Testers needed for Linux Mint and Ubuntu downloads (Debian package)

FunkyFr3sh

• 1 month later...

Ubuntu 14.04 running on a Dell E6410

$ uname -a

Linux E6410 3.13.0-92-generic #139-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jun 28 20:42:26 UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Open the file with Ubuntu Software Centre:

"The installation of a package which violates the quality standards isn't allowed. This could cause serious problems on your computer. Please contact the person or organization who provided this package file and include the details beneath."

Lintian check results for /home/me/Downloads/tiberiansunonline_1.0_all(1).deb:

E: tiberiansunonline: maintainer-address-malformed CnCNet <@>

Since it is just the publisher email address, I decided to click-through by "Ignore-and-install".

Dialog box:

"Package Operation failed

The installation or removal of a software package failed.

(Reading database ...

(Reading database ... 5%

(Reading database ... 10%

(Reading database ... 15%

(Reading database ... 20%

(Reading database ... 25%

(Reading database ... 30%

(Reading database ... 35%

(Reading database ... 40%

(Reading database ... 45%

(Reading database ... 50%

(Reading database ... 55%

(Reading database ... 60%

(Reading database ... 65%

(Reading database ... 70%

(Reading database ... 75%

(Reading database ... 80%

(Reading database ... 85%

(Reading database ... 90%

(Reading database ... 95%

(Reading database ... 100%

(Reading database ... 1296253 files and directories currently installed.)

Preparing to unpack .../tiberiansunonline_1.0_all(1).deb ...

Unpacking tiberiansunonline (1.0) over (1.0) ...

Setting up tiberiansunonline (1.0) ...

/var/lib/dpkg/info/tiberiansunonline.postinst: 2: /var/lib/dpkg/info/tiberiansunonline.postinst: [[: not found

sudo: unknown user:

sudo: unable to initialize policy plugin

dpkg: error processing package tiberiansunonline (--install):

subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1

Errors were encountered while processing:

tiberiansunonline"

This is the second time I tried downloading and installing (re-install second time). The problem is identical for both attempts.

I see people having trouble to install red alert in Ubuntu. Most probably Ubuntu 64 bit.

I'm using Debian Jessie 64bit and I get the same error message:

[...]

/var/lib/dpkg/info/tiberiansunonline.postinst: 2: /var/lib/dpkg/info/tiberiansunonline.postinst: [[: not found

[..]

This issue can be solved by replacing the wine64 package by wine32.

Following commands should lead you to the successfull install:

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386

sudo apt-get install win32

sudo dpkg --purge wine64

sudo dpkg -i redalertfull_1.0_all.deb OR sudo dpkg -i redalertonline_1.0_all.deb

Good luck!

Hi guys,

I've been trying to play Red Alert with my friends, but it just won't work. I'm on Ubuntu 16.04. I'm not able to start a LAN game. In the start screen when I choose LAN connection, I get three error windows. Here are the screenshots:

http://i.imgur.com/hU9xqqG.png

http://i.imgur.com/x3GKZR9.png

http://i.imgur.com/vXAYE7D.png

Here is detailed program error log: https://jpst.it/M38h

This only occurs if I try the LAN option. Online and Skirmish work fine (except for a weird bug with coursor/touchpad in Online mode, but I guess that's another issue).

I'm getting the same error on two different computers, one with Ubuntu 16.04, the other with elementary OS Luna (based on Ubuntu 12.04). I'm confused by the error report because it asks me to check my antivirus and firewall settings, but I don't actually have either one installed on any computer.

Is anyone else getting the same problem? Or does anyone have an idea how to fix this? Thanks.

Hi guys,

I've been trying to play Red Alert with my friends, but it just won't work. I'm on Ubuntu 16.04. I'm not able to start a LAN game. In the start screen when I choose LAN connection, I get three error windows. Here are the screenshots:

http://i.imgur.com/hU9xqqG.png

http://i.imgur.com/x3GKZR9.png

http://i.imgur.com/vXAYE7D.png

Here is detailed program error log: https://jpst.it/M38h

This only occurs if I try the LAN option. Online and Skirmish work fine (except for a weird bug with coursor/touchpad in Online mode, but I guess that's another issue).

