$300 payout for ladders, badges, and clan support

aWarNoob1

On 4/22/2017 at 1:04 PM, XXxPrePxX said:

Man, the money is there!!! :P:P $400 isn't chump change!

Yep, especially for me. I was selling oranges and jumping on windshields from the side of the road for 2 years to make what i got today.

Edited by aWarNoob1
  • Upvote 1

Hifi should do it just to piss Olaf off :D (jst kidding, Olaf's alright).

What about the rest of the CnCNet team? I'm sure Nyerguds, FunkyFr3sh or Rampastring could look into the YR code (matrix-style :P) and reverse the hell out of it if they wanted to, and make bots that match players and randomize maps and so on, or some other solution. I'm aware I'm making it sound a lot easier than it is, but if they wanted to do it, from what we've seen around here, they more than likely can. I'll even match the above offer and add another $400usd to it ffs :D ... seriously.

So any takers? $800usd can make your wife/girlfriend/(boyfriend?) very happy; an expensive date, or new shoes, or jewelry, or another Louis fucking Vuitton wallet... :D

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, XXxPrePxX said:

Damn man, I should start posting it around school in the computer science room, $800 to the programmer who can succesfully get a ladder working!

It might work.

I did CS a while back and if I remember correctly, reverse engineering was never taught (maybe it's changed now though, I'm not sure, but I doubt it). But hey, maybe some of them do/study it in their spare time so... why not! But I think you should ask the CnCNet team for permission first.

Edited by fir3w0rx
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Grant said:

Ladder requires:

1. API to handle game results, and  accounts.

2. A quickmatch client 

3. Main Client updates to integrate with quickmatch client, and accounts.

4. Website for ladder.

Number 2 I can't do.

Grant do you have a paypal account we could deposit some cash into? Even if you could do 1,3,4 that'd be good. Do we even need a quick match client to get the ladders up and running? Btw, I just paid some bills so i could probably only throw in 100 but i could try and give the rest in  2 weeks from now.

4 hours ago, fir3w0rx said:

Rampastring

My programming experience is limited to desktop applications and games for the most part. And while I have some website coding and server-side service programming experience, Grant is likely far better at that stuff, especially since my server-side experience is from platforms that the CnCNet website and other services do not run on. And that means that out of Grant's list, alone I could only do #3.

Hacking YR itself wouldn't be a problem, but those hacks would be useless without a server-side service that would handle the game results, pair players for quick match etc. (depending on the implementation of the quick match feature, of course)

Edited by Rampastring
  • Upvote 1

On 26/04/2017 at 11:49 AM, Grant said:

Ladder requires:

1. API to handle game results, and  accounts.

2. A quickmatch client 

4. Website for ladder.

Number 2 I can't do.

I'm sure you've already thought of this, but would it be worth "just" building a clan ladder instead?  No need for a qm function that way and people can always do 1v1 clans if they so wish 

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Chandler said:

I'm sure you've already thought of this, but would it be worth "just" building a clan ladder instead?  No need for a qm function that way and people can always do 1v1 clans if they so wish 

That's what I was trying to get at with my 'alternative ladder' concept (thread posted in this subforum).

It would take away #2 from being used. I would imagine #1 would be designed to put people into clans.

To me, that ladder would be sufficient enough for competitive gaming again. Yeah, it wouldn't have the amazing concept of randomized matching, but it would allow people to 1on1, 2on2, 3on3, 4on4 in competitive terms, and that's cool enough for a while.

• Upvote 1

The quickmatch client was an idea to make things easier, it's a lot more work without it.

I already had the ladder running for ra1 and ts, main problems were:

1. Sending additional commands adds more delay, each command adds 3 seconds. (you can already notice the delay now without the ladder, it will get much worse..)

A quickmatch client would solve this issue, since it will be a separate application without global chat and no limitations.

2. It's difficult to verify who is actually logged in or not, someone could pretend to be another guy and send fake game results to the server. This probably can be solved but requires even more commands to be send over the server (see 1.)

3. If players can choose against who they play it will end up with a lot problems, they will just refuse to play against good players to avoid losses and everyone will complain.

A quickmatch client would solve this issue too, the server will choose based on your rating against who you play (names are hidden so you can't bail, you don't know against who you play).

I won't work on a ladder again if it ends up being the same mess again like last time, for me a quickmatch client is a must.

