lag issues

hardman

So i posted this elsewhere in other topics but the issue seems to have not been picked up on.

I had been noticing sporadic lag in games but tonight was on a whole different level- much higher then we experienced on XWIS. The game would occasionally speed up for several seconds to a decent speed and then go back to lagging to the extreme which was unplayable. Most games must have averaged between 30-35 FPS. This was not in all games and we have had some games on CnCnet with very decent speeds. However, all games tonight were horrible.

I know everyone in the game has a sufficiently good connection to not cause such extreme lag from playing with them on XWIS. And i know people have configured their client to the best settings. Is there anything else we can do as players? Do the selection of tunneling servers make a difference?

Is there anything that could be improved server side? Why is the game not running at such a speed as say Gameranger? Players are coming across from other servers such as gameranger where they play with zero lag and complaining of speed issues (several players actually left 2 nights ago for this reason).  Suggestions? Hope this can be fixed or improved, either by our actions or improving the server.

The best way to check yourself for lag is to test skirmish, whilst toggling the settings such as videobackbuffer.

1 - make a game with an AI. Play it, go to speed options and put speed to fastest.

2 - note the speed, how fast are buildings being built?

3 - exit, toggle the videobackbuffer and repeat the same to see if there is a difference.

Also since you're on XP, make sure you haven't got ddraw.dll in your folder. It's only really for windows >= 8

Relating to the server issue: It could be that the tunnel servers are not being auto-selected by ping, instead by distance.  Iran is to investigate the lag issue further when he gets to it though so we'll wait for that result too.

The best way to check yourself for lag is to test skirmish, whilst toggling the settings such as videobackbuffer.

1 - make a game with an AI. Play it, go to speed options and put speed to fastest.

2 - note the speed, how fast are buildings being built?

3 - exit, toggle the videobackbuffer and repeat the same to see if there is a difference.

Also since you're on XP, make sure you haven't got ddraw.dll in your folder. It's only really for windows >= 8

The videobackbuffer thing i have already toggled and tested in skirmish. I have even gone as far as putting detail level on its lowest setting and unchecking use graphics patch- no change. One thing i havent tried is lowering my resolution- but i dont really want to have to do this.

I'll have a look at ddraw.dll when im next on.

The reason i said it might have actually been me, is people said it got better when i left- but i think this is the case when nearly any players leaves the game- speed increases. They later said they were still having laggy games.

Could it be the client wasnt designed for XP?