Tiberian Sun 1v1 Tournament with Cash prizes.

dkeeton

my only concern about this particular tournament was the timing issues. first of all its really hard to get everyone on at the same time when we are all over the world. however the rules were set out and i quote verbatim. checkin will begin at 6pm and games will begin at 615pm to 630pm.  well as i read that check in was at 6 and all those signed up would be able to play. at 615. to 630. well xme and humble yall  allowed the sign ups to continue til past 730 i think mostly because you were upset ray didnt get on board til an hour later lol. you had 16 people ready to play, those that made it on time, and it kept changing exponentially for an hour and a half, adding brackets, adding people.

Games began right around 7, which is not very much behind schedule.  Even if your games began at 6:00 PM on the dot, you signed up and would have only been able to play 1-2 games anyway, so why would we rush things just for you to have to drop out anyways.  Given you had discussion right here in these forums estimating how long games average, you honestly should have known better than to think you were going to get your games done in a the very short window you had, not to mention if you were in a long game when the 'netflix craze' began, it would of wasted whoever's time you were playing with.

The goal was for everyone to be online during the same window, which is why we were playing FF games for hours with no delay right after the event.  Obviously, this is not a perfect system, but we are doing the best we can with what we have to work with.

Ray is not the only one, there were several players trying their best to make it on time, but just a little behind due to their schedules.  Even Cambria was a little behind, who is one of the main people helping us organize this.

i set aside time to play at a little after 6, and because of all the changes i didnt get to my game til 8pm and by that time it was too late, i had my family back home, and others on internet that lagged me, so i had to drop out. which was a shame. i wouldnt have minded ollie, ray, etc playing vs me, hell id have played them the first round, but they werent on time, they came an hour later, then an hour and a half later than what i read for the sign ups, so did many other people. i cant sit around all day as the rules bend and change. next time it needs to be whoever makes it on time, thats it. because 16 people did, we were ready to go. yall nearly lost destroy3r and tigerr (k4yok3n) too because of the time it took to actually get going and all the time bending and late sign ups

Actually, both destroy3r and Tigerr were very understanding and both wanted us to wait to get the most skill entered in the tourney as possible.  One thing is for sure, this went a lot more smooth than many tourneys in the past have.  The timezone issues you mention are exactly why we were some-what reasonable with people like Ray that were just a little late getting online.  The fact that both of these players stayed on for hours after the event playing Forest Fires games with us says enough on this I think.

they need to get the ladder back on, or figure out some sort of way to just play games as time permits - its too difficult with so many time zones, and now we are all older, and have certain times only to get on. for instance i couldnt play in the end, c0rps cant cuz he works saturdays etc.

This is someone very many of us have repeatedly been saying, and we are obviously waiting on CNCNET staff to finish some things up on their end.  Trust me, we are all looking forward to this.

i also think a sign up fee is a bad idea so early in figuring this shit out ...and getting it working properly.

That is exactly why we choose not to require a sign-up fee for now, but as others have mentioned it could have very many perks once established correctly, especially if others can donate to each other's signup-costs.

ty to xme and humble though for the tremendous efforts

It is our pleasure, and all we want out of this is to boost activity and hopefully bring back some old players.  Honestly though, some more patience and understanding, or even positive suggestions are what we need.

Special thanks to Michael and Cambria for helping Xme and I so much with speculating games and organizing everything.

Special thanks to everyone who played / is playing in this event, without you guys this couldn't happen!

id also suggest never playing a tournie on throwback if its 2v2, thats a god awful 2v2 map, its like bbg but in a ww aesthetic --- you need to do like terrace, or grand canyon, even forest fires, etc.  lol. i dont even know what the pit is. area 51 ive only played once or twice i think that was sebs map? could be ok? river runs needs to fix the glitches first. harvs will stop all the time top right. etc

Well I'm obviously biased since it is my map and all, but there is a reason c0rpsmakr, demise, kapa, avan, and tons other elite players actually like the map.  Saying it is like BBG... maybe if you play it in Firestorm mode, otherwise the money is very similar to Terraces, just more balanced.  Honestly, anyone good on Terraces should be equally good on Throwback.

