fill the various requirements. Anybody know why sprites.openra.net went down? I don't know of any other places for TD sprites other than here to be honest. If I can find suitable shps and not spend 6 months slowly making 3 more units that would be a smart call. Ultimately I just don't want to delay things too much longer. Maybe I can loot White's stuff again :P

There is a couple in here https://ppmforums.com/index.php?f=110&sid=3fae8a26530345aaa3c9f37a7c27d6a2

Its pretty much a mix of all types of shp's so you'd need to trawl it. (RA2 TS TD RA etc)

Nooze made a tank destroyer, might be useable to you once converted to TD palette? https://ppmforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=44081

 

Besides that there are shp files included in certain maps on https://resource.openra.net/. Wither its easy to track down which ones & the maker/author of the shp's is another question.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/4/2018 at 7:58 PM, Inq said:

There is a couple in here https://ppmforums.com/index.php?f=110&sid=3fae8a26530345aaa3c9f37a7c27d6a2

Its pretty much a mix of all types of shp's so you'd need to trawl it. (RA2 TS TD RA etc)

Nooze made a tank destroyer, might be useable to you once converted to TD palette? https://ppmforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=44081

 

Besides that there are shp files included in certain maps on https://resource.openra.net/. Wither its easy to track down which ones & the maker/author of the shp's is another question.

 

Holy crap, that looks amazing!... I wish I could make SHPs like this! O.O

Sorry Kilk... hadn't been around for a while... I need to make sure I check up on this thread more often.

Sometimes not a lot of units can still work out for a team, as long as they have a variety of warheads. They have tanks, long range flame and AA? That's pretty much all that GDI uses in TD. Grens, M.Tanks, Hummers (snipe flamer troops) Mammoth/bazooka for AA.
Given that you're only aiming for SP missions, I'd think it'd be fine. So it'll be more about how the mission plays and the feel of it, I'd say.

Tropical sounds interesting for a theatre. I really like how your mod is based all around the world. It's pretty cool.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've managed to implement the Windmill :) Thanks to Nyer for letting me know the hex bit to change to allow additional frames.

posted image

I've also re-implemented some of the buildings that have since been removed to use for regular buildings, in fact all the buildings above were not usable until today.

Thanks to Inq's suggestion, I've added a new Russian light vehicle to replace the outgoing Rocket APC. It's called the Malyutka; equipped with a single bazooka rocket on a light and fairly quick chassis. I've gone with using White's sprite for this one:

posted image

I'll be adding 2 more units, the Missile Crawler and the Tear-gas APC, soon :)

2 hours ago, AchromicWhite said:

Holy crap, that looks amazing!... I wish I could make SHPs like this! O.O

Sorry Kilk... hadn't been around for a while... I need to make sure I check up on this thread more often.

Sometimes not a lot of units can still work out for a team, as long as they have a variety of warheads. They have tanks, long range flame and AA? That's pretty much all that GDI uses in TD. Grens, M.Tanks, Hummers (snipe flamer troops) Mammoth/bazooka for AA.
Given that you're only aiming for SP missions, I'd think it'd be fine. So it'll be more about how the mission plays and the feel of it, I'd say.

Tropical sounds interesting for a theatre. I really like how your mod is based all around the world. It's pretty cool.

Thanks for catching up and sharing your thoughts ^^ I appreciate getting some sweet feedback. Hope the above was in line with what you're thinking :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

posted image

The missile crawler has now been added! Notice how it's actually now for Tomorrow--I decided to move the MRLS over to Japan as they have it in real life :)

Next up will be Tear Gas APC--it's actually already implemented hex editing wise, I just need to come up with some graphics. I'm open to suggestions--currently thinking of the regular APC with some nozzles added to the front and two small tanks on top?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Kilkakon said:

posted image

The missile crawler has now been added! Notice how it's actually now for Tomorrow--I decided to move the MRLS over to Japan as they have it in real life :)

Next up will be Tear Gas APC--it's actually already implemented hex editing wise, I just need to come up with some graphics. I'm open to suggestions--currently thinking of the regular APC with some nozzles added to the front and two small tanks on top?

