chem

Why do the most pants maps catch on as the favourites and stay around forever?

Seriously I find this amusing but also it is probably a bad thing for the game/cnc.net. If we understand how it happens we can better solve it or extinguish it IF people think thats a good idea.

I find as a person that does this myself one of the perpetrators of crappy map syndrome, my 3 reasons are as follows.

1) The map is incredible fun to play despite it being as ugly as a mule, or unbalanced or made by a 5 year old etc

2) You develop skill thats map specific, which results in more wins on that map which results in you playing the map more because wins are more fun than losses.

3) Comfort zone. You have a particular way of playing its easy for you, automatic, comfortable you are good at it, it causes you slight stress to go to a map that tests you.

So thats why I perpetuate maps like circle and hjk, and I think its why maps like p4 are still going strong. 

So I think the key is

1) Dont let these maps get started.

2) If they do get started, edit the map to make it pretty, or balanced etc without moving people away from their comfort zone or map specific skill. (even doing this is problematic at getting them to shift)

This is also why good maps like arena valley can also be contagious ie its both fun to play and good looking so its caught on now and thats a good thing because its a good map, especially compared to p4.

So has anyone attempted to give p4 an upgrade, so it not only plays the same but gives the players good eye candy too?

Why do you think such ugly maps stay? What do you think would be a good solution? Do you think we should intervene at all?

Edited by chem

9 minutes ago, chem said:

2) If they do get started, edit the map to make it pretty, or balanced etc without moving people away from their comfort zone or map specific skill. (even doing this is problematic at getting them to shift)

So you want to change all of Whites maps? Come on, dont be so offensive to ppl, who want and maybe need to play in their comfort zone. Make simply good, fair and better maps; as you do and did again and again.

5 minutes ago, Syrianrefugeeengineer said:

So you want to change all of Whites maps? Come on, dont be so offensive to ppl, who want and maybe need to play in their comfort zone. Make simply good, fair and better maps; as you do and did again and again.

Lol we all do it to a certain extent I do too, I try to vary my maps up for skill though.

• Haha 1

On 1/18/2018 at 4:37 AM, Syrianrefugeeengineer said:

Nothing comfortable about it:
https://forums.cncnet.org/topic/8062-understanding-map-design/

• Confused 1

Sorry, maybe I should have elaborated... I clearly show how to use aggression in the way my maps are designed. And even have deliberately made them harder and harder defensively.

I think that's all I need to say. The rest is outlined pretty thoroughly in the post. Feel free to ask questions. I hope this dispels the myth that I made maps to create some sort of 'easy mode' for myself. Because that was never my intention, nor do I think it's 'easy' to play GDI on such maps.

If you don't believe me, feel free to play GDI and select test them.

• Upvote 1

On 1/17/2018 at 3:37 PM, Syrianrefugeeengineer said:

come back pence,  u can have ur tenth attempt for a win

Lol. Sorry that i was angry, but i hate it, if a game sucks. And it sucked. I was two times faster than you and had more units and you won simply by force firing with the units. How dumb are they? And dont forget: The count for this week is highly in my favourite, you even gave up using GDI.

Then your trolling; i didnt believe you attack me from the side you where. And you even won!

Despite that, you grapped me at my balls. Wp from you, grrrr. I shouldnt forget that you are still way better than i am... I make a fool out of me, if i think otherwise.

But its not losing against you, thats ok. Its just these annoying things like harvesters, which stand their and do nothing. I hate it! Sorry that i yelled at you for it; you played well.

I acted like a stupid, liberal child. I got my punishment.

Edited by Syrianrefugeeengineer
  • Haha 1

Love the passion u guys have for the game, back in the Westwood days as all the players were slowly leaving I could only pray for other players who shared my love for the game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BluySY said:

Love the passion u guys have for the game, back in the Westwood days as all the players were slowly leaving I could only pray for other players who shared my love for the game.

Now you have 50 of us, be careful what you wish for bro xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• Haha 1