Game runs far too fast, locks up, saves dont work

ben_uk

Question

Hi there,

I am hoping someone can help me on this. I loved the C&C remaster and I bought it on day 1 in 2020, so I was patiently waiting for the RA2 remaster however I broke down a few weeks back and just bought the C&C collection on Origin, simply just so I could play RA2 again.

I have tried to run the vanilla game in my monitor's native res (1920 X 1200) and done the VideoBackBuffer=no entries on the ini file, however it seems to do odd things to the speed of the game. I initially had it so that the game was running like a million miles an hour and within a few seconds the AI would be on me and I would be dead, I have made a few changes like running the game in compatibility mode and also installing the CNCNet patch, now I seem to be in a state where the game is in slow motion and the scrolling speed is painfully slow and units dont seem to move very quick (this is if I run the vanilla exe).

So I looked at the CNCNet installer and whilst it massively improves the stability of the game and the speed seems spot on, I do have a few reservations. The game's iconic music seems to have vanished, secondly if I save a skirmish game, if I try and load the game, it crashes and sends me back to the Skirmish menu. Lastly, it seems there is no way to do the single player campaign within the CNCNet enviroment.

Basically at the end of the day, I would just like the game to run properly, be able to do skirmish matches, play single player, run at my native res and have the music as it was. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Ben.

i5 - 8700K

32GB RAM

nVidia 1070ti

SSD etc etc

Win 10

Edited by ben_uk

2 answers to this question

I'm having the same problem. As soon as the Skirmish game starts, Ai destroys me in 3 seconds. I started having this problem after the last update. I tried all settings but it did not resolve. I also did a clean install on a different computer, this problem starts as soon as I install the last online update.

On 3/6/2022 at 9:04 PM, ben_uk said:

Lastly, it seems there is no way to do the single player campaign within the CNCNet enviroment.

This bit isn't really overally clear from us so sorry about that. When you install the CnCNet client it will patch the singleplayer to become playable. You then need to launch singleplayer directly from Origin.  To play online and skirmish games, you use the CnCNet client.  

You've probably overdone it with all the things you've described (compatiblity and so on).

Steps:

1. Reinstall Red Alert 2 & Yuri's Revenge via Origin.  This is to revert all the previous troubleshooting you've applied.
  2. Install the CnCNet client again.
  3. Launch single player via Origin.  
  4. If you experience problems like choppy gameplay, slowdowns, too fast, follow these steps.
    • Close the game, and open the CnCNet client. 
    • Click "Options"
    • Select "Display" and under the render options, select a new renderer. Commonly, "Automatic", "CNC-DRRAW" or "TS-DDRAW" works best.
    • Click Save, and try launching the game again. If the gameplay is smooth and the cutscenes are playing then this renderer will likely be the best for you.
    • If it hasn't worked, select a different renderer and repeat until you find one that works best with your system.
    • render.png