Let's Play Command & Conquer: Tiberian Dawn Redux

TaxOwlbear

You won't have a selection screen like the original but the end sequence is already done. It will appear to load as another mission map after you reach the score screen and click continue but if you want a sneak peek you can download the updated video package on moddb as it is already included and viewable if you go thru the files.

The NOD13 AI is almost finished. I actually programmed two separate AI players to represent the two GDI bases on the map so you will basically be playing against two Hard GDI armies in skirmish with a few extra surprises. It might be a bit overwhelming as I have yet to play all the way through. The map still needs some finishing touches and some debugging made to the scripts and environment. Also due to the AI lag that needed to be resolved the map has received similar edits as to how the N64 missions were done by bridging the two separate areas of the map. Believe it or not, due to the way the AI pathfinding was designed in ZH if an AI unit cannot figure out that it cannot pass across an area, it will get "stuck" and the notorious lag ensues and it gets progressively worse as additional units begin to stack and do the same thing. I figured this out when I bombed the offending units and the lag instantly cleared up.

• 2 weeks later...

The Sergeant is working alone on the mod, but the mod has made some good progress in the past year, so it's hopefully going to be finished in a couple months. :)

Thank you very much :)

A suggestion, campaign maps are incredibly awesome, especially the Africans, but also the Europeans. Can the Sergeant put a couple of these into the skirmish mode?

I gotta do a few more minor edits and tests to Nod 13 as I have been busy and didn't get a chance to touch it over the past few days. However the Skirmish conversion idea wouldn't be too difficult for a couple of the maps.

Thanks a lot. Skirmish maps are too simple and your work with campaign maps is brutal. They are loaded with detail regarding the original. I'm boring to play as GDI always in Europe or NOD always in Africa :D. That's why I suggest these maps to skirmish mode, and no only to campaign mode.

I love this mod :)

• 2 weeks later...

Here is Nod 13 along with the updated campaign.ini file. If I programmed the AI properly, GDI is gonna be quite brutal in this. Note I haven't had a chance to do a complete playthrough so bugs and scripting issues are to be expected.

Thanks a lot.

How can I install it? I tried to copy and paste all files to Zero's Hour directory, but when I finish NOD12 (savegame) NOD13 doesn't begin.

You did extract the files into the main game directory and not the one in the (user data) documents folder right? lol

The Map itself should be copied into Zero Hour/Maps (you might have to create the Maps folder if you do not have one)

Campaign.ini should be copied into Zero Hour/Data/INI

If you downloaded and installed the campaign videos off of the moddb profile and set the game to WinXPSP2 Compatibility mode the campign videos and end sequence should work.

@TaxOwlBear since I know you included the original game cinematics in your playthrough videos I dunno if you wanna include the end sequence as a part of this mission playthrough video or leave it out as a separate video. The Mod actually loads the end cinematic as an unplayable Mission 14 which will load once you complete this mission. It was a hack I did to make the end cinematic work as intended.

I gotta do a few more minor edits and tests to Nod 13 as I have been busy and didn't get a chance to touch it over the past few days. However the Skirmish conversion idea wouldn't be too difficult for a couple of the maps.

Thanks a lot. Skirmish maps are too simple and your work with campaign maps is brutal. They are loaded with detail regarding the original. I'm boring to play as GDI always in Europe or NOD always in Africa :D. That's why I suggest these maps to skirmish mode, and no only to campaign mode.

I love this mod :)

Also forgot to mention, there is a SPECOPS campaign to play as well if you haven't tried it, but it too is unfinished as I got a couple more missions planned for it.

Also dont forget to download the hotfix update to Nod 13 above.

I finished the mission yesterday. A couple of things:

1. The Eastern AI lines up its units on the river between its base and the player starting location, which causes frame drops. This can be fixed by building Obelisks there which zap all those units.

2. I have access to a lot of tech, including Chem Warriors, Nod Launchers, Armour Upgrade tec. Is that WAD?

3. The Nuke is very powerful. Both bases can be crippled with a Nuke, which makes the mission easier than in the original.

4. I have access to the Temple of Nod immediately without getting the XP upgrade.

5. The Eastern AI had trouble rebuilding some stuff e.g. one of its AGTs got stuck at 40%. Could be a random glitch.

6. The Eastern AI didn't use its on-map Warhogs much.

Maybe there should be a second bridge in the East? Yes, it changes the map even more, but it would also make it more challenging because then the player has to defend two fronts.

I have addressed said issues. And yes minus a couple minor items you are intended to have access to the full tech tree in this mission.

I have the revised mission map and .ini files here based on your suggestions. Feel free to replay it. It might be better to your liking. I also think with the edits it will be much more interesting to use for your gameplay video.

EDIT: Yes the GDI AI is much better now and framerate performance is improved. GDI also managed to do a massive two pronged attack on me and put up a really good fight at one point. The on map Warthogs also do more than sit on the airfields looking pretty and Orca attacks are more numerous. GDI also decided to be a troll to wait and fire the Ion Cannon on my Tiberium Refinery destroying it along with my two harvesters who were waiting to dock.

Oh and is the end cinematic that loads after the score screen working ok?

Alright, I'll replay it. The video will probably be ready by Wednesday then. :)

Yes, the ending cinematic worked for me. I was wondering why the extra map was necessary, though - Generals does have an ending cinematic after the pre-rendered ending (dramatic music with the faction flag waving).

For some odd reason EA apparently disabled the function for Zero Hour as I have made several attempts in the code to re-enable the feature with no success. I have no idea why they went thru the trouble to do that when it worked fine for Generals.