Access denied to Settings.ini file Win 8.1

Kaney

Hi, I've been trying to get Yuri's Revenge working on my Windows 8.1 laptop.

Right after installation it works, but when I exit the client and try to log back in, the client crashes and I get the following error message:

KABOOOOOOOM22

The CnCNet Client has crashed. Error Message:

Access to  C:\Program Files (x86)\EA Games\Command & Conquer

The First Decade\Command & Conquer Red Alert II\RA2\Settings.ini  denied

I have already tried to change authorization options of Settings.ini to full control permission, but this did not fix it.

Hi, I've been trying to get Yuri's Revenge working on my Windows 8.1 laptop.

Right after installation it works, but when I exit the client and try to log back in, the client crashes and I get the following error message:

KABOOOOOOOM22

Access to  C:\Program Files (x86)\EA Games\Command & Conquer

The First Decade\Command & Conquer Red Alert II\RA2\Settings.ini  denied

I have already tried to change authorization options of Settings.ini to full control permission, but this did not fix it.

Hello - firstly sorry for the inconvenience its causing.  If giving the Settings.ini full administrator permissions is not working, as a temporary workaround not clicking "OK" when the error message comes up will not close the client.

We are already aware of the issue, and It's in our tracker to be fixed on the next update.

KABOOOOOOOM22

Access to  [glow=red,2,300]C:\Program Files (x86)[/glow]\EA Games\Command & Conquer The First Decade\Command & Conquer Red Alert II\RA2\Settings.ini  denied

That's your problem right there, just don't install it there.

Giving full control access to the file for your regular 
Users

group indeed doesn't seem to cut it. To work around the write access restrictions imposed by Windows on that directory you would need to run the client as admin, or set the "

RUNASADMIN

" appcompat flag for the client executable (and preferably also for all other executables in your game directory, as well as 

game.dat

which is the CnCNet 5 YR executable, so that the game itself can actually modify its own INI files 

ra2.ini

and 

ra2md.ini

). Instead, just reinstall the game outside of any  "

Program Files*

"  directory on your system volume.

(It might be worthy to make some warning/info on this sticky, as the issue is obviously a recurrent one, especially given that TFD installs to  "

%SYSTEMDRIVE%\Program Files

"  by default (and ends up in  "

Program Files (x86)

"  if the OS is 64-bit)).