EA will release the source code of two DLLs of C&C Remastered

MrParrot

Hi.

Today I waked up with this interesting news:

https://www.ea.com/games/command-and-conquer/command-and-conquer-remastered/news/remaster-update-modding

There we read:

Today we are proud to announce that alongside the launch of the Remastered Collection, Electronic Arts will be releasing the TiberianDawn.dll and RedAlert.dll and their corresponding source code under the GPL version 3.0 license.  This is a key moment for Electronic Arts, the C&C community, and the gaming industry, as we believe this will be one of the first major RTS franchises to open source their source code under the GPL.  It’s worth noting this initiative is the direct result of a collaboration between some of the community council members and our teams at EA.  After discussing with the council members, we made the decision to go with the GPL license to ensure compatibility with projects like CnCNet and Open RA.  Our goal was to deliver the source code in a way that would be truly beneficial for the community, and we hope this will enable amazing community projects for years to come.

Do someone have more information about this? What are the content of these two DLLs? That is at least, interesting.

Later on they say that

This is a key moment for Electronic Arts, the C&C community, and the gaming industry, as we believe this will be one of the first major RTS franchises to open source their source code under the GPL.

Which does make me believe that the entire game source code will be released under GPL-3 license. That make me believe that the game's code such as the engine, renderer, etc (but maybe not the art) will be open and provided for free for anyone to download and redistribute as they wish.

• Like 1