I'm getting the same error on two different computers, one with Ubuntu 16.04, the other with elementary OS Luna (based on Ubuntu 12.04). I'm confused by the error report because it asks me to check my antivirus and firewall settings, but I don't actually have either one installed on any computer.

Is anyone else getting the same problem? Or does anyone have an idea how to fix this? Thanks.

Hey! Yes, the problem is known, I updated the package description yesterday. To be able to play LAN games you need to have at least 1 windows pc in the network and you have to start the game on this pc first to launch the LAN server, afterwards you can start it up on your ubuntu and it will connect.

The reason for the bug is that the LAN server requires .NET 3.5 but there is no working way to install it fully automatically sadly.

If you don't have a windows pc around then you can still install the .NET 3.5 manually like this:

Make sure winetricks is installed:

sudo apt-get winetricks

Now type this:

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX="$HOME/.cncnet" wine wineboot

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX="$HOME/.cncnet" winetricks -q dotnet35

if you get the following error message "dotnet35 conflicts with dotnet2sp1..." then type this:

rm -r -f "$HOME/.cncnet"

And now this again:

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX="$HOME/.cncnet" wine wineboot

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX="$HOME/.cncnet" winetricks -q dotnet35

Note: During the installation of winetricks dotnet35 it will open a website full of advertisements and fake download buttons, you have to find the right link to download the file and then place the file into the folder the script opened (.cache/winetricks.. or something like that)

Now you might have to install the game again and then it should work

Wow, FunkyFr3sh thank you very much for replying so quickly! I'm very relieved to hear there's a workaround. We do have a Windows computer in our network, so that shouldn't be a problem. I'll also try out the manual installation of .NET3.5, and edit this post with a confirmation as soon as I have it.

Sorry for hi-jacking the topic like this. And a huge thanks to you and all of the CnCNet squad for letting us have these marvelous games!

Wow, FunkyFr3sh thank you very much for replying so quickly! I'm very relieved to hear there's a workaround. We do have a Windows computer in our network, so that shouldn't be a problem. I'll also try out the manual installation of .NET3.5, and edit this post with a confirmation as soon as I have it.

Sorry for hi-jacking the topic like this. And a huge thanks to you and all of the CnCNet squad for letting us have these marvelous games!

No problem! good luck

• 4 weeks later...

So, if I don't have Ra2/YR on my Ubuntu distrobution, I would have to find a download link and use Wine /Windows to get it up and running?

:o

For ra2/yr you'll need to set it up on your own, yes. Get wine, create 32bit prefix and install the game in there, then add a dll override for "ddraw". Now download ddwrapper and place the two files into your game folder. Now set "NoVideoMemory=1" in the ddwrapper settings file and it should work fine. For cncnet games you'll need to install winetricks dotnet35 too

ddwrapper download: http://bitpatch.com/ddwrapper.html

I see people having trouble to install red alert in Ubuntu. Most probably Ubuntu 64 bit.

I'm using Debian Jessie 64bit and I get the same error message:

[...]

[..]

This issue can be solved by replacing the wine64 package by wine32.

Following commands should lead you to the successfull install:

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386

sudo apt-get install win32

sudo dpkg --purge wine64

sudo dpkg -i redalertfull_1.0_all.deb OR sudo dpkg -i redalertonline_1.0_all.deb

Good luck!

I still need to do that. I already have Winex64 installed on Fedora and from what I gather I need to remove that completely then reinstall as 32 bit. This looks like the process but my commands would be different..

If I ever get it done I'll report all my findings here.

• 3 weeks later...

No problems on mint 17.3 cinnamon 64 bit installed and worked like it should Great Work!

Edit any way to get the C&C gold Single player as well?

Cool

TS and C&C1 installers are not made by me, tore and nyerguds would need to do some updates to get it working out of the box. But you can just try to set it up manually

• 1 month later...

Hi, new to forums, been playing obvs for ages.  For one, thanks for investing your time in this, and making a Deb. 

