TS players feedback after one year of TS support

Iran

So TS has been suppported for about one year. I don't hear that much feedback on the forums (aside from questions about ladder and clans).

How are you guys doing? What is missing? How has the experience been? Are people having Windows 8 issues (ts-ddraw should fix most ofthem and make the game playable)? Any exploits/bugs/issues? How has the player growth been? Should there be a dedicated Tiberian Sun 'landing page' on the cncnet.org site? Grant is working on one for Yuri's Revenge and he pitched the idea of doing landing pages for every game. He owns the domain yurisrevenge.com (!) and is gonna set up a redirect to the cncnet.org landing page. We don't own any Tiberian Sun related domain names (though ehy owns redalert1.com and promotes CnCnet 5 with his Red Alert 1 download, first google result if you search for 'red alert 1') so we can't do anything like that for Tiberian Sun.

We are adapting the custom CnCNet 5 client which Rampastring wrote for the Dawn of the Tiberium Age stand-alone TS mod to Yuri's Revenge for CnCnet 5 YR support. Might it be a good idea to switch to this client for TS too? It isn't that different from the current TS client (which FunkyFr3sh develops) but it'll allow me to personally maintain the code. I assume most parts of the code will be open-source too (though I kinda need to figure out how well that works with anti-cheat). If we switch to this new client for TS it'll allow me to focus on TS so FunkyFr3sh has a lower workload. There's a bunch of stuff in the client I want to do differently and some features I'd liek to add (like large map previews, game mode support, more match options, support for dedicated chat channels and account registration so people can't steal your name and clans support). But in the end it would be pretty similar to FunkyFr3sh's client. Everyone will have to download the new client though.

If people could help promote CnCnet that would be great...we're looking for people who want to upload CnCNet TS matches to YouTube or live stream them. Just spreading the word (forum signatures and banners etc) help A LOT too.

Would there be interest in support for quickmatch? How could we make CnCNet 5 TS more popular? Should we arrange events? We have some donation money we could dedicate towards promotion or prizes. I'd definitely would like to see more community involvement.

Grant has been working on the website and forum theme...and he's started working on promoting CnCNet on social media sites and working on the official CnCnet YouTube channel, Livestreaming site, Facebok, twitter etc. He could people helping him and people who are interested in promoting things.

Sean3z has been working on the ladder and he's close to start testing data sent to his ladder server in the background, there is a lot of verifying of this data to be done (and it'ss different data for different games so) it can take a bit before we got a well functioning ladder running. But on the bright side once that's done we got the whole registered game account system running too (because it's required for ladder support) and we can also do auto-ss (like on XWIS but using a different method so WITHOUT THE CRASHES AND OTHER ISSUES), and some other anti-cheat related data that we'll keep secret. Once game accounts are supported clans will be too.

The large (stand-alone) TS mods like Twisted Insurrection and Dawn of the TIberium Age have been using Rampastring's client for CnCNet 5, meaning those pretty popular mods will be populated with new players who might also be interested in trying out other C&C games and mods like Tiberian Sun. Mental Omega 3.0 was released a year ago and it has about 50-80 players in the first few months, but it wasn't using CnCNet 5....so the players disappeared quickly. The Mental Omega team is waiting for us to release a client which supports Yuri's Revenge and then they''ll start transitioning to CnCNet 5 too...which will give CnCNet 5 more players and thus more people who are interested in trying out TS and people who know about and have experience with CnCNet 5 and can thus recommend it to people who want to play Tiberian Sun online. Mental Omega 3.0 has been downloaded more than 100,000 times now after one year. Which is a lot. Their mod launcher has a 'CnCNet' button and promotes CnCNet support quite prominently.

FunkyFr3sh started a Dune 2000 patch a few months ago and added CnCNet 5 support for the game. It still needs work to add extra features like selectable spawn locations and alliances support plus a few issues need to be fixed like a desync with airstrikes when players use high reso mode. Not very interesting to TS players but it spreads awareness of CnCNet 5 so it benefits TS players indirectly.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mechacaseal

So TS has been suppported for about one year. I don't hear that much feedback on the forums (aside from questions about ladder and clans).

So far they have been doing an excellent job I think they even fixed the aircraft spawning off the map on terrace but im not sure. Seems like it from the matches I've played lately. As of now the game is working great besides tunnel training train being bugged and running itself over.

How are you guys doing? What is missing? How has the experience been? Are people having Windows 8 issues (ts-ddraw should fix most ofthem and make the game playable)? Any exploits/bugs/issues? How has the player growth been? Should there be a dedicated Tiberian Sun 'landing page' on the cncnet.org site? Grant is working on one for Yuri's Revenge and he pitched the idea of doing landing pages for every game. He owns the domain yurisrevenge.com (!) and is gonna set up a redirect to the cncnet.org landing page. We don't own any Tiberian Sun related domain names (though ehy owns redalert1.com and promotes CnCnet 5 with his Red Alert 1 download, first google result if you search for 'red alert 1') so we can't do anything like that for Tiberian Sun.

I'm willing to give them the cncgamer.com domain which used to be the top tibsun website. tibsun.com is available.

If people could help promote CnCnet that would be great...we're looking for people who want to upload CnCNet TS matches to YouTube or live stream them. Just spreading the word (forum signatures and banners etc) help A LOT too.

Gotta admit I've not seen many people make TS commentaries usually only a few then they abandon it. I can't think of ANY big youtube channels who have made TS commentaries unless theyre playing the story mode then theres a ton. Kinda sad since to some of us TS has a ton of depth and strategy.

