[Basic] How to Play Tiberian Dawn Over LAN w/ Windows 7

Ferret

Last update was on December 18, 2010 at 8:44 PM CT.

Since I had trouble when trying to play over LAN back then. I think I should help people since no one helped me. :D

Table of Contents

I. REQUIRED STEPS

1 - Patching/Installing the Game

2 - Connecting

3 - Joining/Hosting a Game

II. OPTIONAL STEPS

4 - Workgroup

Patching/Installing the Game

1) If you have The First Decade, install this patch. Your Tiberian Dawn version should be 1.06b revision 1. We don't want that so, after that, install this other patch which will upgrade it to the latest (1.06c).

1.1) If you do not have Tiberian Dawn. You can download the full game here (it is recommended that you install this patch).

Connecting

2) Well, we gotta connect to a network so double click the icon shown below depending on your way of connecting to the internet.

Wireless

connectionn.png

Directly

asdftw.png

2.1) Once you have done that you should be connected in the same network and be able to see your friends computer name (picture shown below).

2.2) To get to the network screen go to: Start -> Network OR Start -> (then in the search bar, type "network" then press ENTER).

networkr.png

As you can see we're all in the same network and can see each other.  Which is what we want.

If you have difficulties seeing each other on the network window, please refer to section 4.

Joining/Creating a Game

3) Open C&C. Go to: Multiplayer Game -> Network. As you can see I can see my buddies game and I am gunna go ahead a join it by selecting the game which I want to join by clicking "Join" as shown below.

decade15.png

3.1) Alright sweet. I am inside my buddies game. Now he can simply launch the game by clicking "OK" and we're off to a great game.

decade16.png

3.2) Have fun!

decade10.png

Workgroup

4) If you cannot see each other on the network window. You must be in the same "Workgroup". Follow the steps below...

4.1) Start -> RIGHT CLICK on "Computer" then "Properties" as shown below.

computers.png

4.2) A window should appear on your screen. Once it has opened, look in the top left corner as shown below and click "Advanced system settings".

advanced.png

4.3) Once there. Another window will appear. There will be 5 tabs. Click on the one that says "Computer Name" as shown below.

computername.png

4.4) Alright. Now I can see my computer name and the Workgroup I am currently in as shown below. By default I am pretty sure it's "WORKGROUP". To change the name of your Workgroup click "Change...".

workgroup.png

4.5) Ok, now what?  Well obviously you can change your Workgroup name by typing in a name desired for your Workgroup as shown below.

workgroupchange.png

All the computers must be in the same desired Workgroup name.

4.6) Alright, now click "OK". Well now you should be in the same Workgroup now. Go out and play!

I truly hope that this was easy enough to follow.

If you have any questions, do not hesitate to post a reply below.

You must get permission before you post this onto another website and credit must be given!

Guide written by Gavin "godly-cheese" Anderson

Nope.  If you're connected directly it should automatically connect therefore it shouldn't be a problem.  Besides, if people don't even know how to connect to their router or network... then they shouldn't even be on a damn computer. Lol.

Nice! but, the network information i did not even setup in any computer, and it is working correctly and i played c&c with 4 computers at same time! (this with windows 7, my second pc with XP, my Coisin notebook with XP, and my old and *cof* good old notebook running Windows 2000.

just want to know: why you disabled aero?

Nice! but, the network information i did not even setup in any computer, and it is working correctly and i played c&c with 4 computers at same time! (this with windows 7, my second pc with XP, my Coisin notebook with XP, and my old and *cof* good old notebook running Windows 2000.

just want to know: why you disabled aero?

Well, that part is quite unnecessary but it causes out of sync errors with some people if they don't do it. So I put it in there anyway just incase.

I disabled Aero because it eats quite a bit of my resources (dwm.exe) and I like to run my games with top performance. And just because I like the "feel" of it.

I do like Aero, it's just I've always liked the look of older versions of Windows. I don't know, it's just me.

Hmmm, I should probably re-read where I thought dwm.exe ate up resources.

But it does seem to help as it takes about 10,000K of memory and such.

Although I never have seen Aero be disabled when entering a full-screen application. The only one that I've seen that does that is Combat Arms really.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...