Sign in to follow this  
chem

Is defending more effective than attack or vice versa?

Generally speaking.

Because if you defend you have a production time advantage ie you get to build for as long as it takes their units to get to your base.  Thats advantage number 1 ie more units. Advantage number 2 is your units are already in a good defensive stationary position, where as they have to move to your group with their group, which tends to get a few tanks killed off before they then start firing back and its usually from a weaker spread too.

So is it a wise tactic for 2 tankers going at it for the 1st guy to merely defend defend defend until all the rush has died and they have fewer tanks or too few and then you counter strike?

Or does attacking have its own advantages which are much greater than the defensive advantages?

Depends who you're playing and which map.

But generally speaking,  if you successfully defend a rush, you'll have a significant tank count advantage on the counter and should win the game. 

• Upvote 1

Red Alert?
"Fair" map?
1 v 1?

I prefer the LT rush.
Your opponent is exactly on the other side of the map. No need for scouting. Target CY and/or P. Ignore tanks and infantry.

Just get:
P, R, W (LT spam), R, P, R

Medium sized maps, I prefer to roll out with a minimum of 4.
Large sized maps, I prefer to roll out with a minimum of 6.

On small maps? O dear, I learned the painful way that infantry are the better rushing material here.

It is basicly doing the buggy rush. But then with LT.

But there is one key, that you will need to learn to make this rush unstoppable. And that is Q!

You take waaaay less damage from tanks. And you can crush infantry.

• Upvote 1

On 9/12/2017 at 6:09 PM, X3M said:

Red Alert?
"Fair" map?
1 v 1?

I prefer the LT rush.
Your opponent is exactly on the other side of the map. No need for scouting. Target CY and/or P. Ignore tanks and infantry.

Just get:

On small maps? O dear, I learned the painful way that infantry are the better rushing material here.

But there is one key, that you will need to learn to make this rush unstoppable. And that is Q!

Thanks bro when I used to play ra1 I tried that also but I found light tanks didnt work because after you nailed their conyard and war factory etc they do the same wto you with hevaies, and then after they take your base they still have a few heavy tanks enough to decimate your light tanks so they end up winning, I found heavy tanks the best for a rush, if I remember correctly you only need 2 perhaps 3 and q tip , how do you take out their remaining tanks if you only have light tanks?

On 9/12/2017 at 1:48 AM, NDiaz said:

Depends who you're playing and which map.

But generally speaking,  if you successfully defend a rush, you'll have a significant tank count advantage on the counter and should win the game. 

Would you say its harder to defend but superior? It takes more skill and micro control to defend but if both are done well defending is superior ? Unless its base creeping?

Edited by chem

being aggressive is better than defending

Edited by DoDger

If you execute it properly. By the time you destroyed their CY (and they panic!) You should have clicked for more LT. Or MT. By that time, you have like 9 more or so. They won't have those tanks.

Of course, your army should not be dead yet with Q. So, they can take out the WF of your opponent as well. Or you target his tanks instead. Still using Q. In THAT time, you are still building tanks.

It is a matter of speed. And the attacker has an advantage for sure.

If you are building up your base while attacking. Make sure you Q like 5 to 6 times. Some decent distance. Press H and place your structure. Then go to your group by pressing 1? And press F. You are like 2 seconds away. And the Q is done.

Sometimes, when dealing with a sovjet player. I click farther away with Q. So the heavy tanks follow and are behind. It annoys them as well.

WARNING!! If you spot a radar dome. He is building tesla coils. Target his power instead. Absolutely no power slows him down so much, it is often more effective too.

2 hours ago, X3M said:

If you execute it properly. By the time you destroyed their CY (and they panic!) You should have clicked for more LT. Or MT. By that time, you have like 9 more or so. They won't have those tanks.

Of course, your army should not be dead yet with Q. So, they can take out the WF of your opponent as well. Or you target his tanks instead. Still using Q. In THAT time, you are still building tanks.

It is a matter of speed. And the attacker has an advantage for sure.

If you are building up your base while attacking. Make sure you Q like 5 to 6 times. Some decent distance. Press H and place your structure. Then go to your group by pressing 1? And press F. You are like 2 seconds away. And the Q is done.

Sometimes, when dealing with a sovjet player. I click farther away with Q. So the heavy tanks follow and are behind. It annoys them as well.

WARNING!! If you spot a radar dome. He is building tesla coils. Target his power instead. Absolutely no power slows him down so much, it is often more effective too.

kewl!!

interesting the complex depths of another simlar game

thanks for reply bro!

Edited by chem

2 hours ago, DoDger said:

being aggressive is better than defending

this wouldnt surprise me at all why though?

