New TS-DDraw release (Tiberian Sun / Red Alert 2 / Yuri's Revenge)

FunkyFr3sh

Looking for testers for a new release of TS-DDraw. 

Download: https://github.com/CnCNet/ts-ddraw/releases

Should work for Tiberian Sun, Red Alert 2 and Yuri's Revenge. 

For all those who don't know TS-DDraw, this is what it can do: 

Working windowed mode without having to change windows to 16bit 

Makes the game running smooth on Windows XP / 7 / 8 / 10  and wine (Need testers for Vista!) 

Can fix black screens, invisible menus and other issues

ddraw.zip

• Like 1

About to boot it up rn, i'll report back in a bit.

ALSO, I know i've been asking around alot about my game overflowing the screen, it's something to do with hdmi, so for now i just set my second monitor (VGA) to be the primary display and the games fit fine. Thanks.

After 10 minutes of play: Very smooth, very very nice. Only Issue I've seen so far is that if you save, the save window kind of glitches out and you can see through it, and then the menu becomes invisible, you can still click resume game and everything is fine after.

Edited by LivesParkk

5 hours ago, LivesParkk said:

About to boot it up rn, i'll report back in a bit.

ALSO, I know i've been asking around alot about my game overflowing the screen, it's something to do with hdmi, so for now i just set my second monitor (VGA) to be the primary display and the games fit fine. Thanks.

After 10 minutes of play: Very smooth, very very nice. Only Issue I've seen so far is that if you save, the save window kind of glitches out and you can see through it, and then the menu becomes invisible, you can still click resume game and everything is fine after.

thanks for testing!

Good to hear you finally got the problem solved, I had no idea what it was about, you were the first one to report something like this.

I noticed the bug with the save/load menu too, but it happens with the other renderers too. I guess the game itself needs to get patched to fix that one.

Updated to 1.1.1.0: dkeeton made a faster scaling (e.g. for the cutscenes)

Updated to 1.1.2.0

- Improved scaling performance
- Fixed color issues on main menu (OpenGL + RA2 / YR)
- Cursor is now locked in windowed mode and can be unlocked by opening the menu or pressing [Ctrl]+[Tab] or [RCtrl]+[RAlt]
- Window can now be closed by pressing the X button or via taskbar menu
- Fix for invisilbe menus on focus loss or window move
- Fix for invisible menu on Load/Save/Delete (Tiberian Sun)
- Fixed a GDI handle leak
- Mouse will now be centered to the window on maxmize
- Window is now centered to the screen in windowed mode
- Fix for invisible menus on [Alt]+[Tab] (RA2 / YR)
- Few other random fixes...

This could be the last release of the OpenGL version, not sure how much longer I want to keep it alive. The GDI version is a lot better.

Game performance seems fine, however in-game menu performance is still rubbish.

Whenever groups of players use the in-game alliance option the menus lag the game to a crawl in the first minute, also due to that lag, it will often take several seconds for the menu to register a click causing some players to spam the alliance checkbox making matters worse.

4 hours ago, FReQuEnZy said:

The old one used to speed up Final Alert 2 performance as well, the new ones (1.1.2.0) makes it crash!

Are you talking about the one you linked here? https://forums.cncnet.org/topic/8245-how-to-make-ra2-yr-maps-final-alert-2-tutorial/

This is not TS-DDraw, I have no idea what wrapper it is either

4 hours ago, FReQuEnZy said:

Game performance seems fine, however in-game menu performance is still rubbish.

Whenever groups of players use the in-game alliance option the menus lag the game to a crawl in the first minute, also due to that lag, it will often take several seconds for the menu to register a click causing some players to spam the alliance checkbox making matters worse.

Oh, didn't know about this one yet, will do some tests later. thanks

Edit: You tested OpenGL or GDI? GDI is a lot beter, OpenGL will be dropped soon I think (not 100% sure yet)

Also, I'm not sure if you can just put that in your folder, the YR client may remove the file (or replace with the older one), please double check if the file is still the same after the game

5 hours ago, FunkyFr3sh said:

Are you talking about the one you linked here? https://forums.cncnet.org/topic/8245-how-to-make-ra2-yr-maps-final-alert-2-tutorial/

This is not TS-DDraw, I have no idea what wrapper it is either

Oh, didn't know about this one yet, will do some tests later. thanks

Edit: You tested OpenGL or GDI? GDI is a lot beter, OpenGL will be dropped soon I think (not 100% sure yet)

Also, I'm not sure if you can just put that in your folder, the YR client may remove the file (or replace with the older one), please double check if the file is still the same after the game

That should be TS DDraw as I copied it from the client's resources folder and it was named "ts_ddraw.dll". It gets renamed upon copying to client's main dir during run time. Which you already know...

Though it is what comes with the client.

I read the posts and saw you worshipped the GDI version over the NOD one, so I used that one first.

However the GDI version made FA2 crash so I immediately tried the OGL version to same results regrettably.

Why drop OGL, think about the Linux and Mac players! :P

I replaced the "ts_ddraw.dll" in the resources folder, so the client should copy it over automatically without issue.

