Changing Countries & Side Names

Derv_10

Hi All,

I've been looking on this forum for a little while now whilst I've been attempting to mod RA1. I have no modding experience but started having a prod anyway. I can't seem to find where I can change the Side names (Allies and Soviets to Allies and Axis). I have changed them in the conquer.eng and in the game menu screen the New Game settings show the change but where do I allocate what countries are on what side?

Basically I have changed the countries to this - United Kingdom, United States, France, Soviet Union (Allies), Germany, Italy, Hungary, Romania (Axis). As I changed the country names in rules.ini and conquer.eng they show correctly but Soviet Union is still linked to its old name Russia (Soviet) side not Allies. Is there a simple text line that I need to change somewhere?

Thanks

Ok thanks for the replies, so my way around this would be to rename the countries keeping allies as allies and my 'axis' as soviet then just remember that units/buildings etc need to refer to soviet if they are on the axis side.

Bottom line is I don't think this effects the end result in any way.

For those interested I have been working on a realistic rules file to reflect more accurate real world results (riflemen cant destroy a buildings easily, tank balancing, buildings are harder to destroy in general, computer attacks with much more force +lots more). I've played a few 1v1 skirmishes on normal and battles are more epic and bases are very hard to destroy even with large tank force.

I'm sure someone has already done this but if anyone wants to try it out and maybe give any advice I can upload it.

Thanks

Now that I think about it there is a way but you need to remake both sides radar screen and sidebar parts so they have no logo and color.

In the rules you can use Owner= countries names. Like Owner=England,France,USSR for all unit and buildings. The one prob is that USSR will still be given a free Hind with each Helipad and above sidebars probs.

Now that I think about it there is a way but you need to remake both sides radar screen and sidebar parts so they have no logo and color.

How would I do this?

In the rules you can use Owner= countries names. Like Owner=England,France,USSR for all unit and buildings. The one prob is that USSR will still be given a free Hind with each Helipad and above sidebars probs.

I heard doing this too much makes it crash?

Owner= Tags wont make it crash, but too many Name= and Image= Tags will make it crash. You can typically getting away with the 3 name tags on the ants though, but anyway...

I attached all pieces of the side bar for Allies and Soviet. You just need to convert them to .PNG with XCC or something, edit the colors the way you want, then convert back to .SHP with XCC again. If you are wondering, the Sidebar pieces are located in RedAlert.mix>Hires1.mix, so you can replace them their afterwards or make a new Mix file for them (which is easier).  I didn't mind grabbing them because I need to make some new sidebars myself  :laugh:

Radar.zip