Would there be interest in support for quickmatch? How could we make CnCNet 5 TS more popular? Should we arrange events? We have some donation money we could dedicate towards promotion or prizes. I'd definitely would like to see more community involvement.

Honestly I think at this point just people in the community contributing to TS in some way would be the best way to help it. And by that I mean I think there should be a TS fan art section where people can make requests and such for graphics to use in ts related projects. For example imagine someone modeling a unit thats in ts and making a green screened video of it flying across the screen then someone who makes youtube videos could add such effects to their commentaries. I think a website showing off each ts unit and their abilities and overall strategies in the game would help immensely.

TS has long suffered a laser glitch when you scroll offscreen a nod laser firing it freezes and locks up the game

boot without banning  sometimes I would like to boot someone in my game lobby without banning them

see other open games while hosting when tabbed to 'main channel'

would it be possible to have the client record the game like warhammer dawn of war does

my guess is that it just records the inputs from the players and client recreates it.(very small file it makes)

and you can save them (those would be easiest to post and share) and play them back

this would work best as you could watch what is going on anywhere not just what the person recording is watching at the moment

----------  and if you thought someone cheated you could look at it after and know for sure  ----------

or see how they worked you, lol

I expect it would take a lot of the drama out of the playing experience

especially tournament/ladder games

You are doing great !!!

We are playing cnc.

We are so lucky !

A most sincere Thank You to all that have helped.

I for at least one am very very grateful, Thank you.

Amokk

Great post very informative. I believe the majority of the players that are actively playing TS are waiting for the ladder to increase the competitiveness.  When a ranking system is implemented (with clans), I believe the activity level of TS will increase dramatically. Every day we see more players playing the  game, this will only increase with more players. Quick Match is a good idea, but not without ranking. Lots of people will enter the game, only to see them allied to a newbie, and then quit. It's only natural as there are quite a lot of newbs out there. There is a small TS community of good players that continuously play together. If the game was ranked, they probably won't quit. The basis of TS, and most games for that matter, is based around rank. Increase the competitiveness, events, tournaments, ladders, prizes, etc. and more people will play the game and promote the game. 

Hello,

When I'm in the game lobby, if I swap to the main channel I'm unable to see what other games are active (started or not).

If this can be updated, it would be great.

Grassy Knoll should also be renamed 'The New Tezz'

I've heard good & bad things about Sean3z; I hope nothing shady comes from his involvement.

I'm looking forward to the tournament/rank system.

tiberian_sun_posing.JPG

If anyone is in any doubt, richrocka is Chris Freitag, aka the proven cheater with multiple accounts on this forum, and a well-known vendetta against Sean. Please don't let his post above detract from any dealings with Sean as he (Sean) is a great guy who has given up an awful lot of his time to help support this community.

I think the points about the laser and disruptor glitch crashing games is a good one. If this can be fixed that would be a major step forward.

Personally, I don't see the 'competitiveness' thing with ladders.  1v1s are 1v1s are 1v1s, and the ladder will only be dominated by the same 3 or 4 people time as they always have been. That is of course just my personal opinion :P

[P.S. Amokk, I didn't realise you played Dawn of War. You play DoW2 at all? -- I don't want to derail this thread so we can carry this on in PM if you like]

Our community has been revitalized thanks to your work with cncnet and giving us a well-done and supported server. There are a few small things that could be added (such as a kick button so that when people go afk in game rooms you dont have to remake the game if they return before another player joins), but everything so far has been satisfactory. Thanks and keep going :)

Our community has been revitalized thanks to your work with cncnet and giving us a well-done and supported server. There are a few small things that could be added (such as a kick button so that when people go afk in game rooms you dont have to remake the game if they return before another player joins), but everything so far has been satisfactory. Thanks and keep going :)

I added a /kick command, it works like this:

/kick c0rpsmakr

you can use the TAB key to automatically complete the nickname, so you only have to type the first letter of the name and press TAB

/kick c0rpsmakr

you can use the TAB key to automatically complete the nickname, so you only have to type the first letter of the name and press TAB

not working for me

/kick c0rpsmakr

not working for me

You must be in the game room and you must be the host, if it still doesnt work then type /reset

I love it!!! Thanks everyone for the hard work keeping TS alive.

The only thing I am not happy about is there is a bug where I am building men and they simply stop coming out of the barracks.

I am charged money and it says "unit ready" but no men...it may be in connection with using the CTRL+Click command (to force men to a point on the map straight from the barracks).

This doesn't happen every time, only sometimes.

that happened to me just once on con4  when i had barracks waypoint set and jj infs did not show

I just sent the next 50 into enemy fire to punish them all

never happened again

Oh btw idk if this is the same thing as amokk ^^ is sayin. But when  you way point infantry/disc from GDI Barracks it all goes fine till you make a jj. After that if u train/make infantry, your credits are used but the  Barracks doesn't pump any units out. Happens alot to me when Im GDI.

Anyone know a ig workaround?(other than "make a new barracks")

For Devs: can this bug be fixed in the future, ty.

I added filter options now, you can now finally remove all the unwanted ra players from the list via the settings :D Should be much easier to find the TS players you are looking for

there is also a friendlist now, it doesnt do much besides filtering users.

add friends with "/friends add yuz|MAN|" remove with "/friends remove yuz|MAN|" check "Hide all except friends" in settings. now u'll only see who you want in the lobby list.