Though I noticed that during online play the client doesn't give the modified files warning, which means it would be possible to load custom dlls into the client like this and no one would know.

Phone posting so sorry about the shitty structure.

Edited by FReQuEnZy

1 hour ago, FReQuEnZy said:

That should be TS DDraw as I copied it from the client's resources folder and it was named "ts_ddraw.dll". It gets renamed upon copying to client's main dir during run time. Which you already know...

Though it is what comes with the client.

I just checked, there is a file named "ddraw_nohw.dll" with 40kb of size like yours, it's not ts-ddraw, no idea what it is. I guess Rampastring knows it

Why drop OGL, think about the Linux and Mac players! :P

No worries about that, both are tested on Wine, there is very little difference in performance.

OpenGL version is not as highly compatible as the GDI one, so there is not too much use for it

16 minutes ago, FunkyFr3sh said:

OpenGL version is not as highly compatible as the GDI one, so there is not too much use for it

Then there's no reason to continue it!

17 minutes ago, FunkyFr3sh said:

I just checked, there is a file named "ddraw_nohw.dll" with 40kb of size like yours, it's not ts-ddraw, no idea what it is. I guess Rampastring knows it

Weird, I play with ts-ddraw set in game client (renderer) settings and I was 100% certain it's the same.

I can confirm that in YR there is no noticeable in game performance and the in game options and alliance menus are worse than before.

One-time the game nearly froze indefinitely.

I've had cases with the previous version of TS DDraw where my game just closes after a few seconds of opening the in game menu.

I can confirm that in YR there is no noticeable in game performance and the in game options and alliance menus are worse than before.

One-time the game nearly froze indefinitely.

I've had cases with the previous version of TS DDraw where my game just closes after a few seconds of opening the in game menu.

Didn't look into the menus yet, does it actually happen in skirmish too? I guess it should happen, except it's a bug not related to the rendering.

All old versions of TS-DDraw had a bug with the menus that caused a leak, the more time you were spending in the menus the higher the chance for a failure. Game could become slow or glitch/close

1.1.2.0 doesn't have this bug anymore

1 hour ago, FunkyFr3sh said:

Didn't look into the menus yet, does it actually happen in skirmish too?

It does have slow performance in skirmish options menu as well, in multiplayer the slow performance doubles up due to the game trying to stay in sync.

1 hour ago, FunkyFr3sh said:

All old versions of TS-DDraw had a bug with the menus that caused a leak, the more time you were spending in the menus the higher the chance for a failure. Game could become slow or glitch/close

1.1.2.0 doesn't have this bug anymore

Well, I can confirm that it's worse in multiplayer than the TS-DDRAW that I had with the client. 
The performance drop is more sudden.

So I tested the GDI version online with my opponent having it in his game dir and the menus were snappy for me, however, whenever my opponent went into the menus the game got massive lag spikes and he also said that it froze a  'bit'.

His System:

• CPU i5
  • RAM 8GB
  • GPU Nvidia GTX 1050Ti

19 hours ago, FReQuEnZy said:

So I tested the GDI version online with my opponent having it in his game dir and the menus were snappy for me, however, whenever my opponent went into the menus the game got massive lag spikes and he also said that it froze a  'bit'.

His System:

• CPU i5
  • RAM 8GB
  • GPU Nvidia GTX 1050Ti

You sure he really had the GDI version and the client didn't overwrite it?

New release, 1.1.3.0

- New hotkey combo [Ctrl]+[R] to enable a FPS overlay (Shows real rendering rate)

- Allow the renderer to slow the framerate down when the user's PC can't handle 60fps

- Windows XP support

Now all changes were added to hifis old repo on github: https://github.com/CnCNet/ts-ddraw

I added project files for Visual Studio to the repo, the new version was compiled with Visual Studio 2017

The OpenGL version is dead - R.I.P.

2 hours ago, FunkyFr3sh said:

You sure he really had the GDI version and the client didn't overwrite it?

I can't be 100% certain, as I didn't install it for him myself.
He did, however, say that he followed my instructions to the letter when I asked him to make sure after he told me about the issue.

3 hours ago, FunkyFr3sh said:

I added a ddraw.zip to the first post for you

thank u!!!! it works well in win10, and YR can run backround when u minimize the window. my friends says it works lag in win7.

On 4/20/2018 at 12:19 PM, samoer said:

thank u!!!! it works well in win10, and YR can run backround when u minimize the window. my friends says it works lag in win7.

Yes, you can minimize the game with ts-ddraw and there are no issues :D

So if I understood this correctly, for you friend on windows 7 it doesn't work well, the game runs slow? (it lags?)

9 minutes ago, Jezebel said:

Could it be possible to add framerate limiting options? My scrollspeed in Tiberian Sun is still lightning fast with this new version.

You can do that with TSpatch: https://forums.cncnet.org/topic/2606-tiberian-sun-patches-fix-for-the-windows-8-10-menu-problems-and-more/

It will slow your scroll down, the confg tool in TSpatch wasn't updated with the new TS-DDraw yet but you can get it here already http://downloads.cncnet.org/addons/ts-config.7z

• Like 1