Nice, Maybe a teargas mortar?

posted image

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Inq said:

Nice, Maybe a teargas mortar?

The Tear Gas APC is basically a fusion of a flame tank (that fires chem spray) and an APC... while the mortar would be realistic it isn't what the vehicle does.

Basically, how would a cool flame/chem spray APC look? :D

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kilkakon said:

The Tear Gas APC is basically a fusion of a flame tank (that fires chem spray) and an APC... while the mortar would be realistic it isn't what the vehicle does.

Basically, how would a cool flame/chem spray APC look? :D

Is it turreted? it'd look like this:

 

posted image

 

I guess for game purpose it could have a green tank on back rear? for identification

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Whoa everything's White :O What have you done White? :P

Thanks for the offer Messiah :) I had a look through and nothing really jumped out at me but I appreciate it.

I've had some opportunity to try out the new units after taking some time to release a shimeji update. Turns out the missile crawler was pretty OP, haha. I've pushed it up to $1500 instead of $1000 to help slow down mass missile crawler spam.

Thanks also to all the suggestions on how to make the tear gas APC look good. I'm thinking of going with trying to make two small gas tanks and strapping them on the back of the existing APC.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

posted image

Some early work on the Tear gas APC. This is the Red Alert APC fused with the Mine layer's dozer blade. I do agree that having some gas tanks will help it be more distinct.

The Tank Hunter icon is also new--I wanted it to look less like the Light Tank now that the Light Tank's back in the game.

Ignore the radar logo, it's cut content that might come later :)

EDIT: Could somebody let me know what is the best ddraw to try? I've been having massive issues with videos and I'm wondering if it's my old ddraw version (circa 2012)

Edited by Kilkakon
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

To celebrate the cringe EA mobile C&C game I've finished off the Tear Gas APC. Sorry for a slow month, work took a lot out of me.

posted image

posted image

posted image

I would love some feedback on this one. I did the turret by hand and I feel it is like... 95% right? The rotations aren't really perfect but it's probably good enough, I would just like some confirmation :D

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kilkakon said:

To celebrate the cringe EA mobile C&C game I've finished off the Tear Gas APC. Sorry for a slow month, work took a lot out of me.

posted image

posted image

posted image

I would love some feedback on this one. I did the turret by hand and I feel it is like... 95% right? The rotations aren't really perfect but it's probably good enough, I would just like some confirmation :D

Literally came to forum to post about EA's new C&C title... at least we have you, Kilk, to fill all our C&C needs xD

It looks really cool. Simple design that borrows from a few other cnc vehicles.
The turret is locked, yeah? You could try doing a little shading under the barrel to give it a little more 3D effect. It does look like quite a bright turret, maybe a little cartoon like.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the feedback White. :cncsmirk:

Yes the turret's locked. Currently that gold colour's being used for all the tear gas stuff--both the handheld thrower weapon that the infantry have and the turret here. Maybe the barrel could be another colour, I'm just concerned about contrast as Japan's the owner of the vehicle. I originally tried a black barrel but it got lost in the dozer blade.

The shadow's a nice idea though!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Kilkakon said:

Thanks for the feedback White. :cncsmirk:

Yes the turret's locked. Currently that gold colour's being used for all the tear gas stuff--both the handheld thrower weapon that the infantry have and the turret here. Maybe the barrel could be another colour, I'm just concerned about contrast as Japan's the owner of the vehicle. I originally tried a black barrel but it got lost in the dozer blade.

The shadow's a nice idea though!

I'd agree with White; I think it needs shadow - so it pop's out a bit more, Perhaps a grey-blue barrel with shadow. (look at the GDI mammoth tank turret barrels for example)

I guess the barrel could also be made shorter or thinner as it's a short range weapon.

