How to make RA2 & YR maps - Final Alert 2 Tutorial

[CC] RaVaGe

• 2 months later...

Edit the rendered map preview image in an image editor > convert to a map preview with XCC mixer > Insert preview text into map file via notepad?
You can also use the Author= tag under the [Basic] Section of a map, which gets displayed in cncnet.

Open other maps and check the file with notepad or in the map editor to find out how others do things.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
11 minutes ago, [a]WarZiLLa said:

You can find it under Structures, you will have to power it (if it requires power).

omg, ty, didn't think about that because i never saw extra power plants in custom maps, guess they just hide them outside of the map.

• 2 months later...
On 3/15/2018 at 10:14 PM, RaVaGe said:

posted image

To find the "Ore Mines"  expand the "Terrain Objects" section.
To place them just click on the menu item and move your cursor to the desired location.

Due to the Ore Mine acting like a building the ore behind it should be erased as it will be inaccessible by miners.
Use the "Erase Single Field" option from the "Erase Overlay" menu.

Note that the Ore Mines will only regenerate Ore and not gems.

Whats the difference between ore mines? (TIBTRE 01, 02 ,03)

Edited by CCCP84

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/30/2019 at 12:45 PM, Oday said:

Hello 

i have this problem 

i cant get the rendered image to appear in the cncnet client how to fix this problem 

thnx

You need to insert the map preview into the map, by resizing the rendered image to be small, check map file with notepad to see preview size for reference, then convert the map preview to TS map preview with XCC mixer and copy the resulting text into your map file with notepad.

• 5 weeks later...

@RaVaGe  do you have any experience running final alert 2 in wine?  (Or know anyone who might do?)

I just tried to work through your (really excellent - thanks so much for taking the time to explain) tutorial.  My version running in wine is *almost* working perfectly.  The only 2 things I'm seeing that are different seem to be:

- Ground based-details (e.g. natural looking sand, dark grass etc) are not correctly shown within the editor, only once the map is rendered.  Its quite annoying not having an accurate preview of the terrain within the editor, especially as the editor version is so much uglier than rendered.

- Some metallic textures look incorrect within the editor, again they all seem to fine when rendered.  This is almost a non-issue but I wondered if it might be related.

I'm hoping maybe either of these issues is something someone in the community might recognize.

Example, in editor:

editor.thumb.png.9fda5aaefe96f21056e2b84f3ff77127.png

Example, endered:

rendered.thumb.png.0105797a14dc8cdd95ecc9583e3477ab.png

I don't have a dual boot machine, only Linux so can't try it in true Windows, where I assume it would work fine.  I have a Windows 7 virtual machine installed but it actually runs final alert much worse than wine - I have no map appearing at all, despite the mini-map displaying correctly.

Edited by thehug0naut
To complement the OP on a great tutorial

@thehug0naut

Try using the ddraw.dll posted in the first post, not sure if it will load in Wine, but worth a shot.
Copy it into the Final Alert 2 directory.

The 'metallic' texture you mentioned is the remap colour which changes based on player colour.
It is displayed correctly in the map editor. The game and the map renderer just render it differently.

Added Useful Add-ons to the first post, which include a set of scripts for Final Alert 2 that automate some common map modifications.
The download includes the following scripts and a README file with instructions on how to install and use the scripts.

• Enhanced Lighting System
  • Disable Naval Yards
  • Set Map Author

Download in the first post of this thread.