Clan ladder

VWWWWWWWWWWW

@RaVaGe and others:

The reason I stated that we need to divide the lobbies here is because it would be a very simple solution to a complex problem.

Of course I'd love for it all to be integrated into one lobby, but that would require a big work-around solution to the log in account problem and the free lobbies. So, having the lobby in the already pre-existing ranking system would be quite easy on the developing side. I mean, it's already there everytime someone goes to quick match (we just don't see the lobby obviously). 

Making a clan lobby based off this already existing code should be a pretty easy copy and paste sort of project compared to completely changing the framework of the cncnet lobbies. 

having a clan ladder would definitely boost the activity , I also agree with matt and gun-man.

i'd like also to donate if you're serious about this.There are so many players from other servers like Xwis and Gr who want this to happen. 

I didn't like my experience in 1v1s ladder and I personally Find 2v2s much much more Fun in comparison to a boring typical 1v1 (Sov vs Sov) aka ( dogs vs dogs).

So, I'm curious to what are the obstacles of not having a clan ladder?

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, fir3w0rx said:

I'm not saying that the staff are asking for payment (which they deserve anyway), but just out of curiosity, have people donated for the 1v1 ladders yet? :DBecause I remember conversations similar to this, except it was about the 1v1 QM ladder.

Wasn't the point of this server > xwis that it's free? When you create a server and attempt to get people to leave xwis or get new players to come here instead of xwis (which obviously has a ladder) I feel like it's your duty to make this server good. People appreciate the work but if you want this server to just be catered to noobs, then let people know. Otherwise, good players want ladders. 

I'm not sure who the people are who said they would donate for the 1v1 ladder...but many of the ppl that want a clan ladder rarely or never use the 1v1 ladder. These are differen't people, so expecting them to pay for something they don't use is absurd. Many people only 2v2/3v3 which is why they want a clan ladder. But I know multiple people have said they are willing to donate for a clan ladder. Maybe if a developer steps up and says this is something they can do, how much $ they would expect, etc? No1 is going to donate to the site for a clan ladder when no accountability for those donations are in place. For all they know it will go to update #5027?

• Upvote 1

On 10/3/2018 at 7:30 PM, XXxPrePxX said:

Can someone in the know tell me why this wouldn't work:

1. Create a clan system attached to a persons created e-mail account/username. This way they are 'in' clans. 

2) Much like the QM system we have in place, create a 'lobby' for clan games instead of quick match games. This way, players can sign in to the 'ranked games' and go to a specialized ranked lobby (This also keeps some of the trash talk out of the cncnet gaming lobby :p). 

3) Now that we have a lobby for ranked games, players can create 'tournament' games for the ranked single player ladder and also 'clan games' for clan games ranging from 1on1, 2on2, 3on3, 4on4. 

I believe all this is easily feasible in the current frame, am I wrong? @dkeeton @RaVaGe @Grant anyone in the know. 

I mean, we have the ranked lobby (you'd just have to make it visible like the cncnet lobby), we have the ladder and points system (all you'd have to do is make a new one that corresponds to the new clan ladder), the only hard part would be creating the clan environment in the webpages and I guess creating a lobby that corresponds to tournament games and clan games. 

Just spit-ballin a solution here.

1 v 1 clan or tournament ladder very EZ, add an name and password , then join the copy QM system, setup maps is ok。

7 hours ago, VWWWWWWWWWWW said:

Wasn't the point of this server > xwis that it's free? When you create a server and attempt to get people to leave xwis or get new players to come here instead of xwis (which obviously has a ladder) I feel like it's your duty to make this server good. People appreciate the work but if you want this server to just be catered to noobs, then let people know. Otherwise, good players want ladders. 

Like Firew0rx said, topics like this were made about 1v1 QM and ranked ladder, so the devs made it, after a lot of work.
They are still refining it and working out the bugs, it doesn't happen over night.

This server is free.
The staff is working from their time off work to keep the games bug, cheat, troll, hacker free while adding new features quite regularly.
The CnCNet network/server is already good, it's active and you can play without cheats on modern operating system and computers with minimal problems.

I've been working on adding balanced maps and a possible balance patch for ladder play, but none of you competitive players are around to actually help out.
So while you talk about cncnet catering for noobs, you're the one not helping anyone to cater it for pros.

but many of the ppl that want a clan ladder rarely or never use the 1v1 ladder

You mean the 8-10 players who actually want a clan ladder and normally play 2v2s? That really is 'many'.

These are differen't people, so expecting them to pay for something they don't use is absurd.

Expecting staff to prioritize every time some minority wants a new feature is absurd.
Where are you guys when staff needs to test new ddraw (renderer) updates?

