Community Translation - Ukrainian Language Add-On

Lilly Blanche

Thank you, everything's working out just fine so far, two GDI videos done and look great. Once you get into it, the process kinda becomes automated, though the sheer number of videos scares me a little XD Oh well, all in due time. Random people are asking me to send them the "beta" (or, uhm, whatever one may call it) version of this translation for testing already. Not going to happen, too risky at this time. I'd rather test everything extensively once the whole package is ready. 

Speaking of testing... is there a more efficient way of ensuring the videos are working correctly aside from beating every single mission in the game to get to them? I can make these subtitled videos much faster than I can play through the entire game, and as much as I love Tiberian Dawn, I'd rather not have to spend hours and hours going through both GDI and Nod campaigns just to make sure that one typo got fixed and video #12 works as it should. I know XCC Mixer can play .vqa, but it doesn't provide reliable feedback as to whether or not it'll work right in the game proper, and there's no way of knowing if sound works either. I remember someone mentioning a codec of some sort which allows viewing .vqa files in Windows. Would that offer reliable feedback instead? Or, if the only way is to beat every mission, would you happen to know where one could get a bunch of save files for this version of TD? XD (Normally, I'm against cheating, but... yeah, I'd give this a pass :D) 

I suppose I could try renaming every new video "gdi1" and test it out that way, but... something tells me that it's not the best way to go about this. 

I appreciate the insight into the audio thing. By the way, regarding sounds: in order to replace the unit and EVA voices, I just have to make sure my .wav file is set to mono, 22050Hz, and then simply covert it to .aud using the "copy as AUD" XCC Mixer feature, right? (well, also name it accordingly and put it into the correct .mix file afterwards). 

The Japanese version. Is it official? I've tried Japanese voice pack, sounds more or less acceptable, but there's no text translation? If that's the way it shipped in Japan, I fail to see the reason behind wasting money to voice the units in Japanese and leave everything else in English. Seems kinda pointless. And if there is a version with Japanese text... well, color me impressed - that must've been a huge pain in the butt considering how complicated that language and its writing system are. 

As for the German one... yeah, uh... I've no idea who came up with that idea. Not a fan of killing robots myself, especially when there are clearly people walking around everywhere. The worst example of their censorship, as far as I'm aware, is Zero Hour. What a mess that was, poor German players :(

Edited by Lilly Blanche

1 hour ago, Lilly Blanche said:

Speaking of testing... is there a more efficient way of ensuring the videos are working correctly aside from beating every single mission in the game to get to them? 

You could make a test Covert Ops mission and use it to quickly test the videos using a mission editor. You can easily do three at a time, because up to three videos play before each mission begins. 

21 minutes ago, Lilly Blanche said:

That does sound like a viable option, though I've no idea how to make maps for TD, let alone add them to the game. As I've mentioned before, I know my way around TS mapping, but all that stuff is new to me when it comes to TD. 

I've made a test map for you, and I'll show you how to use it to quickly test videos. Extract these two files into your C&C95 folder, and you'll find a new mission called "Divide and Conquer" in your list of Nod missions. You can play it from there to test the videos.

Now, to change the videos that play, you need to open the .ini file in Notepad (not the .bin one, leave that unchanged), and look at the section at the top which I've included a screenshot of. "Intro", "Action" and "Brief" are the script headings for the three videos which play before the mission starts, and I've preloaded them with the videos AIRSTRK, BANNER and ARIKA. These are the ones you can quickly change to test videos in a batch of three. Nyerguds has a handy listing of the code names for all the missions and a description of which video it is here: http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/cncstuff/cctxt/movies.txt

Simply choose the code name for the mission you want to test and put it in place of one of the existing ones.

Videos Script Location.jpg

DaC v.1.zip

Edited by nariac
  • Upvote 1

Wow. Thank you so much, Nariac! It works, I can test my videos quickly now :D 
The general doesn't seem too happy about it, though. He knows he'll be working three times as hard now that I know how to summon his face whenever I feel like it instead of going through hell every single time I need to check something XD 

lol.png

(He's saying "Курва" ("Kurva"), which means... uhm... well, kinda like "damn", but worse :D)

19 hours ago, Lilly Blanche said:

I suppose I could try renaming every new video "gdi1" and test it out that way, but... something tells me that it's not the best way to go about this. 

