Who is the best player ever?

Kikematamitos

For Ra2, as some pros said, probably it was moon3 and Latof. But unfortunately, moon3 has retired. For YR, maybe Gaoke is the best now, the second best is CsOH. CsOH said he is a little better than Marko hahaaaa. 

One important thing is that every pro has their fortes, the best is just the general situation. 

Edited by Lockon

• 3 weeks later...

Joe even though I love auf, it went downhill a lot after xwis started, but it isn't even top 10 of all time anyway.

From what I remember, ba and omerta were the top 2 xwis/xcl clans and wol it was a whole different story. They'd be in the top almost every month but then clans like judges/dru1dz/bbw/auf/etc would get rank 1/2 a bit pretty often.

As far as players go, prep is a pretty good judge imo since he's been around for so long. Most of the old pros are long gone, but even if they did play now there are long gaps of perhaps a decade since they played. Tomi imo is the best ever based on sheer rank 1/2 when all the top players played. He would be rank 1 on yr and ra2 in the same month multiple times a year. Perhaps later on he bailed as matt said, but I don't remember him bailing anyone when I played 01-07.

The only issue with prep is he wasn't a top player in 01-03 so I cant image he'd know too many of the early players. You'd really have to play from start to finish as a semi-top player to know. Prep is about as close as it gets so I'd agree with him.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
On 1/11/2019 at 11:23 AM, [AuF]Mindwar said:

Joe even though I love auf, it went downhill a lot after xwis started, but it isn't even top 10 of all time anyway.

From what I remember, ba and omerta were the top 2 xwis/xcl clans and wol it was a whole different story. They'd be in the top almost every month but then clans like judges/dru1dz/bbw/auf/etc would get rank 1/2 a bit pretty often.

As far as players go, prep is a pretty good judge imo since he's been around for so long. Most of the old pros are long gone, but even if they did play now there are long gaps of perhaps a decade since they played. Tomi imo is the best ever based on sheer rank 1/2 when all the top players played. He would be rank 1 on yr and ra2 in the same month multiple times a year. Perhaps later on he bailed as matt said, but I don't remember him bailing anyone when I played 01-07.

The only issue with prep is he wasn't a top player in 01-03 so I cant image he'd know too many of the early players. You'd really have to play from start to finish as a semi-top player to know. Prep is about as close as it gets so I'd agree with him.

I didn't want to bump this too hard (or get into the millionth fruitless discussion about 'best ever'), but just a little correction:

--BA-- wasn't actually all that big on XWIS; most of the clans reputation was established from the first generation of players who were absolutely dominant on WOL (burner, breznov (the real one, not the one on here now :P), downdariv, vegeta, etc.). The fact that we had the majority of top players in the game is what allowed the --BA-- name to carry on through to XWIS after the WW Forums closed (everyone went to C-S, DGNF, --BA-- forums and Om3rta forums, kind of cementing the legend) and it's from those forums that XCL / XWIS was created.

Don't get me wrong, we got our fair share of Rank 1's post-WOL, but the clan was a shadow of what it formerly was. The top-tier guys game-wide felt massively slighted by EA's complete disregard towards the community when they 1) shut down the forums, 2) stopped tending to the ladders, 3) completely stopped chat and 4) eventually shut down the server. Most of them left within a few months of the ladder pushes and blatant cheating (like pres IFVs), and didn't really care to put too much effort or time into XWIS - either because they were at that age that they just stopped really gaming competitively, or because they moved on to other titles (like WC3).

So as not to make this completely irrelevant to the OP's topic, i'd say best ever in terms of accomplishments and knowledge has to go to Tomi. But as a caveat: if you put the best ever in a series of 1v1's all at their primes (Tomi, Kane, burner, brez, downd, veg, daso, henl, and the guys today like marko, andy, latof, whoever else), i think it'd be impossible to say who actually wins, and it'd probably be somebody different every time. The peak of this game isn't as high as it is in other games, and seeing as it's been stagnant since YR's last patch over 15 years ago there really hasn't been a need to develop new strategies / tactics. Innovation ended when the patches did, unfortunately. When a game gets to that point, it becomes more and more about the tiny details, and the separation of skill becomes almost negligible. 

I also saw Sammo mentioned - and although I really liked the guy, i wouldn't put him in a 'best ever' category. The dude was really good -- at a pro level -- but if youi're talking all-time best, then i'd have to say no. For perspective: i beat him ~3-4 times, as well as pretty much everyone I played the one month i took QM seriously (including awaz, who took rank 1 that month) -- all except tomi (december 06, right before i went to bootcamp). i got two names in the top 10 that month, and one of the nicks nobody knew it was me, but swore it was w0nna or sammo. And that's not to toot my own horn, but simply show that there was another level past where I would have considered us at. Whereas we were top players, the guys up above were in a class of their own. 

Edited by Chrono69x
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/3/2018 at 2:40 PM, XXxPrePxX said:

Probably Marko with his list of credentials.

Tomislav, moon3 are popular choices as well.

Then you have Latof, Sash, w0nnapl4y, and a number of others as the next very close tier that just don't have as much longevity perhaps as Tomi or Marko. Moon3 gets the recognition for being the chinese god, but admittedly, I can't speak much more of him other then he dominated players when he played against our guys. 

This is accurate

On 12/23/2019 at 10:09 PM, Chrono69x said:

i think it'd be impossible to say who actually wins, and seeing as it's been stagnant since YR's last patch over 15 years ago there really hasn't been a need to develop new strategies / tactics. Innovation ended when the patches did, unfortunately. When a game gets to that point, it becomes more and more about the tiny details, and the separation of skill becomes almost negligible. 

Indubitably. 

On 12/23/2019 at 10:09 PM, Chrono69x said:

if you put the best ever in a series of 1v1's all at their primes (Tomi,          Kane,              burner, brez, downd, veg, daso, henl, 

some serious name dropping here my man. I mean, it was believed by some that Kane was in fact just a  myth created to scare noobs.... 20 YEARS AGO.  So at this point I think we can say he's officially beyond the limits of mere players, "best ever" or otherwise. He's actual, full-blown noob-scaring MYTH  status now bruh. 

• Like 1

On 1/23/2020 at 2:46 PM, Lucifer said:

Indubitably. 

some serious name dropping here my man. I mean, it was believed by some that Kane was in fact just a  myth created to scare noobs.... 20 YEARS AGO.  So at this point I think we can say he's officially beyond the limits of mere players, "best ever" or otherwise. He's actual, full-blown noob-scaring MYTH  status now bruh. 

Lol! I love how Kane quoted me in his signature line on S-T with that ?

I cant recall the specific context, but im pretty sure it was actually a friend of mine who didn't think Kane actually ever played, and was just a made-up name that people threw around to intimidate new players -- or something along those lines ?

Edited by Chrono69x

On 1/30/2020 at 7:02 PM, Chrono69x said:

Lol! I love how Kane quoted me in his signature line on S-T with that ?

I cant recall the specific context, but im pretty sure it was actually a friend of mine who didn't think Kane actually ever played, and was just a made-up name that people threw around to intimidate new players -- or something along those lines ?

Good times, that quote stayed there forever!

Especially after he and Aegis got banned for a while and noone obviously got to see Kane in game, but everyone still talked about him lol

• 3 years later...