Command & Conquer Remasters have been announced!

Tore

EA has just announced the Command & Conquer games that will be Remastered

Today EA producer @EA_Jimtern announced that they are remastering two classic Command & Conquer (C&C) titles: The original C&C - Tiberian Dawn and Red Alert

Remaster starts with Tiberian Dawn and Red Alert, but that's not all

So, we will also remaster the original Command & Conquer: Red Alert™. But what about the classic expansion packs you may ask - Covert Ops, Counterstrike, and Aftermath? Well, C&C and Red Alert wouldn’t be the same without them, so all three expansion packs will be bundled with the base games into one remastered collection - without microtransactions.

EA Partners up with Petroglyph

You read that right. This is huge. Why? For those who don't know, Petroglyph Games is a company that was originally started by former Westwood Las Vegas developers and responsible for games like Star Wars Empire at War, Grey Goo and 8-bit Armies. This means that Westwood veterans such as Joe Bostic (responsible for much of the code in C&C and RA) will be working on the remasters.

Joe Bostic from the announcement:

I’m looking forward to re-engaging with the fans of the series as we bring the Command & Conquer franchise back to its roots of “easy to play, difficult to master"

Lemon Sky are in the mix too, bringing 4k with them!

Lemon Sky Studios are being brought in alongside Petroglyph, which will "bring the 4k glory". They are one of the premier art studios around the world, with a unique speciality in remastering classic RTS titles, including Starcraft.

Frank Klepacki is back

That's right, with Petroglyph comes Frank Klepacki. Confirmed by his tweet just a moment ago and in a YouTube video published from the announcement.

Let your voice be heard!

Jim has been adamant from the start about community involvement and feedback and will be listening to feedback from across the C&C community so this is your chance to get your thoughts heard and head over to the Reddit announcement post

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Guest Scaremenow

It probably won't, but will the games be added to the players that brought the C&C Ultimate Edition, or will it be a separate purchase ? 

Petroglyph <--- lol this company only makes games that  flop(grey goo ,8 bit armies,  forged battalion (made promises to community but they fucked them) all flopped.

Dont get why people are all so excited,they hade a cuple of lucky shots but in the long run they made shitty games.

Man im depressed

4 hours ago, David Smith said:

OK, excuse my ignorance but what exactly is re-mastering? I understand it will be an improvement. But what? Better graphics?

Looking forward to seeing it of course

Cheers all,

Smudge

A remaster usually means 1:1 gameplay but with updated graphics/engine/compatibility with modern OS's. See Starcraft Remastered.

• Upvote 1

There have always been "updates remakes remasters" to anything! and I try to be optimistic but !

Some might argue the highways to hell were paved with good intentions, Its not that EA wants to do the remasters it's the devil that's in the details and whether intentional or not EA must know this will fracture the CnCNet community, it is obvious that at this point even a small loss of players might end CnCNet. This same devil in the details scenario has happened to other communities and just because EA says they have no intentions to interfere does not meen EA has any obligation to leave CnCnet alone and not interfere.

CnCNet got more of a following than EA though possible and obviously caught the attention of EA. EA than obviously came to the conclusion there is monetary potential and its not hard to see where this is going. EA owns the rights to everything C&C and has obvious monetary intentions for C&C. It's the Or Else Senario whether they are saying it or not so basically "Either go along with us and assist or your against us", with CnCNet having no other choice but to support it!  EA might be inclined to think that if the remasters would no longer have to compete with the original classics being played online anymore it might benefit EA monetary potential. A predictable outcome could be that if EA is not happy with CnCNet and EA wants to go in another direction at any time they simply force a shut down of CnCNet  matching services and site for copyright infringements, CnCNet would simply have to surrender and comply. 

Now that being said I don't think any of us are certain if remasters will be a hit. But what most of us are certain of is what works are new good ideas not old good ideas. Old titles became classics for good reason, we wanted something new with new story lines not old story lines. C&C's time has faded and it's following is mostly individuals clinging to nostalgia. As Youth we bathed in C&C glory but after 25 years anything loses its spark. RTS games don't get the youth exited these days, youth enjoy RPG or MMORPG and even FPS games have role playing elements. It will be difficult to recruit new young players and I would bet it would prove more difficult to get the older original classic players to join suit. Just like remakes of a scary movies as in we know what is going to happen beforehand and when nothing is a surprise its no longer a scary movie. 

I sure hope everything works out but all this makes me cringe and have that bitter taste and the question of where was EA when all the cheaters and botnets and flooders and game crashers overtook westwood servers. to most it seemed like they didn't care than so why the sudden interest ....

If its just about the $$$ for EA than well myself im not for any of this.....

Edited by judas
  • Sad 1

I'd like to suggest two different threads, one for the single player experience and another for the multiplayer. 

IMO, EA can (come to) make a poor SP game and a great MP experience, for example.
Also, SP and MP players have different goals and game play style and although people might be agreeing at any given point, the ideas behnd the arguments for each mode might vary a little. By last, in terms of opinions, one group will be the "control group" of the other, so the C&C devs reading here can have an idea of notion and coherence from anyone requiring any feature or change.

sc remaster really sucks ,ra will not be any better.

Im happy for the ra players,but for me as a fan of c&c this is AGAIN really dissapointing.

Ra2 is the biggest name of all the classic's and they leave it for what it is :s

These changes would be great on all older games from C&C series, but all unit movement and usage etc is the way it was meant to be, NOT overthought!

1) proper anti cheat like valve by steam uses.

2) proper registration/account required to play that's limited to a single nickname

3) Once again start using keys, so users can be keybanned

4) Maybe upgrade the online player count to 12 or 16 slots so we can play 6vs6 or 8vs8

5) Game channel hosters should be able to add users/bad actors to their personal disallow player list, if I make a channel is auto disallows those persons until I remove them from my personal list. Hosters should have choice to remove rules breakers, team attackers, game crashers, laggers etc. Because people have different computers they still name hide and come back to harass and ruin games. We want the /ban "nickname" command back ……….

6) Lastly a choice to go to classic or high texture quality and fully compatable with win 8/10, if the person can run full frames at high texture it runs at high if not it would auto defaults to classic video and sound mode.

Edited by judas
  • Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 9:39 AM, Ra2Nub said:

Shame it's not RA2, but will definitely buy it in the hope it will become a success, and RA2 will be next...

TS and RA2 will probably be next after theve finished the originals be patient! They are doing it in the right order since ra2 is more recent  

Edited by chem
  • Like 1

• Grant featured this topic