I dunno, that's not too bad. In fact I've always tested videos by renaming them to logo.vqa/vqp; that's the game's intro animation, so it'll play right away when you start the game. Literally not a single extra step needed to view it :P

I appreciate the insight into the audio thing. By the way, regarding sounds: in order to replace the unit and EVA voices, I just have to make sure my .wav file is set to mono, 22050Hz, and then simply covert it to .aud using the "copy as AUD" XCC Mixer feature, right? (well, also name it accordingly and put it into the correct .mix file afterwards). 

16-bit mono, 22050hz, yes. You can do that with RAD tools, too. For EVA voices, that's really all. For vehicle and infantry voices, they often need to be renamed to the extensions v00/v01/v02/v03 though. The sounds document of the new guide details all that though.

The Japanese version. Is it official? I've tried Japanese voice pack, sounds more or less acceptable, but there's no text translation? If that's the way it shipped in Japan, I fail to see the reason behind wasting money to voice the units in Japanese and leave everything else in English. Seems kinda pointless. And if there is a version with Japanese text... well, color me impressed - that must've been a huge pain in the butt considering how complicated that language and its writing system are. 

It is official, yes. The Japanese version was always like that. English ingame text and Japanese voices. It's not that odd; my original Dutch C&C is completely in English but just has a Dutch manual. You have to understand, though, Japan is a country where everything foreign is dubbed, so while they might be familiar with the letters from logos and such, they probably really needed those ingame audio hints to be in their own language.

The version I used is the Sega Saturn version, since none of us have managed to locate the apparently-existing but highly elusive Japanese PC version. Thankfully, the videos on it were VQA format, so no conversion was needed for those, but sadly, the audio quality on the console versions isn't very good, hence why the unit and EVA of the Japanese language really isn't as crisp as the other languages. I had to record all these off the game's sounds preview function (it's a bit like a music playlist) in an emulator.

As for the German one... yeah, uh... I've no idea who came up with that idea. Not a fan of killing robots myself, especially when there are clearly people walking around everywhere. The worst example of their censorship, as far as I'm aware, is Zero Hour. What a mess that was, poor German players :(

Yeah, I had some German people helping me to de-censor all the text mission briefings. The videos were slightly harder, but I have some experience cutting and pasting voices together for mods, and for the Spanish language pack; all EVA for that was made from edited Tiberian Sun voice clips (TS has an official Spanish release).

I wonder how I never got the idea to do so. Perhaps it's simply because I instantly skip all the intro movies, and my brain simply never registered that they are there to begin with :D

Ah, yes, the renaming part. Well, thanks to you, now I know this little command line renaming script which helps me out immensly, so that shouldn't be a problem anymore! :)

I'll never understand this kind of approach to translations. The main goal is to make everything understandable, and the bare minimum is text and subtitles. Dubbing the EVA and units while leaving everything else "as is" will allow players to experience the gameplay portion of the game, but everything else will likely go unnoticed even by those players who know English well enough to not require any kind of additional assistance. Heck, I'm a certified interpreter and I STILL needed some visual aid in order to translate those cutscenes properly, because the amount of military-specific terms and abbreviations combined with rapid speech patterns of some characters makes it really hard to catch on the first try. Doing nothing with the 80% of the game's content and then calling it "the official Japanese version" just seems lazy to me. When I played through TD for the very first time ages ago, I had no idea what was going on aside from the fact that there are "good guys" and "bad guys" (who are actually much more interesting), and we're fighting 'cause reasons. All the little jokes, details and hidden conflicts went right past me, and I suspect the same thing happened with Japanese and a lot of Dutch players. You can retell the absolute minimum in the manual, but that will not do the trick. 

