(Solved) RA2/YR: Main executable stops working when trying to run the game standalone

Techno_Man

Question

11 answers to this question

Are you using Origin too?

Yes I am. If there is anything you want me to try I am more than welcome to do it. As far as base changes go to the game, all I did to make it run was go into the game.exe, gamemd.exe, RA2 and RA2MD and set compatibility by having it run in 640x480 resolution and then running as administrator one time on each of them. In order to make the game run faster without lag I went into the RA2 and RA2MD.ini and added under the [Video] section VideoBackBuffer=no. I have Mental Omega installed as a mod, and it works fine although in the MO folder (MO and RA2/YR are being kept in separate file locations; MO on desktop and RA2/YR in Origin Games in the default path). I don't think the MO side matters though because I can play those campaigns and the skirmishes nd CnCnet on that just fine, just not in vanilla.

@FunkyFr3sh I do not have a ddraw.dll in my directory. It was never placed during RA2/YR installation, unless you mean I should delete ddraw after CNCnet is reinstalled?

Yes I am. If there is anything you want me to try I am more than welcome to do it. As far as base changes go to the game, all I did to make it run was go into the game.exe, gamemd.exe, RA2 and RA2MD and set compatibility by having it run in 640x480 resolution and then running as administrator one time on each of them. In order to make the game run faster without lag I went into the RA2 and RA2MD.ini and added under the [Video] section VideoBackBuffer=no. I have Mental Omega installed as a mod, and it works fine although in the MO folder (MO and RA2/YR are being kept in separate file locations; MO on desktop and RA2/YR in Origin Games in the default path). I don't think the MO side matters though because I can play those campaigns and the skirmishes nd CnCnet on that just fine, just not in vanilla.

@FunkyFr3sh I do not have a ddraw.dll in my directory. It was never placed during RA2/YR installation, unless you mean I should delete ddraw after CNCnet is reinstalled?

do you have windows XP? If so, enable the windows 95 compat mode for game.exe and gamemd.exe

do you have windows XP? If so, enable the windows 95 compat mode for game.exe and gamemd.exe

Believe me if I had XP I would gladly use it; this is a windows 10 laptop though. On a side note, I didn't have this issue with the old CnCnet, just the new one. In regards to deleting ddraw.dll, is that in CnCnet and if so are there any repercussions for doing this with Cncnet?

Edit: Removing ddraw allows Red Alert 2 to run normally, however Yuri's Revenge seems to have an issue where it wants to immediately rush into CnCnet YR instead of vanilla.

Believe me if I had XP I would gladly use it; this is a windows 10 laptop though. On a side note, I didn't have this issue with the old CnCnet, just the new one. In regards to deleting ddraw.dll, is that in CnCnet and if so are there any repercussions for doing this with Cncnet?

Re-name it to ts_ddraw.dll and move it back to Resources folder to play it safe

I think I have it fixed now; ddraw in the CnCnet was definitely causing issues, but when I deleted it, it allowed me to launch both games using the GameMD.exe. It still has a few moments where the frames drop but it is still nice to play the campaign and skirmish without deleting CNCnet... thanks again.