Fog of War

KevinLancaster

On 01/01/2017 at 9:28 PM, dkeeton said:

Fog of War causes crashes. I investigated it over the summer but I couldn't find a good way to prevent the crash and I gave up.

When a partially fogged building gets redrawn because it's near the bottom or top of the screen the fogged building image gets drawn outside of the memory allocated for the screen and causes an access violation modern operating systems. It might not have caused a crash on ME and 98 because I don't think they protected unallocated memory pages. And I think it might not crash on XP systems if you were using an older graphics card.

The regrowth of fog itself is the trigger for the crash so any regrowing Fog is out of the question.

What is possible is to have regrowing shroud.

If any one wants to try getting Fog working then feel free. I can send you all the information I have. Here is the TS repo so you can build test changes for yourself https://github.com/CnCNet/ts-patches

I was reading this post and was wondering, is it possible to use Windows 98 compatibility mode / MS Compatibility Toolkit to simulate the old memory management to be able to work around the crashes?

Edited by KevinLancaster