The TS full game/Tore's installer doesn't work anymore

hazelnot

The full game installer doesn't work anymore. It tries to download the .Net Framework redistributable from Microsoft's servers, but it seems like they removed the specific mirror it used to pull from.

I can install the skirmish/singleplayer section if I use the cncnet version and not the standalone installer (clicking cancel when it complains about the redist makes it continue in the cncnet version, but it just hangs the standalone one), but then it fails when it tries to install the optional components. The error message is:

Unable to execute file:
C:\Games\CnCNet\TiberianSun_Online\[filename].exe

CreateProcess failed; code 2.
File not found.

Trying to install them afterwards from the launcher has the exact same behaviour as the standalone one, it just gives up after failing to download the redist.

I assume some of the weirdness is probably related to me trying to run this in Fedora, but I imagine the .net issue is affecting everyone who wants to install the full game at the moment.

You can try to install it manually, not sure which version it would need.  the new one might be backwards compatible, or you might need an older version.

if you install it yourself you might still get the download error, but it would be there if you can get the install to finish.......

I would start with 3.5....if I were trying......that would be my first guess.....

I have been able to work around in the past this way with other software.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/search/explore?q=.Net+Framework+redistributable

Edited by amokk
  • Like 1

The cncnet installer also uses Tore's client though lol, at least the full game Linux one lol

I ended up using Rampastring's client, although I still prefer Tore's for various reasons (Rampastring's client seems to not allow me to use custom resolutions, and it also seems to include Firestorm music in the vanilla TS campaign) and got kinda roped into becoming a tester for the cross-platform port on Linux.

But no, Tore's installer just fails regardless of whether I already manually install .Net beforehand or not, it insists on downloading it itself and failing.

• Confused 2

On 9/17/2022 at 11:05 AM, hazelnot said:

The cncnet installer also uses Tore's client though lol, at least the full game Linux one lol

I ended up using Rampastring's client, although I still prefer Tore's for various reasons

i am at a loss for words...

Edited by amokk
  • Upvote 1

On 9/17/2022 at 11:05 AM, hazelnot said:

I ended up using Rampastring's client, although I still prefer Tore's for various reasons

Why??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Does the cncnet linux installer fail?

If you tried the cncnet linux installer, and it did not work. post in the 'support' section.

Someone else just posted here. 'i want to play TS but I want to install it with some old installer for win98 that I am having problems with...'

Come on people.!! , use the cncnet one, and if that dosen't work, then ask for help................. lol

In your case it uses the client you like, and it is supported, if you tried the cncnet one, and it did not work, ask for help in the support section, where the smart people will help you.  

In here you're stuck with me

Admins are actually gone from cncnet support team for now.. well they are here but there's no response, neither on Discord. 
This sayd there are going to be thous who go on Rampastrings client and many will stay on Funky's and many others will join Vinifera once it's ready for public release.. so if you have no trouble you can still buy original game CD for TS or just use all the clients and see what works for you.