How can we attract more players to Tiberian Sun?

Grant

Hey Tiberian Sun Players,

Finally finished the TS reference guide.

I really think this will help new players learn WAY faster.

It has ALOT of new information that Mole40k's guide didn't cover.

If you are brand new, start with his guide.       

It took three weeks of testing how many shots it takes to kill any unit/structure with ANY unit.

There are over 1500 combinations tested!

It also has build times, armor ratings, unit speeds, repairing, build tech options, sneaky pro tips, and MUCH MUCH MORE!!!

Here is the link:    >>>>>>>>>>        http://dillonmiles12345.wixsite.com/2016tiberiansunguide

Hope you guys like it!

-Kaizen

Wow, great job Kaizen. I'd like to contribute a bit to it. (should this be a wiki?).

Here is my contribution:

On the NOD vs GDI damage page, It would be good to note that an attack cycle kills a Disruptor just as good as a tick tank at a cheaper price. Early in the game a bike would be a better buy on some maps (forest fires and giants).

Harpies have 12 shots and can rip through smaller buildings with ease if your opponent doesn't have sams. It's a good way to low power your opponent after you eng his con-yard.

You noted that the Orca Bomber kills a deployed tick tank easier than an undeployed one and I also always noticed that an MK2 sucks versus a deployed tick tank. So I went and looked it up and created a matrix of Armor types vs Weapon types that how it all works.

Basically, a deployed tick tank has an armor type of concrete  and the orca bomber deals more damage to concrete than it does to tank armor (called heavy armor). More details in this attached spreadsheet. Feel free to add the info to your spreadsheet.

TS_Armor.xlsx.zip

You know those ads you see before watching a YouTube video? Well, one of those could be for TS.

YouTube -> Creator Studio -> Video Manager -> (drop down box next to promo vid) -> Promote. It does cost money (a few cents per click), but if it works, then it's money well spent. I'll contribute if I think the video will be effective.

You can also pay to advertise on other social media such as Facebook (Facebook -> (drop-down box next to padlock) -> Create Ads), but I think YouTube will be more effective. In saying that, maybe a promo vid for CnCNet instead might be better.

You know those ads you see before watching a YouTube video? Well, one of those could be for TS.

YouTube -> Creator Studio -> Video Manager -> (drop down box next to promo vid) -> Promote. It does cost money (a few cents per click), but if it works, then it's money well spent. I'll contribute if I think the video will be effective.

You can also pay to advertise on other social media such as Facebook (Facebook -> (drop-down box next to padlock) -> Create Ads), but I think YouTube will be more effective. In saying that, maybe a promo vid for CnCNet instead might be better.

This is PROMOTION not ATTRACTION

• 3 weeks later...

im going to share this game with my friends and my cusin (the 2 of us are in a RTS craze and he will like the news of a free old timey RTS game)

ps: im new here so it is a sing of a bright future for this comunity becose new people are joining! :peacethroughpower:

• 2 weeks later...

How do you attract new players to a game that is 15 years old when there are newer games with better graphics etc. Its a big ask! The only thing ts has over most of the more popular games is its free to play (I love ts btw).

I think you should start small by focusing on keeping hold of the existing community first. There has been a significant drop in activity recently. I noticed a spike when the 1v1 ladder was running so getting that back online would help. The problem with the 1v1 ladder though is that most of the tiberian sun community (mod and ww players) prefer the team games so bringing in a multiplayer ladder or 'clans' would be far more effective. Another suggestion is to introduce regular 1v1 and team play prize tournaments funded by charging entry fees (setup through paypal?). Once enough players have registered the tournament starts. These tournaments should be hosted at 20:00GMT (peak time) daily or weekly so everyone is clear on when to come online. The problem is how to decide the winner in the case of something going wrong e.g recon. The beta ladder often got these decisions wrong so it cant be left to the server unless improvements are made in the technical department. If you were able to implement something like this, Cncnet could collect a very small percentage of the prize which could go towards marketing & other good causes. There are many ways to go about this but you get the point.

My 2 cents.

• 1 month later...

I just made a longer post posted on the topic "CnCNet Leaderboard now live!" about what features I think would attract more older players to become active again. But I don´t know how to quote posts between different topics on this forum..

• 1 month later...