Overall I like the unit though.

 

On another note: What an absolute abomination that EA game is... Makes the cancelled Generals 2 or Chinese rip-off game look great in comparison. 😢

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Similar Content

    • By Nyerguds
      With Kamuix writing a guide on inserting maps into the N64 version, I got busy looking into how it would be possible to more-or-less automatically generate height maps of C&C maps, so inserted maps actually look good in N64.
      It took me a couple of tries, but finally I managed to create a set of tools to convert maps to height maps. All of these are contained inside the CnC64 File Converter. (v1.0.3 or higher)
       
      The basics:
      C&C terrain is not three-dimensional, but gives an illusion of 3D with the images on the cliffs. However, this illusion falls flat (literally) in a real 3D environment. To remedy this problem, they added greyscale images to the missions in N64 that indicate the elevation of the terrain (brighter = higher). So if you want to import maps into an N64 ROM and have them actually look good, they are going to need a height map too.
      Elevation is not done per cell, but on the four corners of each cell. Because of this, the height map images have a size of 65x65, whereas C&C maps are only 64x64 cells. However, the converter takes care of that automatically, so we'll just focus on making a 64x64 height map.
      The basic steps to make an image using the CnC64 File Converter:
      Open a map file, and convert it to a basic terrain levels image. This image will contain only the cliffs of the map. Save the terrain levels image and edit it in an image editor, and fill areas surrounded by cliffs with the colour for that level. If multiple levels are needed, use the brighter colors in the image's palette. There are 4 elevation levels that can be used. Open the map in the File Converter again, and generate the height map, using the terrain levels image you created. Convert the final image to 65x65 height map, and save it as paletteless N64 IMG format. The detailed steps:
       
      1. Convert a map to a basic levels image:
      Open the map you want to make a height map for. The process works best if there's a .ini file with it that tells the program which theater the map is, and how big the actual used area on the map is. The ini file itself will not be accepted by the program, so open either the .bin file, or the already-converted .map for the N64.
      Open the "Convert" menu, go to "Height map generation", and select "To basic levels image (from map)". This option will only work if you have a map loaded.

      You will end up with an image which has a dark gray background, and only the cliffs on it, in a slightly brighter gray. Note that this is a paletted image with five colours; even if the image is later saved as high-colour, it will be matched back to these five colours to be interpreted as height levels.

      As you see, the image has some modifications compared to the original; the conversion takes the last terrain types encountered at the edges of the actually used portion of the map, and stretches them to the full frame. This is done so cliffs placed outside a map's border to control reinforcements would not influence the height map.
      Note that the image is not saved yet at this point, so press Ctrl+S and save it to disk.
       
      2. Create the height levels image:
      Now the real work. Open the saved image file in your favourite image editor, and connect the cliffs to form closed areas. To do this correctly, open the map itself in a map editor so you can see the directions of the cliffs, and see what kind of elevation each area should have. Here's my process in a few steps:

      It doesn't matter if the image is saved in high colours, but as noted before, the converter will match it back to the five colours in the original image's palette, so there's no use in making detailed slopes in this. Its only function is to separate the terrain into levels.
      For the record, the grey tints used for the five levels are:
      #000000 (R=0, G=0, B=0) : Pure black. Shouldn't be used, since water creates a slight depression into terrain, and you can't do that on the lowest level. #404040 (R=64, G=64, B=64) : Basic terrain. This will be the starting level on the image, and should be seen as lowest level you can use. #808080 (R=128, G=128, B=128) : Cliffs elevation #1 #C0C0C0 (R=192, G=192, B=192) : Cliffs elevation #2 #FFFFFF (R=255, G=255, B=255) : Cliffs elevation #3. Note that this is the highest possible level, and no more terrain details can be put on top of this. Rivers should work, though, since they decrease the terrain. Anyway, with that done, we end up with our terrain levels image:

       
      3. Creating the actual (64x64) height map
      Now we got our levels image this is fairly simple. Once again, load the map into the converter program. Open the "Convert" menu, go to "Height map generation", and now select "To height map using levels (from map)".