But I know multiple people have said they are willing to donate for a clan ladder. Maybe if a developer steps up and says this is something they can do, how much $ they would expect, etc? No1 is going to donate to the site for a clan ladder when no accountability for those donations are in place. For all they know it will go to update #5027?

This is something you guys will have to work out with @Grant , I'm sure he can organise some system of accountability.

21 minutes ago, RaVaGe said:

So while you talk about cncnet catering for noobs, you're the one not helping anyone to cater it for pros

Coming here from xwis helps cater to the pros. Making this topic helps. I'm also not an admin on this site.

You mean the 8-10 players who actually want a clan ladder and normally play 2v2s? That really is 'many'.

Compared to the 8-10 good players who 1v1 on the ladder? Obviously there are other people who aren't great who would like a 2v2 ladder. You were never really able to compete for ranks, but I recall you still having a clan on xwis. And you have a fake clan on cncnet typed into your username now, and apparently have other average players in it? But you think clans only apply to pros? It's funny how your own actions  both in the past and now contradict the shit that you type.

Expecting staff to prioritize every time some minority wants a new feature is absurd.

Who expected this to be a priority? I've been on cncnet for a few years and haven't made the topic until now. 

Edited by VWWWWWWWWWWW

23 minutes ago, RaVaGe said:

I've been working on adding balanced maps and a possible balance patch for ladder play, but none of you competitive players are around to actually help out.

23 minutes ago, RaVaGe said:

Where are you guys when staff needs to test new ddraw (renderer) updates?

Are you implying that if we tested a new renderer there might be a clan ladder up? This game consists of 1)FFGs 2) 1v1 ladder and 3) clan matches. A 3rd of this game shouldn't be a priority by now? If you want to act like a bitter old man, can you get an admin who can help with this to respond instead?

49 minutes ago, VWWWWWWWWWWW said:

Unfortunate indeed. Makes me wonder why we don't all go to xwis instead

Because it cost money to get on (serial enforced), it has numerous problems with newer computers, and has outdated systems in place :p. All of those reasons trump the no clan ladder on CNCNet. 

But I'm with you -- a clan environment is the one major piece that CNCNet is missing right now. A clanning environment doesn't just help the ladder and competitive players, it helps foster in new players into groups to create unique strategies to beat better players. When I first started I got better by playing clan games 2on2 with my old Drake teammates on Hammer and Sickle. Within a few months online I had joined some 4-6 clans that took me in and was able to get better and addicted to the game. 

If CNCNet could ever harbor in that type of clanning environment, then it could really increase the amount of competitive players we see.... a 1on1 ladder does NOT do this as right now a newb on the 1on1 player ladder has no chance...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Grant said:

An extra pair of experienced web dev and c++ developers coming to help would no doubt benefit situations like these. 

Is Alex still around? :D His source codes might need to be checked for any uh... "bugs"... but he can probably help out.

I have just been told in private that I'm responding like an individual on XWIS... so here's a more detailed response to, "can we have a clan ladder". 

The current status of big and new projects like this, is that no-one (that I currently know of) can put 100% of their spare time into making something like this right now. We're just too stretched on other stuff, you've heard it all before we don't need to list shit off.

So here's what we'll be doing in the meantime:

1. We will look to advertise for some extra developers to join the CnCNet team. It's needed, we're light, have been for a while, however this has always proved difficult in the past and rarely brings up anyone.  The games are old, finding someone who is skilled enough, that: want's to work on a project in their spare time and really care enough to work on it all the way to the end is a deal breaker. Nonetheless, there's no harm in trying to look, so watch out and share the post around when you see it.

2. If we get some extra dev's on board, we'll then reconsider and map out what a clan ladder might look like internally (how to go about creating one).

3. If the project is going to get the green light and we have the resource there, we'll hook up an open donation pool for those working on the project, like a gofundme of sorts, that if you guys want to support them, you can do.

Open to hearing other options if you guys have them, will respond accordingly. :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Sounds good Grant. Credit where credit's due, you guys have done a great job on cncnet! :) I have already donated, but would donate more for a clan ladder.

May I suggest a slightly different plan order:

1. Set up a gofundme page for the clan ladder with a ball park target

2. When the target is reached, advertise for a developer (consider upwork.com)

I have a mobile app developer from upwork.com working for $10 an hour, doing a great job. The process was:

1. Create a job advert (100s will apply)

2. Weed out the lower rated developers

3. Video interview 5 developers and select based on experience and testimonials

4. Create fixed price project, payable upon completion

When you find good reliable staff, you can use them for other projects so you don't have to go through the interview process again.

I am happy to assist with this.

Regards

NDiaz

• Like 1