I've played TS on and off since I was 13, I played with a battleclan called STORMS from about 2000-2001. There were a number of different players I encountered, Roosjes, RankStorm and batfasted to name a few. The game comes and goes for me, but recently the love is starting to come back and it is staying. Interestingly enough, the strategies haven't changed much in 17 years.

I enjoy what you guys have done with the game, it works much cleaner now with no complicated setup like what was built into XWIS. We do need a ranking and tourney system. Perhaps we could:

- Build in a tourney system and players build a ranked or unranked game

- Players then receive a ranking which is shown when they join a lobby, like their other names and origin?

- Battleclan tourneys could come next I guess as an enhancement

The only challenge I have with the game is not the game or the development you have put into it, it's more the odd player who bans you from a game because they don't recognise your name or that you're "too noob 5 me m8 I r8 8 out of 8". I'll continue to play as long as I don't keep getting kicked from games.

ATB

Sim

• 3 weeks later...

the CnC games are still good, but the interface is very outdated and clunky

thats the main reason why noone plays these games and even newer games fail. is that they come with poor interface

Starcraft series are succesful cuz it has good interface, unit orders/commands

there should be an option to play the game with more starcraft style interface over the CnC panel and even hide it...

Ugh. No way. Right click commands are annoying enough as it is.

what right click command lol? i wasnt speaking about making the game right clicky anyway

btw u hardly need to do right clicks in SC...i use left click 90% of the time.

Ugh. No way. Right click commands are annoying enough as it is.

what right click command lol? i wasnt speaking about making the game right clicky anyway

btw u hardly need to do right clicks in SC...i use left click 90% of the time.

What, exactly, are the commands you want?

Yeah, I was playing here for like a month before someone with a pakastany type name, was like azorazoria or something told me about right click speed scrolling.

"You don't know until you know and before you know your dumb... everyone's dumb"

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, I was playing here for like a month before someone with a pakastany type name, was like azorazoria or something told me about right click speed scrolling.

"You don't know until you know and before you know your dumb... everyone's dumb"

LMFAO LMFAO LMFAO

AzorAhai AKA XmeXyou AKA the dude that fixed plethora of glitches in this game AKA the BOO BOO

AzorAhai is a Game of Thrones term

LMFAO @ 'pakastani type name'

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for hosting CnC and TS games I'm old school from back in 1999-2003 this game is

great on strategy and skill the graphics are very dated now but so are all the older games.

I hoped westwood and EA had turned out a similar game or newer version but every new CnC

game has had a new tech style and tactics none have been close to TS.

One thing I can say about playing this game it tends to bring out the worst in people at times

when dealing with new players. The good/experienced players tend to rush the newbs killing off

their desire or chance to get into the game. I've seen a lot of people come and go on TS because

of this. We need to play nice with the new guys and allow them time to get better if you get your

ass handed to you in the first 5 mins every game that's not fun.

I used to have a clan that was good size I had to expand it to a 2nd clan to make room for more

so I know little about some of the issues and what works and doesn't.

The tournaments tend to be more divisive for some people but who knows maybe that's a good ideal. I will try to bring back some people and if I can and ad new players as well.

Battlized

I changed my mind CnC is full of assholes fuck all of you! ill never spend a dollar here ever!

Edited by Battlized
u guys suck

• 1 month later...

Clans would certainly bring back lots of players as we all miss team games,

These days you put yourself with mates and its stacking teams even though the other team have a good selection but when it was clans nobody worried about names so long as they had the clan tag showing, But i do feel its important CnC don't make the same mistake Xwis did and let people be in 10 different clans as all they did there was push different top clans each month.

Cnc have done well keeping up with the change over from windows 7 to 10 and although there can be more improvements which i won't go into as i don't want to turn this into a debate, You lot have done really well to keep tiberian sun afloat and we are trying to bring in more members using Facebook but the same questions keep popping up Clans & Ladders.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

one way to attract players and keep them here on the game is an active working ladder and also clan ladder, it brings a different competition to the game. also tournaments. do them monthly or something... can do 2 of them one for ww players and one for modders. so them you get the most out of it people wise and stuff aswell. just my 2 cents. no competitiveness peope will get bored and quit i feel.... just my thoughts tho

• Upvote 1