I own Tiberian Sun in Spanish and French, though those CDs are extremely old (they're original ones) and I'm too afraid to use them 'cause they might break. I speak Spanish, and in my opinion, this version of TS is pretty damn good, especially the voices. However, I remember there being some nasty mistakes in texts, and it seemed like the cutscenes and the actual gameplay portions were translated by different people. For instance, Slavik has two completely different voices - one for cutscenes, and one for the "Slavik unit", they sound nothing alike, and whoever's playing the game for the first time will probably be extremely confused as to what is even happening. 

The French version has really good infantry voices, and Cabal rocks - the actor himself has a very charismatic, deep and rich voice, magnified by additional special effects. It's just a pleasure to listen to. Unfortunately, I don't speak French well enough to comment on how good or bad the actual translation is. 

Edited by Lilly Blanche

27 minutes ago, Lilly Blanche said:

Ah, yes, the renaming part. Well, thanks to you, now I know this little command line renaming script which helps me out immensly, so that shouldn't be a problem anymore! :)

Well, if you move all files of one voice set into a separate folder, you can indeed use the command-line rename commands, yes. But do be careful with those, because they'll match anything they find :P

27 minutes ago, Lilly Blanche said:

Doing nothing with the 80% of the game's content and then calling it "the official Japanese version" just seems lazy to me. When I played through TD for the very first time ages ago, I had no idea what was going on aside from the fact that there are "good guys" and "bad guys" (who are actually much more interesting), and we're fighting 'cause reasons. All the little jokes, details and hidden conflicts went right past me, and I suspect the same thing happened with Japanese and a lot of Dutch players. You can retell the absolute minimum in the manual, but that will not the trick. 

They had translated cutscenes, though. That does a whole lot. Japanese is hard to translate to because their fonts don't fit in extended ascii—they've got way more than 128 characters—so that's a bit of a problem, but I know in the N64 version, because of this, they built in a little logic that replaced the text briefings for the missions with images containing the briefing text, which of course solved that problem. I assume the Sega Saturn version must've done the same thing, but it's not something I can reproduce on PC. The closest I can get to an extended-ascii Japanese text encoding (and thus, game font) is Hiragana, which is completely phonetically written Japanese (the game's name is written as such in Japanese: コマンド&コンカー),and then I can't even just transcribe these original images; I'd need an actual Japanese translator :P

And, once in-game, it doesn't matter much. Consoles often rely on shortcuts to enable the sell/repair functions so I don't think there even is a sell/repair button. Icons in DOS and the consoles don't have text on them, and the build icons themselves are clearly recognizable. There is very little English text once you actually start playing. And, do realize, this is a game from an era when manuals were still actually read ;)

UPDATE

Gdi1-15 are finished, tested and seem to be working as intended. Hurray! Now, that's enough for one day. I'll take care of the additional stuff encountered in the course of the GDI campaign tomorrow, and I'll try to get at least some of the NOD videos done as well. Loved that GDI general's character development. You really feel for the guy by the end of it all. Also, Carter... I feel so sorry for him, I never realized what happened to him when I played it way back when :( 

That's how we're doing it - each actor has his or her own folder, each actor's folder has a separate character folder that contains a text document detailing what we need, and an additional folder with all the English audio files. We send a package like this to our actors, they record their lines, then we take their files and arrange them exactly as the original files are arranged. In the end, we get everything in one place, sorted nicely, ready to be converted / renamed and put in the game. So no worries, it's serious business :D

Ah. That changes it, then! I thought they left EVERYTHING in English aside from unit voices and EVA. Makes sense! I wonder why no proper Dutch version, though? Shouldn't be THAT hard, at least it's not Japanese with thousands upon thousands of symbols and variations. I'd offer my help in making one, but the only Dutch I know is from Les Miserables musical, and that's not gonna help much :D

Hmm... I get a "buffer overrun" error while trying to convert a bunch of .pcx files for "bkground" cutscene into .vqa. Just tried other videos - still works fine, just this one is giving me an error like this so far. Weird. 

UPDATE: 

Nevermind, it does this with every single new video I try to convert, the old ones still go through the process without any errors, but anything new I try to do gives this "buffer overrun" error. This is... uhm, pretty bad D: 

Edited by Lilly Blanche

I remember getting an error like that... I think reinstalling the Visual C++ 2008 Redistributables solved it for me.

