Red Dawn (RA-1)

Allen262

For RA-1 You will need RA-MIXer v5.1 OR3s PCX to RTM. http://ra.afraid.org/html/downloads/utilities-2.html plus a hex editor to set the passability IE is the tile itself ,buildable, shore, water or unpassability. RA-MIXer will only work on XP and back as it is a 16 bit program. 16 bit programs won't work on Vista or Win7.

To do the converts just make the terrain into a TGA that has no palette than make that TGA to a shp using what ever palette you need. The take you new Shp and make it a PCX.  Take the PCX to a PCX to RTM that will make it to a RTM . Once I have the RTM  I have to hex edit that RTM  by hand to give it the passability.  Once all this is done give rename the .RTM to TEM or SNO.

As you know I did part of a Desert for RA-1. It is no fun at all.

To work with C&C there is Mix Manager v3.51 and associated utilities written by Vladan Bato. I works like RA-MIXer. Get it here. http://planetcnc.gamespy.com/View.php?view=TiberianDawn.Detail&id=67#Files

Why? "RA95.exe" is just the launch program and RA95.dat is main executable. Is there somting need the normal "RA95.exe"? I had to make my own game engine to make the mod work with out crashing.

I can't pack everything in a one mix or two mix files like TS. I can't even use Image= and Name= in the rules. If I do so the game will crash about every 20 mins.

Nice work, i look forward to giving this a go

@Helgen: I havent installed the mod yet but if i understand what you are asking correctly, yes it is possible to make a RA mod which is ran using the original ra ".exe" file however compatability problems are more likly to occur when installing/uninstalling etc

The real advantage of using a edited exe is you can have both original RA and edited in the same directory with out any major problems as thenew version doesnt change the original in any way.

Edit, you beat me to it :P

ah alright. Thanks for the clarification :)

Problem what i have with the german version:

Aftermath and Coverstrike menu items are missing.

Registry entries are all present. Without "Red Dawn" also works.

If you need the german files for Red Dawn. I would help you and provide the required files.

On the edge... is it possible to play without CD ? (Remove the CD Check protection)

Nice work, i look forward to giving this a go

@Helgen: I havent installed the mod yet but if i understand what you are asking correctly, yes it is possible to make a RA mod which is ran using the original ra ".exe" file however compatability problems are more likly to occur when installing/uninstalling etc

The real advantage of using a edited exe is you can have both original RA and edited in the same directory with out any major problems as thenew version doesnt change the original in any way.

Edit, you beat me to it :P

You said it better.

ah alright. Thanks for the clarification :)

Problem what i have with the german version:

Aftermath and Coverstrike menu items are missing.

Registry entries are all present. Without "Red Dawn" also works.

If you need the german files for Red Dawn. I would help you and provide the required files.

On the edge... is it possible to play without CD ? (Remove the CD Check protection)

You have Aftermath and Coverstrike menus in nomral RA-1 but not in Red Dawn? That shouldn't be possible. The only way this could happen is if the Registry entries are not the same between the German and English engines but I 99% sure that they are the same Registry entries.

It would be alot ot work to do a german Red Dawn. I would need all the ingame sidebar icons from Ra-1 and C&C95 in German. I could do the sidebar icons since they look the same in English or German. I would need some one that could tranlate the all of the ingame text.

Unit, structures and menus texts. Found in the conquer.eng *it prob conquer.ger for the German game.* Also the mission briefings found in the missio!.ini. Aftermath and Coverstrike missions briefings saved in each mission. Lastly the tutoria!.ini is the text found in the top left hand corner during missions.

Yes a No CD it is possible but game needs files from the CD to work right. I could make a patch to do this but I don't know if is legal to do so.

Problem solved with the missing menu items for Aftermath and Coverstrike with Red Dawn and the German version.

Entry in the registry is different.

German: Westwood\Alarmstufe Rot Windows 95 Edition

English: Westwood\Red Alert Windows 95 Edition

Regarding the German language

It's like the English version. The conquer.eng file. (only with the german strings)

I've asked earlier, where the German entries for Aftermath and Coverstrike are defined.

The German menu entries for "Aftermath" and "Coverstrike" are defined (hardcoded) in the exe.

Would probably like to help you. Red Dawn to do in German.

Regarding NoCD

Have the protection now removed himself. Works great.

I can add back the options for the English registries for Aftermath and Coverstrike when you install the mod. This will fix this for all users since I now know that the registries are not the same for German users.

I can change the hardcoded "Coverstrike Missions" and "Aftermath Missions" text on the main menu with hex editing.

I can't translate any thing. You would have to do all the work. You would have to translate the conquer.eng. You could use the one that is already in German and use it as a base. Some thing with tutoria!.ini and missio!.ini.  Coverstrike and Aftermath have the mission briefing packed into there missions.

The EVA voice is from C&C TS. Some of the voices are custom made by splicing 2 more voice file together. These can’t be translated.

If you got it running no CD that’s good. I don’t know if it would be legal for me to make such a patch.

All the image were made by WestWood so I'm not going to make any claim to them. Your free to use any thing from the mod as it was all made by WestWood and taken from C&C Gold or C&C RA-1.

My only claim is that I found a way for GDI have the Airstrike and Ion Cannon from the Adv Com Center.

As for how I did it. I used PSP6. I took frame 000 than added a over layer and put frame 033 than cut the back from frame 033 so I could adjust it to match frame 000. I did this 31 more time to take the C&C Gold MLRS that was 64 frames to 32 frames.

64 frames is used for vehicles that have turret and 32 frames is used for vehicles that have no turret.

That's very cool. I'm assuming the found the code for the airstrike (parabomb) and attached it to the Adv.Comm. I'd love to see the Ion in RA xD. But the mod I was making was based on the cold war. Hopefully I'll finish it one day.

I'm having trouble running your mod though. When I try to run it through your RA-1 to CnC95 I get a no CD error. I'm running through TFD DVD, it's had problems running CnC95 through the .exe before. I seem to have to run the game through the DVD auto start menu. Obviously this means I cannot access your .exe file though...

Something is not right then... The mod should know if you have TFD and give you and exe that will work with TFD. IF your RA-1 is 3.03.

Do you have your RA-1 update to 3.03? To check if you have 3.03 start normal RA-1 and read the number below and to the right of "Exit Game" It should say 3.03 or 3.03E. It may say CSAM after the 3.03E. CS stand for CounterStrike and AM stand for AfterMath. The two RA-1 expansions.

How to read the pic below.

Below the Green box is version number. Below the Yellow box shows that CounterStrike is installed and is only shown if CounterStrike is installed. Below the Blue box shows that AfterMath is installed and is only shown if AfterMath is installed.

RA_Main.png.079b56332760daf898e81d42847bc38c.png

Hum.. The installer should have gave your the right game engine to work with TFD. Run the mod installer again up tell you get to the install directory selction screen and tell me what it says in the box I have in blue.

If it says C:\WESTWOOD\REDALERT or C:\WESTWOOD\RA95 The instller did not find your TFD Registry files and gave you the wrong game engine that need the Pay/Freewere CDs.

You need to have palet set or XCC Mixer gives a black picture.

To set the palet. Start XCC Mixer and go to View then Palet. Go ovet to Red Alert. You will want redalert.mix-local.mix- snow.pal or redalert.mix-local.mix-temperate.pal for RA-1

There is also a shortcuts to that will let you go from next palet *Ctrl+[ keys* or previous palet *Ctrl+] keys*

Here is quck guide to using XCC Mixer.

http://xhp.xwis.net/documents/guide_XCC_Mixer.html