The fact you don't even know what The Pit is makes me think you might need to broaden your horizon and get out of your box a little more, lol.  Awesome 2v2 map, also made by Seb like Area 51 is.

I have had several discussions with you about fixing the cliff glitches in River Runs and other maps, and every single time you tell me I am wasting my time and it is worthless to fix 'cliff glitches'.  Actually, you and Tabrnacle are the only two players that seem to think this.

But anyways, yes I have already fixed the glitches in 'A River Runs Near It' that cause harvs and other ground units to stop (pathfinding issues due to broken cliffs).  This is why I'm always playing WW maps that say "Cliff Fix" and what-not.

Humble please do a proper fix for Forest Fires; br and rm spot as well as more balanced tib, I also think bm and br should get 4-8 boxes of blue tib, imho. Also expo for rm in FF is  lil harder than lm, wont you say? However rm does get blue tib. Also some changes to tm also would be nice.

And also these edits that you have done for instance the Terrace fix and river runs revised, should be added to installer as 'Standards' replacing the stock glitchy version of those maps. Sorry off topic :)

john i love you, youre one of my best ts mates historically . one of the few i have on fb that can view my personal life... but yall def bent the rules this time. and if one had to speculate it would be for ray and carnage joining because you wanted to have a better tournie. which i i agree with. and i dont mind playing them...but if i had to guess thats why rules were bent. i set aside time to play at 6pm est, i even changed my work schedule. family left home for internet purposes and you guys started wayyyyyy late. i attempted to play jimmywippet at near 8pm....

i love you but abide by your own rules.

john i love you, youre one of my best ts mates historically . one of the few i have on fb that can view my personal life... but yall def bent the rules this time. and if one had to speculate it would be for ray and carnage joining because you wanted to have a better tournie. which i i agree with. and i dont mind playing them...but if i had to guess thats why rules were bent. i set aside time to play at 6pm est, i even changed my work schedule. family left home for internet purposes and you guys started wayyyyyy late. i attempted to play jimmywippet at near 8pm....

i love you but abide by your own rules.

You obviously were not planning for this event properly if you can't play a game 1-2 hours after the event is supposed to begin.  Even if we started late, the original plan was to have a 4-6 hour window of games for the 11th, and a similar window for games on the 18th.  What if we had even more people sign up and games went until 10 PM...

i dont give a  shit what anyone says bout throwback btw. that map is a bbg ripoff with ww aesthetics. ive played it. you can play it like bbg

You can say what you like, but the starting money is either the exact same as BL on Terraces, or as BR on Terraces.  The main expand patch is almost the exact same distance from your MCV as the expands on Terraces, and are also copies of tib patches from Terraces.  Even if you bunked without expanding and used the backup tib in BM/TM or ML/MR, your opponent would quickly get to middle having a huge advantage over you.  You can disagree all you want, but the fact of the matter is it is not possible to play Throwback like you would BBG, that is like saying you can play BL on Terraces like BBG.  The money and entrances are completely un-like BBG.

Not liking Throwback is your right, but saying you can play it like BBG is a joke.

Actually Trz, it is worthless for us to even argue over tourney imperfection issues, since as of the end of the tourney Sat. night, we made it extremely clear to you that you still had a seat in the tourney, and were scheduled to play vs. SexPro on the 18th, but you were very clear to us that you would not be able to make it.

So, why make such a big fuss over something that you know damn well you couldn't participate in anyways???