• Upvote 4

You say a quickmatch client is a must. But i'm hearing we dont have a way to aquire a quickmatch client. So it sounds to me like this is a hurdle we cannot get over.

Basically for 2 years this has had a "not looking good" feel to it..  i think people just want a definitive answer...even if the answer is that a proper ladder is not possible.

I dont know enough about the coding/programming side of things to even make educated guesses as to what needs or not to happen. I only need to know if there's something the community can do financially to aid the progress of this, or if it simply cannot and will not be done.

In other words..."give it to me straight Doc"

1. Yes the ladder is possible. It was proven to be possible back when we had a beta up on the site (for those that remember). 
    In @FunkyFr3shs client RA & TS had client support for ladder games, where you would create a ladder game and play. We turned the ladder offline due to excessive bailing, some issues it was having in general and if I remember correctly, it was just a POC/BETA anyway. 

2. YR never saw this functionality. It did however eventually send stats from players in the background, and that worked up to a point. 

3. IMO a ladder is possible if everyone comes together in the team and works on it for a few months. However people already have a lot to do and look after. You have to look after the clients, the games themselves too, maintain the websites, tunnels, forums, people asking for help etc. Introducing a ladder to an already maxed out team produces a lot more stress. If this was our full time job, we'd be done in a couple of weeks, but it's not unfortunately!

TLDR: Yes but it's finding a time everyone can work on it at once.

Below is who we need on what:

Ladder requires:

1. API to handle game results, and accounts.
    Required: Stats parsing required: ( @hifi or @Tahj )
    PHP API - @Grant
    OR USE @Tahjs existing API and skip above (Depends on the below?)

2. A quickmatch client 
    Required: @FunkyFr3sh or @Rampastring 

Required: @Grant or @dkeeton or @Rampastring and for RA/TS - @FunkyFr3sh

4. Website for ladder.
    Required: @Grant

Just to make it clear, the quickmatch client is only a must for me (in case I would start working on a ladder again). Anyone else could come up with a better idea if they have one and do it another way.

The fact you guys are willing to donate is cool though, maybe someone is getting motivated to do it.

For me it's not very motivating though, I already dislike the title of this thread "badges, and clan support...". I don't even want to think about these two features when we don't even have the plain 1v1 quickmatch ladder ready. Clan and badges should come after we have a stable 1vs1 ladder.

The quickmatch client would be simple, it's not too much work I guess. But we don't have the server part done for it either, we need something where you can register for a quickmatch and the server will find the matching opponent (Didn't really think about how this part is going to work yet TBH...)

• Upvote 2

The quick match client application and its integration into the main client itself would be simple. But I can't do the server part myself. And based on the rest of the CnCNet team's prior experience with the ladder that had no quick match, it wouldn't work. So a quick match client is necessary for me as well.

Tbh I'm personally not interested in these features (ladder, clans, badges). However, with some donations I could consider working on them (for the games that use my client; that means YR, MO, DTA and TI). But the quick match client with a working 1v1 ladder needs to be done first, because without that, clans and badges would be useless (or at least they couldn't be utilized to their full functionality).

Edited by Rampastring
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Rampastring said:

The quick match client application and its integration into the main client itself would be simple. But I can't do the server part myself. And based on the rest of the CnCNet team's prior experience with the ladder that had no quick match, it wouldn't work. So a quick match client is necessary for me as well.

Tbh I'm personally not interested in these features (ladder, clans, badges). However, with some donations I could consider working on them (for the games that use my client; that means YR, MO, DTA and TI). But the quick match client with a working 1v1 ladder needs to be done first, because without that, clans and badges would be useless (or at least they couldn't be utilized to their full functionality).

Ok, so you're able to create the quickmatch(qm) client as well as integrate it with the main game client. But can the qm client be created FIRST, and then afterwards the rest of the qm system? If so, how much $$$ will it take to get things rolling? We can talk in private if you prefer.

Long story short:

QM Client + Integration with Game Client(s) = $(insert dollar figure here)

• Upvote 1

The quickmatch server needs to be created or at least the quickmatch protocol specification designed before a client for it can be made. And the server part I can't do myself.

Basically, like FunkyFr3sh said, there should be a server that registered players would contact via the client and the server would then match players of fitting skill levels with each other and return the information about the game settings, opponent's address / tunnel server address etc. back to the client, that would then start the actual game.

Edited by Rampastring
  • Upvote 1