Unrelated: I had the idea to add the Japanese briefings by adding the whole briefing images I got as characters in the font, but sadly it seems the game uses the font's set height as line height, so that messed up all normal text on menus and such :P

Here's the stuff from the thread when I had that problem.
https://ppmforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=8337#102065
A couple of posts down you see that it apparently solved itself after I reinstalled some codecs. So, yeah. Beyond that, no idea.

If you really don't get it done, I could do it for you if you just send me the frames. My email is simply my nickname at gmail. Or you just upload them on a service like MediaFire and post 'em here.

And yes, it looked quite funny, with a font height of... 96, I think :P

command_&_conquer-2017-04-20-16_48_23.png

Especially the buttons, lol. The entire ingame main menu had extended buttons like that :D

On 18/04/2017 at 5:50 PM, Lilly Blanche said:

Random people are asking me to send them the "beta" (or, uhm, whatever one may call it) version of this translation for testing already. Not going to happen, too risky at this time. I'd rather test everything extensively once the whole package is ready.

Heh. I'd say "they're free to follow the guide and build it themselves from the stuff here" but the forum wiped all attachments :P 

On that note, I noticed some small errors in the fonts, so here's an update:

fonts_ukr_updated2.zip

21 minutes ago, Nyerguds said:

If you really don't get it done, I could do it for you if you just send me the frames. My email is simply my nickname at gmail. Or you just upload them on a service like MediaFire and post 'em here.

Okay, here's a weird thing. It still converts smaller files. I've just tried subtitling "nod1", and the converter did its job. Which makes me think size is the problem, somehow. Though, I cannot be certain. The only way to know if my theory is true is for someone else to try a "big" conversion. Here's a subtitled "bkground" video as .pcx files: 
https://mega.nz/#!gpdyUQzS!7vA0yReGcctpludbP9GEMXCEUJt2-fH8KCmj1kzJID0 

And here's the audio file to go with it: 
https://mega.nz/#!41EWCDQZ!UKdAi4rPqapVYqUgePPdAGs9qsE1Gw1Kzmn7NW0PJGo 

If you're unable to convert it, this would mean that the encoder cannot handle videos that are longer than some specific amount of time, making translating or dubbing them esentially impossible. If it works on your end, this would mean that my encoder is very selective for some weird reason, and the only way to proceed with this translation would be for me to convert whatever I can myself, and then send you the things I couldn't do. Now, I do realize that by this point, I'm a huge pain in the butt, and I do not wish to bother you any further with these things, but... if my theory is proven to be false and you can convert these files... then you'll hear something along the lines of "Help me, Nyerguds. You're my only hope" coming out of me... 

Hehehe, that's a pretty big looking "OK" button :D:D:D And what's even more impressive is that the whole thing didn't break. 

32 minutes ago, Nyerguds said:

Heh. I'd say "they're free to follow the guide and build it themselves from the stuff here" but the forum wiped all attachments :P 

Strangely enough... I'm kinda okay with that. People can be quite slimy at times. 

I noticed something interesting...

The problem happened to me too, but only if the frames were in a really deep path. I moved my frames to a simpler folder, without any spaces or periods in it (E:\media\ready\) and it all worked fine.

Small note, though: you are converting a video that (I think) originally had multiple palettes to one single colour palette here. This seriously decreases the video's quality. For other videos with radical scene switches like that, consider converting them in pieces with each piece getting its own palette. This will give a noticeable increase in quality, especially in long videos like the game's introduction. You can set the frame ranges to convert in RAD Tools. As noted in the VQA threads I linked to earlier, this works fine as long as the palette switches happen on an exact multiple of the "key frames" number given in the converter, and you can change that key frame value if needed.

This tool can help you to stitch all the different converted ranges of frames back together to one sequence for the VQA encoder:
http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/tools/rename_copy_tool_1.1.rar

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Nyerguds said:

The problem happened to me too, but only if the frames were in a really deep path. I moved my frames to a simpler folder, without any spaces or periods in it (E:\media\ready\) and it all worked fine.