2016-06-16_15-47.jpg.614efabe18ffd745b141a3fbd8f55741.jpg

2016-06-16_15-46.jpg.3dd6cd67a5b50024c625853cf09a84b0.jpg

id also suggest never playing a tournie on throwback if its 2v2, thats a god awful 2v2 map, its like bbg but in a ww aesthetic --- you need to do like terrace, or grand canyon, even forest fires, etc.  lol. i dont even know what the pit is. area 51 ive only played once or twice i think that was sebs map? could be ok? river runs needs to fix the glitches first. harvs will stop all the time top right. etc

That was an outrages statement since there is nothing even similar between the excellent map throwback and any mod map. XD It is Terrace style and got potential for great long games, you on terrace when game goes very long and if there have not been any decisive blows dealt the game dies of allot when all tibfields are empty.  On throwback there are more centralized placed tib patches to battle over. Also throwback is way more balanced in 1vs1 games. on Terrace  in 1vs1 you have to play best of 5 or 7 games to give it an equal enough playing field since the top and bottom spots differ alot regarding the eco. I have unfortunately not been on since last year but I come on I look forward to play allot more of that map.

Area 51 map is amazing for 3vs3 long games and fun interesting features in the landscape giving it allot of potential for creative game play. It is a beautiful map with allot of mysterious sh*t going on like Alien spaceships etc..

I even tho I don´t agree with this fools statement I still defend he´s right to have an outrages opinion. Good luck remaining players in the tournament who ever is playing next weekend :)

Oi it's wuss, depending on the time for Saturday I may be able to take the spot if trz/anyone else turns it down.

I was unavailable last weekend.

Only suggestion is if I'm vs ray, I get harvester truce on, 600k starting credits, multi FAC, fog of war, and he starts game afk for 10 min.

Thx

Hello all!  The games on the 18th went rather well.  We had a few small hiccups but everything is coming along nicely.

Unfortunately Carnage and Michael were both naughty boys and could not make it in time, so we were forced to D/Q them.

We had some long games that wore out some of the players, so we still have two games to finish:

Cambria Vs. Phatmouse for 1st / 2nd place

Destroy3r Vs. Tigerr for 3rd / 4th place.

Updated Bracket:

http://challonge.com/tstournament2

Oh, I did not know the hulk had a 'dance of utter submission', until now!  Thanks for sharing mate!

I've read this thread, and enjoyed watching the games. I've watched almost all of what's been posted thus far, though I usually skip the first 1.5 minutes to get to the point where there is an infantry rush (or isn't) since all the games seem identical more or less to that point.  So, the purpose of this tournament is loosely stated to encourage new people to be into TS, or build the community, or something?

Some comments from someone new;

1) Could you please use consistent names? In the videos you did commentary for, you regularly called Phatmouse Ray. And you did the same in the tournament roster; http://challonge.com/tstournament2 . Can you get his user name changed to Ray? It would make things easier to follow.

2) I've been playing through the old C&C's 1 by 1 (playing 5-10 online games and the campaigns) and finished C&C1 and RA1. I'm halfway through the TS campaign (almost done GDI). In some C&C1 Videos found here:https://forums.cncnet.org/index.php?topic=5851.0 , the people commenting on the videos do a really good job on commenting on every little move. Equally, when I watch Starcraft stuff, same thing.

For comparison, there is little commentary on some things you consider obvious; a lot of the meta, for example. Why people are selling ref's instead of building structures and buying harvesters, why people are selling the refs instead of just keeping them and building more power, why what units get used when, why do we see infantry rushes even though they never seem to actually go anywhere? Why does Nod in particular have to defend against infantry rushes (no disc trooper)? Why do we see so little Nod played? The longest Nod game I see is ~15 minutes long and it's not clear if there would ever be a Nod endgame. Why do people always send 3 engineers in APC's, and why do they so often go for refinery's over CC's? (Same with disruptors; tend to go refinery over CC?)

It's sort of assumed that everyone watching is already a reasonably serious Tiberium Sun player...which is probably expected to be true. If there is also the goal of engaging newer players, maybe some more thorough commentary would help? Also, some of the guys in the chat seem to have microphones really poorly set up? Also, like, a bit of excitement, maybe?  A lot of my favourite Starcraft sportscasters sound like they're excited to watch the match and enjoying the moves...you guys sound a little like these games are all by rote.