      It will ask you to select the height levels image. Select the final product of our work from the previous step.
      Now the real magic happens. It will generate an image that adapts the terrain to the new heights, and if your cliffs match your levels image correctly, it will make sharp elevations for the cliffs and smooth slopes for the openings where the level decreases on non-cliff terrain. Furthermore, the height of rivers and other water will be applied on each specific level.

      Once this step is done, feel free to save the image if you want to add some more specific tweaks to it, or fix any errors the generator might have made. If you think the map is good enough, though, you can continue straight to the next step.
       
      4. Converting the height map to the final format
      So we got a 64x64 height map image now, loaded into the converter. The N64 game not only needs the image to be 65x65, but also needs it saved in the specific paletteless IMG format.
      First things first: go to "Convert", "Height map generation", and select the final option: "To 65x65 height map image (from image)". As you see, this is the only option in there that doesn't use a C&C map as input but an image.

      Select it, and the 64x64 data will be centered in a 65x65 frame, creating smoother edges everywhere.

      Starting from v1.04, the image in the editor will automatically identify itself as paletteless N64 image, so all you need to do is press Ctrl+S to save it in the correct format.
      ...and that's it! You have your height map, ready to insert into the ROM. The name format the game looks for is exactly the same as for the .ini and the .bin, just with .img as file extension.
    • By Nyerguds
      Over at TiberiumWeb, Lin Kuei Ominae has been doing some very interesting experiments with triggers, and has come up with some neat ways to do stuff like making an AI-owned MCV move to a spot and deploy there, making reinforcements arrive on the Nod airstrip, and making a trigger to give a player money. I suggest you check it out
      http://www.tiberiumweb.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3743
      Mind my replies though; Lin Kuei did make a couple of mistakes
    • By sgtmyers88
      EDIT: The new mod profile is live!
       
      So long time no chat. lol 😀 Since finally completing the story campaigns for Tiberian Dawn Redux a couple years ago I have been repeatedly approached about carrying the mod over into the RA universe with a spinoff. While it's still in the very early stages of development, Red Alert Redux is slowly being brought to life. I haven't decided if it will be a mini-mod type add-on built into TDR (think GDI/Nod vs. Allies/Soviets in skirmish) or a standalone project built off of the renovated C&C Generals SAGE engine TDR is now using. I know a lot of the assets and coding between the original TD and RA games is nearly the same so it would streamline development quite a bit. (looking into the original game files I noticed a lot of the art and audio assets are using the same filenames to confirm this) The biggest hurdles I have will be making a decent naval system, designing, coding, and animating attack dogs and then the Chronosphere stuff. I may also (as I did with TDR) consolidate the unit and structure tech tree and add unit upgrades and special abilities. (e.g. Engineers doubled as Mechanics and APC's doubled as Medics) So who wants Red Alert Redux? And I will say it will not be a 1:1 remake. As I did with TDR I aim to keep as much of the original wacky tech and atmosphere Westwood developed for TD and RA but also have a more realistic spin on it in both appearance and gameplay. I have been considering consulting with the former Cold War Crisis Mod Team and the guys behind Red Alert: A Path Beyond.
       
       
       



    • By Lemon_sock
      Hello,
      First time using cncnet, I keep getting kicked whenever I join a game in the lobby but don't understand why. Sometimes I get a message saying no connection or problem with connection from one of the players. Or ping will come up with my name as NA. When I join a game in the lobby there's usually no green "I'm ready" button in the bottom left, it's only there if I try host a game (but then when I click it says waiting to connect, please try again in a few seconds or something).
      Can anyone advise, or help troubleshoot? I'm guessing there's a connection issue my end but dont know how to diagnose.
      (I have managed somehow to play two online games, no idea why it worked then but not most of the time).
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...