Jump to content

CnCNet Forums

Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I'm getting an error after modifying the 3tnk.shp: "warning open source shp builder 3.36 is unable to open this file" even if I rename the file I get the same error. What's the fix to this?

 

 

Untitled.jpg.59312dedfcac481b3d8e5f95a4b2f49b.jpg

UPDATE: seems that new RA1 type shp causes this.

UPDATE 2: I found the cause, using the ellipse tool seems to break theRA1 type .shp for some reason.

Edited by CnCRedAlertFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Um. There is no such thing as a "new RA1 type shp". The SHP format of C&C1 and RA1 is identical. SHP Builder has always had a tendency to corrupt C&C1-type SHP files, though...

Try using Engie File Converter?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/24/2019 at 9:41 AM, Nyerguds said:

Um. There is no such thing as a "new RA1 type shp". The SHP format of C&C1 and RA1 is identical. SHP Builder has always had a tendency to corrupt C&C1-type SHP files, though...

Try using Engie File Converter?

 

Ah didn't know that RA1/C&C1 used an alternative to SHP Builder.

Ok I tried it out and it's weird. It doesn't use the correct color, and the only colors i see available are: grayscale, heights and rainbow. Also it has no tools for editing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, it's not an editor. As the name clearly says, it's a file converter.

As for the colours... SHP files don't have colours. If you want colours, you just need to add them yourself.

It's not exactly hard. Open an image that has a 256-colour palette, click the "Save" button next to the greyed out "inbuilt palette" dropdown, open the dropdown with palettes and select the "Create new..." at the bottom, give a name, and save it.

Or just, y'know... drop a C&C palette into the program's folder. I got a set of editing palettes handy. Engie will read the ????conv.pal ones ;)

 

Mind you, you can just edit your file in SHP editor, save it as TS SHP, and use Engie to convert that to TD/RA1 SHP afterwards. That should work fine. Doesn't even matter if you can't view it in the correct colours; as I said, SHP doesn't save colours anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/5/2019 at 2:06 PM, Nyerguds said:

Well, it's not an editor. As the name clearly says, it's a file converter.

As for the colours... SHP files don't have colours. If you want colours, you just need to add them yourself.

It's not exactly hard. Open an image that has a 256-colour palette, click the "Save" button next to the greyed out "inbuilt palette" dropdown, open the dropdown with palettes and select the "Create new..." at the bottom, give a name, and save it.

Or just, y'know... drop a C&C palette into the program's folder. I got a set of editing palettes handy. Engie will read the ????conv.pal ones ;)

 

Mind you, you can just edit your file in SHP editor, save it as TS SHP, and use Engie to convert that to TD/RA1 SHP afterwards. That should work fine. Doesn't even matter if you can't view it in the correct colours; as I said, SHP doesn't save colours anyway.

 

Umm i guess you didn't read the Update2 where I said that the Elipse tool was corrupting the file. Engie can't open the corrupted files. I assumed you were suggesting Engie as an alternative, despite the name, to the properties of editing. Also, I see no TD/RA1 SHP option when i select Save file...when selecting frame -1 I see TS Shape File and C&C1 Shape File.

I have have simply been doing my edits in SHP without using the Elipse tool and the file saves correctly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/11/2019 at 9:38 AM, CnCRedAlertFan said:

Umm i guess you didn't read the Update2 where I said that the Elipse tool was corrupting the file.

No, you said the ellipse tool was breaking the RA1 type .shp. So I suggested using TS type shp in OS SHP Editor instead, and converting that to TD shp with Engie afterwards 😛

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/14/2019 at 4:53 AM, Nyerguds said:

No, you said the ellipse tool was breaking the RA1 type .shp. So I suggested using TS type shp in OS SHP Editor instead, and converting that to TD shp with Engie afterwards 😛

 

I was obviously talking about TD, what else would I mean? I don't see a way to save in TD in Engie. I have been tinkering around with SHP and found out that creating a new SHP file I can do anything (change palette, use tools, save in TS then in TD) and the file won't break. Meanwhile using the 3tnk.shp (heavy tank) the SHP file will corrupt if i do anything besides use the Draw tool or replace colors.

Update: I tried again editing 3tnk.shp, but this time i saved in TS first, after using tools etc., and then reopened and saved in TD as a new file 31tnk.shp , also after using tools and i got no issues! I then used tools etc. and saved in 3tnk.shp, tried various things and the file wasn't getting corrupted. This is so weird...I can't trust it.

Edited by CnCRedAlertFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Similar Content

    • By Grant
      Frequently Asked Questions
       
      Game Specific
      Red Alert 2 & Yuri's Revenge
      Unable to set Video Mode The updater launcher will not exit .NET Framework 3.5 and 2.0 are required, but windows 10 won't download it.  
      All games
      How do I add custom maps? I just downloaded CnCNet, or updated and my anti-virus flagged it as a virus CnCNet has been blocked by my anti-virus or is showing as a virus My game is slow, shows a black screen, or gameplay is choppy Your IP address has been listed at DroneBL  
    • By walker193
      The sound on the game is not working for me.  It starts out, but then very quickly goes away, completely muffled. 
    • By mpielke
      Good morning,
      first of all I have to admit that cncnet is a great work! I have been playing red alert in the late 1990s as a teenager and it is fun to play the same game with my kids now nearly 25 years later... I am currently upgrading my kids' computers from WinXP to Win10 and while red alert still runs fine on Win10, there is one minor issue that I am trying to get around now:
      The LAN cnc irc server (which is started when selecting the LAN modus on the launcher and no other server is running on the LAN) requires admin priviledges to be run. Now I do not want to grant these rights to my kids user accounts and I do not want to give the admin password to them for obvious reasons. One workaround would be to use the online mode whichs runs fine or to start red alert without the launcher but I am trying to fix this issue for me to benefit from the great work of the cncnet lobby.
      I do have a local IRC server up and running which I can use to connect using the online-modus (by setting the server in the server file). But I would like to set this server to be used when seleting the LAN-mode. The local IRC server I have is not the one from cnc as I have set it up on a small linux home server - I am not able to use the cnc irc server there as I do not want to change this linux system significantly (no .net, no mono, no wine). The current irc server is running in a docker image which works great without altering the system itself.
      So the question is: how do I tell the cncnet5 application to connect to a certain irc server (the local irc server) when selecting LAN mode?
      Best regards
      Martin
    • By DigitalRonin
      Greetings,
      For some reason my DTA client doesn't work anymore, and this is the case for everything I own. E.g, MO and TI etc... I have installed Windows 10 lately so that could be an issue with some .dll file or something, idk. Tried to reinstall one of the mods but didn't work, also installed XNA framework 4.0 but nope.
      Here is my client folder.
      - DR
      client.log
    • By ayoobetsha
      take a look at the png 
      closing link or your IP address has listed at dronebl 

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...