You've nailed it! Tried the same thing, it worked. So, it's not the size of the file that kills it, it's the extremely long path name. The shorter videos worked not because they're smaller in length, but because they had shorter names - "gdi1", "nod1", etc. But "bkground" and the other one I tried afterwards, "tbrinfo1" (or something like that) crashed, because the file name was longer, which, combined with a pretty deep path, made the encoder go haywire 'cause it couldn't handle the overly long destination. That's... a very interesting find, I think! Once again, you've saved this whole thing. I don't think "Nyerguds" means "savior", but it really should. It's got "guds" in it which sounds kinda like "good" at any rate :D Thanks! 

As for the palette, I'll see what I can do about that! 

Heh. "Nyerguds" means nothing at all; it's a name I made up more than a decade ago for the little LEGO alien that adorns my avatar (and my desk!).

When I needed a unique nickname to make accounts on stuff online, I shamelessly stole the little guy's identity :3

2 minutes ago, Nyerguds said:

Heh. "Nyerguds" means nothing at all; it's a name I made up decades ago for the little LEGO alien that adorns my avatar (and my desk!).

Where did this alien come from? Did you just pick it at random? If you don't mind me asking, that is. By the way, here's something fun: "Nyer" means "Victory" in Hungarian, and "guds" means "God's" in Swedish. So, combined, it means "God's Victory". Which is pretty damn awesome :D 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Lilly Blanche said:

Where did this alien come from? Did you just pick it at random? If you don't mind me asking, that is.

The alien is a combination of two LEGO aliens sets; the figure is from the "U.F.O." set, but his helmet is from the "Insectoids" set. I thought it was nice to use a helmet in the same transparent colour of the head, so it just looked like a bigger head :)

The name is just made up by me, without any real influences except "it has to sound alien" :D

14 minutes ago, Lilly Blanche said:

By the way, here's something fun: "Nyer" means "Victory" in Hungarian, and "guds" means "God's" in Swedish. So, combined, it means "God's Victory". Which is pretty damn awesome :D 

Oh, that is pretty epic. I shall treasure that knowledge! :cncsmirk:

In fact, seems Hungarian Google Translate pronounces my name perfectly! :D

https://translate.google.com/?source=osdd#hu/en/Nyerguds

On 19/04/2017 at 8:02 PM, Lilly Blanche said:

I wonder why no proper Dutch version, though? Shouldn't be THAT hard, at least it's not Japanese with thousands upon thousands of symbols and variations. I'd offer my help in making one, but the only Dutch I know is from Les Miserables musical, and that's not gonna help much :D

Please don't bother, lol. Firstly, I think I'd manage that myself, and secondly, well, we have a... very different mindset when it comes to translations. Dutch people actually complained on the official forums when they found out the C&C3 they bought was in Dutch, and asked how to set it back to the original English language (which, thankfully, wasn't hard). I never had this 'issue' since I bought the special edition which was only in English.

In part, this goes back to TV. TV shows here don't get dubbed unless they're for little kids - and I do mean for little kids; shows like The Simpsons, MacGyver and The A-Team are already above that line, and are broadcast with subtitles here. So in other words, when faced with a game in which the EVA and unit voices are translated... we feel like we're being treated like babies.

And, we learn other languages easily. After more than a decade of just getting our games in English, we don't need translations anymore. It's really that simple. I learned English in part through these video games, so now it would feel weird to have that same content in Dutch.

Another big part, especially in voice translations, is the large difference between the Netherlands' Dutch and Belgium's Flemish. Technically, the two are one language, but in reality, well... I'm Flemish Belgian, and when I hear something in Netherlands-Dutch I sure don't get the feeling they are giving me content in my own language. Disney figured this out a while back, and most animated movies nowadays get translated separately for Flanders, but this distinction is still lost on game developers... in part, as I said, due to the fact that a large part of the Flemish/Dutch target audience doesn't want translations from English in the first place.