Is it because you make mistakes while defending eventually and crumble ? Its like you have the advantage defending but you never put them in any danger because you are too busy being attacked.

So at the highest level it is always best to attack even if they are attacking you?

Edited by chem

It depends on the map. Being aggressive doesn't mean being reckless with units. It means applying pressure, controlling the enemy instead of them controlling you, etc.

The best defense is a GOOD offense.

BTW don't listen to X3m, he forgot you should build a barracks, and scout the map as much as possible (and incase the enemy infantry rushes). Also radar dome isn't needed to make teslas, which again; X3M doesn't know what he's talking about. Consider asking AndrewFord for advice :)

On 9/23/2017 at 1:51 PM, cn2mc said:

While you attack you build. While they defend they lose buildings. 

smart man thankyou!!!

Edited by chem

1 hour ago, AndrewFord said:

It depends on the map. Being aggressive doesn't mean being reckless with units. It means applying pressure, controlling the enemy instead of them controlling you, etc.

BTW don't listen to X3m, he forgot you should build a barracks, and scout the map as much as possible (and incase the enemy infantry rushes). Also radar dome isn't needed to make teslas, which again; X3M doesn't know what he's talking about. Consider asking AndrewFord for advice :)

awesome thanks brother :)))

20 hours ago, AndrewFord said:

Infantry on small maps or FFA. Duh. I remember from my games with you.

I mentioned somewhere that the biggest maps ask for a rush with tanks. And since 1v1 places your opponent in the exact opposite corner. No need to scout.

Sure, I see them build infantry. I run over them!! Why do you think I choose LT above MT for something like that?

No need to scout?!? If you don't make infantry, you will lose your power plants to the enemy scouting infantry. All pros make a barracks. If you really want to test your theory you can 1v1 me, any map. Even in big maps, you make a barracks, which makes it easier to attack and defend against the enemy.

I'm arguably the best player in RA so i know what I'm talking about, trust me.

The best players obviously use infantry. They don't get them crushed.

Yes, I am really talking about no scouting. I have noticed that 1v1 on big maps. Well, they are in the exact opposite corner. Irregular maps might not have this. There, I would scout as well. But hey, it is the same map over and over again/again. And again. So, I think you understand why I bash those people the way I do.

Power is indeed the target for infantry. But not if they are crushed. And when does that happen? If there are plenty of tanks around and the player doesn't dodge.

I have my doubts about infantry on the big maps (especially the mega). But you are right regarding small and medium maps. I am not saying you are wrong in that regard.

B, Infantry, Walking across the map, lets asume, NO scouting needed. Who knows how much time there is needed?
vs
WF, LT. Time equal to build €2700.

The test is, will there be a LT around to crush the infantry?

How many barracks do you suggest on big maps?

If I see you, or you me. Message!
You have showed me how to play on the smallest maps any way. :) There we get infantry, no doubt.

u make 1 barracks on all maps that you can traverse mostly on land.

As far as time is concerned, you forgot ref+war+LT which is 4700, and one LT cannot reliably stop 10 infantry killing your powers.

You should always scout with infantry on all maps regardless (unless you can't travel by land), so you can react to a potential tank rush or see if the enemy is CYing. If you SEE the enemy tanks coming you can meet them half way and killing them en route with Q. Not to mention the ability to create an engineer and fully repair your almost dead CY. It's not about just finding where their base is, its about finding where their units are.

O yeah, B doesn't need Ref. Silly me.

I stand corrected.

But honestly, more people should learn that. I am always dealing with players that DIE when I rush in with my 6 LT.

On 9/22/2017 at 10:21 AM, chem said:

Would you say its harder to defend but superior? It takes more skill and micro control to defend but if both are done well defending is superior ? Unless its base creeping?

Different players on different maps prefer different tactics, but I wouldn't say 1 is harder than the other. It's best to be good at both strategies, along with a mix of both. If you understand how to defend, your attacking will improve and vice versa. 

On 9/23/2017 at 1:51 PM, cn2mc said:

While you attack you build. While they defend they lose buildings. 

While they defend, they don't necessary lose buildings. Engineers for example can be used to prevent that.

On 9/12/2017 at 6:09 PM, X3M said:

Red Alert?
"Fair" map?
1 v 1?

I prefer the LT rush.

Just get:

X3M's light tank rush is a strategy to keep in your arsenal, and it was very effective in the past to quickly earn ladder points. The surprise factor can still sometimes quickly win you the game, but expect to be countered if you use it in a rematch! (Tesla's kill lights with 1 zap and engineers are hard to run over.)