I really do quite look forward to watching a few more matches --- I'm hoping the finals get recorded/got recorded?

Hi Ikeren, a few responses to your queries. A refinery costs $2,000 and comes with a harvester, when you sell a refinery you get $1,000 back whilst a harvester alone costs $1,400 to buy. In Tiberian Sun it has become standard to play with a multi engineer setting which means it takes 3 engineers to capture an undamaged building compared to 1 in the older C&C games. An infantry rush at the start is used to stop your opponent from disruptor rushing or engineer rushing and to generally try and slow them down, if you win an infantry battle at the start you can slow your opponent from teching up and getting KO units like disruptors or MK2's early on in the game. With regards to disruptors, you can one shot a refinery and a warfactory with a disruptor if you use it a certain way, however, it is not possible to one shot a construction yard and so it is easier to defend. Nod does get used but the map of choice for most 1v1's (Terrace, as per the videos) tends to favour GDI over Nod, also the players in the tournament tend to favour GDI over Nod anyway and some of the top Nod players haven't been able to enter.

I would also say that this is probably the first time some of these guys have ever tried commenting on a video so they will get better as they get more practice. Hope this helps.

I appreciate the willingness to listen. I mean, I could be wrong, too, and there could be other people newer to the community with different desires.

@En3rgy52: Thanks for the responses. Didn't realize about the multi-engineer thing. Do the first two damage the building as per RA1? Also, did not realize you could not one shot the CC as well.

Either way, this is a great intro to the online game. I look forward to the finals.

I've read this thread, and enjoyed watching the games. I've watched almost all of what's been posted thus far, though I usually skip the first 1.5 minutes to get to the point where there is an infantry rush (or isn't) since all the games seem identical more or less to that point.  So, the purpose of this tournament is loosely stated to encourage new people to be into TS, or build the community, or something?

Some comments from someone new;

1) Could you please use consistent names? In the videos you did commentary for, you regularly called Phatmouse Ray. And you did the same in the tournament roster; http://challonge.com/tstournament2 . Can you get his user name changed to Ray? It would make things easier to follow.

2) I've been playing through the old C&C's 1 by 1 (playing 5-10 online games and the campaigns) and finished C&C1 and RA1. I'm halfway through the TS campaign (almost done GDI). In some C&C1 Videos found here:https://forums.cncnet.org/index.php?topic=5851.0 , the people commenting on the videos do a really good job on commenting on every little move. Equally, when I watch Starcraft stuff, same thing.

For comparison, there is little commentary on some things you consider obvious; a lot of the meta, for example. Why people are selling ref's instead of building structures and buying harvesters, why people are selling the refs instead of just keeping them and building more power, why what units get used when, why do we see infantry rushes even though they never seem to actually go anywhere? Why does Nod in particular have to defend against infantry rushes (no disc trooper)? Why do we see so little Nod played? The longest Nod game I see is ~15 minutes long and it's not clear if there would ever be a Nod endgame. Why do people always send 3 engineers in APC's, and why do they so often go for refinery's over CC's? (Same with disruptors; tend to go refinery over CC?)

It's sort of assumed that everyone watching is already a reasonably serious Tiberian Sun player...which is probably expected to be true. If there is also the goal of engaging newer players, maybe some more thorough commentary would help? Also, some of the guys in the chat seem to have microphones really poorly set up? Also, like, a bit of excitement, maybe?  A lot of my favourite Starcraft sportscasters sound like they're excited to watch the match and enjoying the moves...you guys sound a little like these games are all by rote.

I really do quite look forward to watching a few more matches --- I'm hoping the finals get recorded/got recorded?

This will answer alot of your ?'s if you pay attention, it is raw (no re-dubbing etc.) & done w/ 100% open source (free) software, but really explains things in a different way & is entertaining. (I am a nod player btw, so yes, we are here lol)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0AduP-mm5g