17 hours ago, Nyerguds said:

In fact, seems Hungarian Google Translate pronounces my name perfectly! :D

It's amazing, actually. You come up with something at random, and then you realize that it actually means something somewhere and the meaning itself makes sense. That's what I call a lucky hit right there! :D 

Regarding the Dutch translations: that's fascinating. I told you already that I'm an interpreter, which means that learning stuff like this is something I enjoy greatly (I spend lots of time just reading about different, sometimes even obscure languages on Wikipedia). I know another country which has a somewhat similar mindset when it comes to translations: Poland. They translate stuff aimed at kids (or, the stuff they *think* is aimed at kids), and simply put subtitles on everything else if necessary. So, you get cartoons dubbed in Polish, and pretty much everything else that's not a cartoon / kids movie is shown in English with Polish subtitles. However, they do translate and sometimes even dub video games. Some of their translations even involved Polish TV and radio stars. But generally speaking, the vast majority of Poles dislikes translations and dubs and prefers the original versions. 

Here where I live, it's somewhat different. As you might know, most Ukrainians know and speak both Ukrainian and Russian, which means that our audience is capable of consuming products in both languages. However, there are more Russian language products than Ukrainian language ones. The main reason for that is that there are way more Russian speaking people out there around the world, so you get everything that's made in Russia + everything that's made in Belarus + everything that's made in Kazakhstan, etc. In those countries, usage of the language of state (which is mostly Russian across the board) is an order, not a suggestion. And that order is strictly enforced. In Ukraine, where there's only one state language - Ukrainian, this order is more of a suggestion instead. While Russian government does everything in its power to ensure Russian language's domination in and out, Ukrainian government does nothing at all to combat their actions. 

We translate and dub movies, cartoons, TV shows, etc officially, yes. But there's simply no such thing as "official Ukrainian translation" when it comes to 90% of software or video games, that market is dominated by Russian language. This leads to a very interesting situation - people of Ukraine usually don't like Russian translations of the said media, because they are often faulty and not precise. On the other hand, Ukrainian translations are valued highly, because they're few and far between, and are usully done by fans, meaning that the amount of extra care that goes into them is doubled, it's not just something a random dude made up in a studio because he was paid to do so, it's something a group of genuinely passionate people created knowingly and out of their own volition. Which is exactly what we're trying to do here with Tiberian Dawn. A project like this would never be commercially successful. If we were to look at what we're doing from a more pragmatic standpoint, it'd be possible to call it useless, a waste of time.

But we're not looking for profit here. We're not trying to prove anything to anyone. We're doing this because we love what we're doing. In the end, it'll be a drop in the ocean of Ukrainian culture. Perhaps a tiny one, insignificant from someone's point of view, a waste of time and effort. But for others, it'll all be worth it. Even if only 10 people download this translation and try it, we'll be happy. It'll also be a chance for those few people to re-experience their childhood memories or try a really awesome game for the very first time. And we'll be happy for them as well. 

3 minutes ago, Lilly Blanche said:

If we were to look at what we're doing from a more pragmatic standpoint, it'd be possible to call it useless, a waste of time.

Well, the same thing could more or less be said for my whole patch. Without the patch, very few people would still care about the game, so it just created its own worth, more or less :P

5 minutes ago, Lilly Blanche said:

But we're not looking for profit here. We're not trying to prove anything to anyone. We're doing this because we love what we're doing. In the end, it'll be a drop in the ocean of Ukrainian culture. Perhaps a tiny one, insignificant from someone's point of view, a waste of time and effort. But for others, it'll all be worth it. Even if only 10 people download this translation and try it, we'll be happy. It'll also be a chance for those few people to re-experience their childhood memories or try a really awesome game for the very first time. And we'll be happy for them as well. 

Exactly! It's all a labour of love. I can't even read Ukrainian, but I'm happy I can contribute to something if it can make C&C more accessible to people :)

5 hours ago, Nyerguds said:

Well, the same thing could more or less be said for my whole patch. Without the patch, very few people would still care about the game, so it just created its own worth, more or less

This reminds me Nyer, you said you can't increase the maximum map size to 128x128 which is sad, but I was admiring your lovely SNOW theatre which you brought in from Red Alert, and I was wondering if you might be able to bring in the more diverse Temperate tileset from Red Alert too, mainly the river tiles (entering/exiting caves) and the shore tiles, with which we could make so many more visually interesting and tactically diverse maps. :D

Edited by nariac