Tiberian Dawn - Extended Operations *SEPTEMBER UPDATE*

After a long pause, I finally got around to uploading the 4 new new missions, as well as the finalized mission pack 2 missions. Download them and let me know what you think.

I made some changes to various missions but they've been so spread out I don't remember them all so I apologize for the half-assed change-log.

Something is wrong with the Powder Keg map.  It's impossible to play because the ion cannon strikes twice.

Tis is intentional. There are two Adv. Comm. Centers in the map, destroying one removes its respective ion cannon uplink. Also, they only fire every 250 time units. If this proves to be too difficult for other players to handle, then I will remove one.

It's very tough, even after I sealed up the captured base and try to build up my army of medium tanks, I need to keep building a weapons factory to prevent the double ion cannon from destroying the construction yard. Another way is to up the tech level so that the player can build advanced guard tower and mammoth tanks. Would the ion cannon hit the tower first? Really like playing your maps, very good!

Thanks Arkawa! The Ion Cannons wont target regular gaurd towers? Hmm... after 20 years I guess I never noticed, lol. Ok, I might take one cannon strike out then, I'd still like to hear other players feedback though. If you'd like, your more than welcome to dive into the .INI file and simply remove second Ion Trigger if you don't want to wait for me to do it. I don't mind if people tailor my missions to their liking  :D.

Hmm... target priority... I should look into that. It's a value we found in Dune II, but I honestly have no idea if C&C1 has it, or if it uses other factors (like cost?) to determine that...

What I do know is that C&C never targets superweapons at units. Only at buildings.

(Classic AI airstrike is different of course, since it just reinforces units instead of using that superweapon targeting logic)

I might throw together a test to determine the super weapon targeting priority of each building. I know that when playing as Nod, the Ion Cannon targets Obelisks first, then Sam Sites, then if neither of those are in play, they move on to air strip and refineries depending on which was built first (that last part is a hypothesis). If playing as GDI, the AI nukes Advanced Guard Towers first, and the weapons factory second. Beyond that is yet to be determined. I'll post my findings though.

Well, as far as I can see, there's only one unknown value (Unknown13) in the structure data that could possibly qualify, and... it doesn't seem quite right. I sorted the structures on that value in descending order here:

[iD] CODE = U13 ; full name

[01] EYE  = 100 ; Advanced Communications Center
[02] WEAP =  86 ; Weapons Factory
[13] AFLD =  86 ; Airfield
[15] NUK2 =  75 ; Advanced Power Plant
[07] FACT =  70 ; Construction Yard
[10] HPAD =  65 ; Helipad
[19] HAND =  61 ; Hand of Nod
[18] PYLE =  60 ; Barracks
[08] PROC =  55 ; Tiberium  Refinery
[14] NUKE =  50 ; Power Plant
[21] FIX  =  46 ; Repair Facility
[12] SAM  =  40 ; SAM Site
[05] OBLI =  35 ; Obelisk of Light
[04] ATWR =  30 ; Advanced Guard Tower
[06] GUN  =  26 ; Gun Turret
[03] GTWR =  25 ; Guard Tower
[00] TMPL =  20 ; Temple of Nod
[11] HQ   =  20 ; Communications Center
[16] HOSP =  20 ; Hospital
[09] SILO =  16 ; Tiberium Silo
(after this are all civvie buildings and the tech center with value 2, the bio lab and oil pump with value 1, and the walls with value 0)

hmmm... interesting it doesn't target regular towers first as it definitely seems to prioritize any static defenses-- and most recently built.  Guess I never experimented with Ion vs. GDI. Heh, I've noticed that's also the downside of the "smart" airstrike is that at high enough tech levels, you could potentially have 3+ enemy A-10s eviscerating your con-yard if your not into building defensive structures like me....  Well good enough opportunity to bust this old GIF out:

hc00tOp.gif

After a long pause, I finally got around to uploading the 4 new new missions, as well as the finalized mission pack 2 missions. Download them and let me know what you think.

I made some changes to various missions but they've been so spread out I don't remember them all so I apologize for the half-assed change-log.

Hi DarkStar,

I'm trying to update your missions. So, it seems your pack 01 and pack 02 are altogether with the new 4 missions in pack03. Is that correct?

If that's the case, still you could put a readme.txt or alike in your ZIP file explaining this, to make clear how you see your collection. There is probably a reason why you call them pack01, 02 and 03, right?