The Deb works fine, I had zero problems getting it installed on my end.  But, Im an idiot and cant run WINE to save my life.  Basically the game (RA) starts and runs fine, but it wont get rid of the Ubuntu stuff (im running 14.04), even though it's gone fullscreen.  Also the mouse isn't tracking right or at all.  Im too dumb to figure this stuff out.  Any help?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, new to forums, been playing obvs for ages.  For one, thanks for investing your time in this, and making a Deb. 

The Deb works fine, I had zero problems getting it installed on my end.  But, Im an idiot and cant run WINE to save my life.  Basically the game (RA) starts and runs fine, but it wont get rid of the Ubuntu stuff (im running 14.04), even though it's gone fullscreen.  Also the mouse isn't tracking right or at all.  Im too dumb to figure this stuff out.  Any help?

You can try to raise your resolution via the Settings button in the game launcher. 1280x720 could be a good choice.

If you prefer to play at the original 640x400 then use "Stretch to fullscreen" or "Run in window" instead, one of them might solve your problem.

TsH1FOi.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hy everybody I am a native german 64 years old and have now enough time to help you as a game-tester.

Iff you are interested on my help for you, inform me at Email to my Email-Address-

Thank's for Attention.

Fritz Raddatz/ fritz8666

hi fritz!

Thanks for the offer, I think everything is working fine already on ubuntu and mint.

But if you find any problems then let us know!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi, not enough time to really help as a tester, but have just installed on Ubuntu 16.04, currently works great with Tiberian Dawn, and I have also got it to work with Dune 2000 (gruntmods edition) simply by moving the folder over to the games folder in the .cncnet directory and then telling cncnet where it is when in the settings menu of the lobby. I mention this because I couldn't find any working guide on the net regarding  dune 2k multiplayer on linux. maybe this will help someone :) 

All in all, this is great. Thankyou for creating.

6 hours ago, Drunkasafish said:

Hi, not enough time to really help as a tester, but have just installed on Ubuntu 16.04, currently works great with Tiberian Dawn, and I have also got it to work with Dune 2000 (gruntmods edition) simply by moving the folder over to the games folder in the .cncnet directory and then telling cncnet where it is when in the settings menu of the lobby. I mention this because I couldn't find any working guide on the net regarding  dune 2k multiplayer on linux. maybe this will help someone :) 

All in all, this is great. Thankyou for creating.

Good idea, thanks for sharing!

• 2 months later...

On Linux Mint 19 i needed to install different package names: wine32 instead of wine to be able to run anything regarding: cncnet

it throws many errors after trying to open cncnet for the first time and then tries to install Net 3.5 automatically.

After it tries to start cncnet Net throws an error stating to not be able to find a needed font. Here is a screenshot:

posted image

3 hours ago, SoulInferno said:

On Linux Mint 19 i needed to install different package names: wine32 instead of wine to be able to run anything regarding: cncnet

it throws many errors after trying to open cncnet for the first time and then tries to install Net 3.5 automatically.

After it tries to start cncnet Net throws an error stating to not be able to find a needed font. Here is a screenshot:

I just tried it quick and it's not working for me either on Linux Mint 19

thanks for reporting

Edit:

Manual Installation works fine, just played a game!

So, until the package was updated you'll need to install the following two packages manually: "wine32" and "fonts-wine"

19 hours ago, FunkyFr3sh said:

Updated both packages, works fine on Linux Mint 19 now. 

Recorded a video of the installation too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6vShmzMdcU&amp;feature=youtu.be

Thank you FunkyFresh! 

I totally left windows platform as Linux becomes more popular and everyone who tries Mint feels the freedom he has. 

This made my day ;-) 

Finally playing again on Linux! 

There are two questions left:

It would be awesome to get a CnCnet Repo for Linux Mint / Ubuntu. (It shouldn't be that hard to do it just Google it ;-)). 

In this way CnCnet would be updated over the update software of Linux automatically.

And next is there a way to play in my native language? 

If not help me archive this I have the German CDs laying around here.. 

I want the german text in combination with the uncuts from the english version. That would be optimum to play like this. 

With kindest regards

Soul Inferno