RA2 menu/video problem on Windows 7

WallyWalrus

I am new to this forum and looking for help getting RedAlert 2 to run on my Windows 7 machine.  I loved RA2 for many years and used to play both solo and online for hundreds of hours.  I have dreamt of someday playing again, and would love to introduce the game to my son.  I am heartened to find such a robust fan base for a classic game.

Perhaps one of you can help me . . . .

I purchased online RA2 through Origin and installed.  When I run the game, I cannot see the opening video and the menu items are invisible.  They still work, invisibly, and if I ALT-TAB and come back the menus appear.  So, to save, load, or change options etc., I need to click, then alt-tab until I get back to the game.  Very annoying.  I have read others with identical problem and tried their solutions:

1.  I changed the compatibility on the following .exe application files:

game

gamemd

mph

mphmd

Ra2

RA2Launcher

RA2MD

Right click, Properties -> compatibility -> change settings for all users to "run this program as administrator" and I tried all the following settings:

Windows XP (Service Pack 3)

Windows XP (Service Pack 2)

Windows 98 / Windows Me

Windows 95

2.  I also edited my RA.ini file by changing to:

[Video]

AllowHiResModes=yes

AllowVRAMSidebar=yes

VideoBackBuffer=no

ScreenWidth=1600  (the resolution that works on my monitor)

ScreenHeight=1200

StretchMovies=yes

3.  1600x1200 seems to be the resolution that works on my monitor.  My monitor is a ViewSonic VX2739wm.  When I right click desktop, resolution, "detect" does not open other screens and I have no options about multiple displays underneath "Orientation"  This seems to be the step that several you-tube videos promote as the solution to my problem . . . .

Here are the rest of my specs: 

HP p7-1267c with Intel Core i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz and 8 GB RAM, 64-bit Operating System

Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1

Intel HD Graphics Family display adaptor, PCI bus 0, device 2, function 0

Status "Device is working properly"

Driver Version 8.15.10.2291, 1/27/2011 up to date

Thank you for any help.  Feel free to email me at [email protected]

• 4 weeks later...