Completed all of your maps except for On Hostile Shores.  Even after I managed to get the MCV, I can't build it up fast enough to defend the incoming enemy.

Wow, all 40+? You might be the first one! Or at least the first one to say it. On Hostile Shores is a tough one, I myself struggled with it and I knew exactly how it was programmed.

Being the first person to beat the Extended Ops pack, what are your thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

You really did a fantastic work creating these maps, very meaningful and creative. They are designed in high quality and are much, much more challenging than covert ops. Hope the game companies take note of your map design skills if they ever recruit! (Are you from Westwood btw? :D)

Am I from Westwood? Not likely ;) If i did, there's no way I would have let them sell the franchise to EA :ranting:. I was actually 5 when this game came out, my dad and I played it every weekend. Classic lines like "I got a present for ya" and "Nuclear Warhead Approaching" became burned into memory as we waged war every Saturday night on a couple of old Toshiba computers at his office. He'd sneak me in on the weekends because his office was home to the only computers on the same LAN... fond memories. I remember my first engineer rush, and how frustrated my brothers would get when I'd sell their construction yard. I remember the time dad stole my flag in a game of CTF using a stealth tank... 7 year old me thought he was cheating. This game was ingrained into my childhood as if it were my first bicycle.

I didn't start making missions until I was about 24. I was late to the game, I didn't even know this community existed. I had spent years tirelessly searching for a way to create my own missions... until one fateful day I found an early version of CCMAP on some long-gone website and instantly dove right in, experimenting and churning out half-baked missions with only a limited knowledge of the game's workings. The first missions I made were rough... none of them are around today. But the years of refinement and research laid the foundation for the pack you're all playing now. "The Scorpions Sting" is actually the only relic I kept from my early days of mission making... albeit an "updated" relic.

Luckily, about a year ago, I accidentally stumbled onto a home-brew C&C development page whilst searching for a First Decade patch. The webpage belonged to none other than Nyerguds himself. I had no idea who he was or what the hell his name meant, but I was fascinated by what he had managed to accomplish with the game. I instantly downloaded all of his patches and called my dad up to tell him about this Scandinavian who was keeping the game alive two decades later. After hopping from forum to forum looking for an active C&C community, the road finally led me here. It was my online pursuit of Nyer that led me to this community.

After reading most of the stickied forum topics, I dropped the antiquated CCMAP for the highly capable XCC editor and began relentlessly studying Matt's video tutorials. Using their findings to supplement my own, I began revamping old missions and started churning out new ones. The ones that made the cut were sent to my dad, who (completely oblivious to the idea of user-made missions) had patiently waited an entire decade to replay the only video game he ever fell in love with. For a while, I only made missions for my dad and myself to play. Seeing his excitement every time i dropped a new mission was worth the hours it took to craft them. After a while, it inspired me to share them with the world. After quietly observing the forum and seeing hopeful signs of activity, I took a leap and posted the first few bits of the mission pack here. Several months of testing, research and feedback finally culminated in the mission pack you have before you.

and that, ladies and gents, is the origin story.

I'm glad you like them Arkawa! I will certainly keep em coming so long as you guys enjoy playing them.  :heady:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Darkstar, thanks a lot!

Command & Conquer: Tiberium Dawn is my absolute favorite C&C Game. Me and my brother got it for Christmas 1995, then I was in love. I have a huge passion for the game. I try every Christmas to play the game a bit to get back to my childhood days. The music and everything is just amazing in this game. I love the -90s military style, Ion canon is the limit for spacey things. The new modern all "robot-laser" style gets boring. I like machine gunners and guard towers shooing manual rounds :).

The quality of those missions are just great, many of them are much better than the Cover Ops missions. I just played the mission Besieged and it was very difficult and fun. I love base building missions. The dynamics of this one was just great. Impressive programming of these missions.

Thanks for keeping this old goodie alive! I have more missions to play and enjoy.

My dream is one day to put a team together and make a real Command & Conquer: Tiberian Dawn follow up with the same atmosphere that the first game provided. Together with some of the veterans from Westwood and with classic new gameplay videos with Kane, the voice of EVA and it all would be great!

Thanks to all of the community and this forum!

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Darkstar387 said:

Okay everybody, 6 new missions have been added. Get at them and fight the good fight.

Just a heads up, the last 5 Nod missions are misnumbered in the OP.  It says they're SCB121-125EA, but they're actually SCB221-225EA in the zip file.

• Upvote 2